• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Hedley Verity

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lyon to me a bit better than Ashwin. Ofc ourse, Ashwin having a great series in Aus this year may change it.
You can think Lyon is better all you want. Why does the second part change anything? Ashwin has already completely outperformed Lyon in Australia once. A second time shouldn't change things for anyone . You're a moron .

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
if ashwin takes 12 more wickets in aus, he will be the 2nd best overseas spinner in terms of wickets to ever play test cricket in australia

kumble is the only other spinner in the top 10 from this century

averages 4 wickets per test. will probably easily get there if he gets all 5 games this year
I assume Clarrie "the Kiwi" Grimmett is no 1.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Except he isn't good in England. He is also poor (overall) in Aus. And why do we ignore the times Lyon did pretty well against India in Aus and just focus on the series he sucked?
Cause that was a contribution in India’s most important win ever. A far more important series for Lyon and Ashwin, since India won that series in Australia. 2014 was not, since Australia managed to retain it: a predictable result, and a series no one will remember. But in the one, where Lyon should’ve been at his best to avoid a visitors win, he was not. In retrospect it becomes a far more important series for both sides, since it was a historical result, and in an away series a visiting spinner managed to colossally outperformed the home spinner: pretty simple

subshakerz

International Coach
You can think Lyon is better all you want. Why does the second part change anything? Ashwin has already completely outperformed Lyon in Australia once. A second time shouldn't change things for anyone . You're a moron .
Why is the criteria for Ashwin to only outperform Lyon in Australia once? Lyon can have an odd bad series it's completely unrelated to Ashwin. And if Lyon outperforms him in the other three series, what does that say?

subshakerz

International Coach
Cause that was a contribution in India’s most important win ever. A far more important series for Lyon and Ashwin, since India won that series in Australia. 2014 was not, since Australia managed to retain it: a predictable result, and a series no one will remember. But in the one, where Lyon should’ve been at his best to avoid a visitors win, he was not. In retrospect it becomes a far more important series for both sides, since it was a historical result, and in an away series a visiting spinner managed to colossally outperformed the home spinner: pretty simple
This is where you are letting your own subjective bias dictate how you assess quality by attaching your sense of series worth it.

Nobody rates McGraths good performance in 95 in WI higher than what it was even though it was the most important away series win of his career. His series in WI in 99 and India in 2001 should be rated better even though Aus didn't win either.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Course there is. Lyon is a better bowler in non-spinning conditions.
Hmmmm...... Is alright at home and got outperformed by Ashwin every single time they played together, is alright at England and hardly better, is better in SA but who cares as he is still **** there, and to top it all of, is mid asf in SL and Pakistan; but you will celebrate those because he has won matches (not even series, in turning tracks, where he should do well regularly). He is at best around equal in non turners and miles behind when the ball turns (you know, places you actually expect your spinners to win matches). At best comparable to Jadeja.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Like I said, Ash is the greatest spinner since Murali-Warne and a lead candidate for the 3rd greatest spinner of all time.

Lyon is not even the 2nd greatest spinner currently playing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
4th Best imo. Bill O'Reilly's record is basically perfect and imo he would had been better than Warne and Murali without the War pretty clearly.
Yeah but 4th best still = candidate for 3rd best IMO. I am not very keen or interested in rating players I have not seen. I will take other people who have watched more cricket than me on their word. So even if I put O'Reilly at 3, just the fact that Ash can be in that argument makes him that much greater.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Ashwin and Lyon are averaging the same in the matches they have played together in Australia. Ashwin in fact has 7 more wickets.

Lyon has enjoyed the support of a functioning pace bowling trio all through from 2011 onwards. Ashwin has bowled with ****s in 2011 and 2014, and until Bumrah came through in 2018 and a couple of others improved, didn't have the same support. Not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that Lyon has been better in those matches.

@capt_Luffy has already answered their relative performances in other countries.