• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
These sorts of things are often overstated but he was unfollowed by a stack of Chelsea team mates. His position there is possibly untenable?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think they might end up having to sell him. It’s so much more racist than any of the other player racism scandals I can remember.
Yeah I think it's pretty outrageous tbh. I think the only thing that might save him is the fact that he's based in England/plays for an English side rather than a French one. Might allow for some brushing under the carpet PR. Imagine if England had won the Euros and he had said the same thing about the black English players.

CartyDurham

International Captain
A minor miracle has happened for Sunderland

Hemir Semedo has scored a goal after being at the club for a year, in a friendly in Spain

bring on the season

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
These sorts of things are often overstated but he was unfollowed by a stack of Chelsea team mates. His position there is possibly untenable?
Yeah I think this is the thing tbh. Even if Chelsea can navigate the situation from a PR point of view, which seems plausible, the day-to-day reality is that he would have to go back into a dressing room of players who for a large part absolutely hate his guts and/or think he's a complete ****.

On a more positive note, if Chelsea are then forced to sell him they will likely make a huge loss on his transfer fees, which is highly amusing.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
I think they might end up having to sell him. It’s so much more racist than any of the other player racism scandals I can remember.
I haven't seen the video (nor do I really want to) but from what I've read/heard there were a few players involved. Something like this usually goes far deeper and is clearly cultural.

Is there a particular reason he's getting the attention?

Totally get that Fofana has rightfully drawn attention to it and forced Chelsea to act, but I'm just struggling to see why the other Argentinian players aren't equally condemned.

Not really comparable but I did find the coverage of the Uruguayan team fighting fans in the stands somewhat similar. They picked Darwin as the media target and completely ignored every other big name player that was involved. To some extent I guess it comes with the territory of playing for an English team and being Darwin Nunez but it's just unfair journalism imo.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it any worse than Suarez at Liverpool?

That was a culture thing, think this is too. Just a lot of bad bells in South America.

Hope Chelsea sell him.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer

That was a culture thing, think this is too. Just a lot of bad bells in South America.

Hope Chelsea sell him.
Almost no chance they sell him. The only league capable of matching his £180k/w wages would be Saudi (and pretty unlikely he accepts a move there at his age).

If Chelsea want him gone they'll have to pay his wages to another club. Short odds would be a side like Juventus, Serie A has a pretty dismal track record with this sort of thing so I can see him going there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Chalking these sorts of incidents up as "a culture thing" is unideal imo. I know this is not what flibberty is doing, but the apparent implication of statements like this (to me anyway) is that something being "cultural" somehow makes it more excusable. I mean if a key constituent element of a culture is degrading people because of their race, that's a sign that the culture is pretty ****ing ****.

flibbertyjibber

No excuse for it at all but that is how it is portrayed in some parts of South America. They don't think they have said or done anything wrong when incidents like this occur which is really sad.

Uppercut

Maybe, it’s not really for me to say. The Suarez one was really bad too. The uncertainty about what exactly was said and what was intended bailed him out a bit. If it was recorded on video, and if Evra’s description of it is reasonably accurate, it might have impacted his career more.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Chalking these sorts of incidents up as "a culture thing" is unideal imo. I know this is not what flibberty is doing, but the apparent implication of statements like this (to me anyway) is that something being "cultural" somehow makes it more excusable. I mean if a key constituent element of a culture is degrading people because of their race, that's a sign that the culture is pretty ****ing ****.
Having lived in Argentina, I can assure you it is a cultural thing.

Doesn't make it excusable at all... but it does explain why so many teammates/coaches sat around watching it rather than telling them to stop.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Fernandez was paraded in the River Plate stadium and was serenaded by a full crowd of the song he is in trouble about