• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Hedley Verity

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Hmmmm...... Is alright at home and got outperformed by Ashwin every single time they played together, is alright at England and hardly better, is better in SA but who cares as he is still **** there, and to top it all of, is mid asf in SL and Pakistan; but you will celebrate those because he has won matches (not even series, in turning tracks, where he should do well regularly). He is at best around equal in non turners and miles behind when the ball turns (you know, places you actually expect your spinners to win matches). At best comparable to Jadeja.
Did Ashwin do anything like these games? So convenient to say Lyon was outperformed when he had games that Ashwin would dream of in the same series.

Nothing of what you said disputes Lyon being better in non-spinning conditions. This shouldn't be controversial.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Only biased drivelling idiots would ask Ashwin to repeat feats that Lyon performed IN SPIN FRIENDLY conditions, in freakin Australia.

I guess McGrath is an alsoran too coz he has no fifers in India. :laugh:

subshakerz

International Coach
Ashwin and Lyon are averaging the same in the matches they have played together in Australia. Ashwin in fact has 7 more wickets.

Lyon has enjoyed the support of a functioning pace bowling trio all through from 2011 onwards. Ashwin has bowled with ****s in 2011 and 2014, and until Bumrah came through in 2018 and a couple of others improved, didn't have the same support. Not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that Lyon has been better in those matches.

@capt_Luffy has already answered their relative performances in other countries.
Lyon actually bowled Australia to victory in 2014 and 2018, games that Ashwin happened to miss. It's misleading to leave that out while presenting Lyon as a failure when India tours.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
This is where you are letting your own subjective bias dictate how you assess quality by attaching your sense of series worth it.

Nobody rates McGraths good performance in 95 in WI higher than what it was even though it was the most important away series win of his career. His series in WI in 99 and India in 2001 should be rated better even though Aus didn't win either.
Glenn McGrath’s performance in the 95 wasn’t leagues near his performance in 99 WI. In Ashwin’s case I am saying that during the most important series between India and Australia: he outperformed Lyon, and Lyon sucked which could have easily been the difference between the sides. And not only were Ashwin’s raw stats better but the quality of the wickets he took was enormously important. 2014 series doesn’t matter that much objectively cause the home side which was expected to win, won. If Lyon outperforms Ashwin in India when Australia win a series, that will be a massive point in his favour correspondingly. An away series win is always a more important series(especially in this case), so your performances will be important here.

subshakerz

International Coach
Glenn McGrath’s performance in the 95 wasn’t leagues near his performance in 99 WI. In Ashwin’s case I am saying that during the most important series between India and Australia: he outperformed Lyon, and Lyon sucked which could have easily been the difference between the sides. And not only were Ashwin’s raw stats better but the quality of the wickets he took was enormously important. 2014 series doesn’t matter that much objectively cause the home side which was expected to win, won. If Lyon outperforms Ashwin in India when Australia win a series, that will be a massive point in his favour correspondingly. An away series win is always a more important series(especially in this case), so your performances will be important here.
Imran outperformed Marshall in head to head contests. It doesn't make him a better bowler.

You are making a lot of Lyon having a bad series in 2021 when Lyon actually won games in 2018 and 2014.

Sorry but throwing Ashwin's 2014 series under the carpet and glorifying 2021 is just your selectivity. Don't conflate team glory with his performance.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Imran outperformed Marshall in head to head contests. It doesn't make him a better bowler.

You are making a lot of Lyon having a bad series in 2021 when Lyon actually won games in 2018 and 2014.

Sorry but throwing Ashwin's 2014 series under the carpet and glorifying 2021 is just your selectivity. Don't conflate team glory with his performance.
It would had Marshall could be defined generously alright elsewise and Imran among GoAT at home.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin didn't just out bowl Lyon, he was arguably India's best bowler ahead of bumrah, Siraj, Jadeja etc. (those three were excellent too but ashwin has a great case). A finger spinner being the best bowler in a series win in Australia of all places is an almost unheard of thing. Pure bias that this doesn't get acknowledged widely. Lyon can take all the useless downhill skiing 4th innings 5fers he wants.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ashwin didn't just out bowl Lyon, he was arguably India's best bowler ahead of bumrah, Siraj, Jadeja etc. (those three were excellent too but ashwin has a great case). A finger spinner being the best bowler in a series win in Australia of all places is an almost unheard of thing. Pure bias that this doesn't get acknowledged widely.
Was he better than Siraj?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry but throwing Ashwin's 2014 series under the carpet and glorifying 2021 is just your selectivity.
Being the best bowler in two tests and then saving the third test batting with an injured back should need no further glorification. It should naturally be acknowledged as a truly great series but it isn't by haters , hence it must be brought up repeatedly to beat them into submission imo.

subshakerz

International Coach
Being the best bowler in two tests and then saving the third test batting with an injured back should need no further glorification. It should naturally be acknowledged as a truly great series but it isn't by haters , hence it must be brought up repeatedly to beat them into submission imo.
I thought we are talking about bowling. I'll be the first to acknowledge he was awesome saving that test with the bat.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
It's honestly not a crazy opinion to think Lyon is better. In fact, I don't get the ire when I posit that. Lyon is underrated.

Just accept I have different criteria by which I judge spinners.
You having different criterias isn't the problem Subz, them being inconsistent is.

subshakerz

International Coach
You having different criterias isn't the problem Subz, them being inconsistent is.
It's not inconsistent. I prefer spinners who can run through sides occasionally when needed in non-spinning conditions, and be a consistent threat in spinning conditions.

Lyon is better at the former, Ashwin at the latter, I tend to opt for those who are less condition dependent so I chose Lyon, but it's a close thing.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
It's not inconsistent. I prefer spinners who can run through sides occasionally when needed in non-spinning conditions, and be a consistent threat in spinning conditions.

Lyon is better at the former, Ashwin at the latter, I tend to opt for those who are less condition dependent so I chose Lyon, but it's a close thing.
You also repeatedly stated spinners winning Tests in non turning conditions is most important; Ashwin does that twice, outperforming Lyon. Not a rocket science, as those performances being better than Lyon's 6 fer in a won Test is.