• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Meaningless career averages. Do their averages under Stokes. Crawley’s will be below par as his upturn came later. Duckett, Pope above 40. Root above 50, Brook above 60. Stokes I’m guessing around about on par with his career average
Exactly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We did whitewash Bangladesh in BD not so long ago , and we've won in England before ..Worst is harsh !
Nah, summers when SL tour here are the worst. They never give a yelp except for randomly winning an ODI v Aus at the SCG each tour. Even when they had an objectively strong side they always sucked here. I know it's only one destination but I got sick of shelling out hard earned on a mob which barely put in grade standard performances.

Qlder

International Debutant
Perhaps we should win a test in the Caribbean before we start patronising the WI team.
Actually a very good point. England hasn't won a series in West Indies for 20 years and they've only won 2 tests in those 20 years (14T - 2W - 5L - 7D)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, summers when SL tour here are the worst. They never give a yelp except for randomly winning an ODI v Aus at the SCG each tour. Even when they had an objectively strong side they always sucked here. I know it's only one destination but I got sick of shelling out hard earned on a mob which barely put in grade standard performances.
Who you trying to kid?

flibbertyjibber

Meaningless career averages. Do their averages under Stokes. Crawley’s will be below par as his upturn came later. Duckett, Pope above 40. Root above 50, Brook above 60. Stokes I’m guessing around about on par with his career average
You can't cherry pick like that though. Even if Pope keeps his average at Stokes captaincy level he will never get near averaging 40 in his career which isn't really good enough.

Duckett I won't criticise as he has a superb record since he came back in and is our best opener since Cook and Strauss. Crawley we know what he is, a player of great innings not a great player, just as likely to fail like this week as come off like last week. He has had a very good 12 months though so hopefully that continues.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Am I missing something here, England are probably the third best Test side in the World.

@flibbertyjibber get away with this looking down at everyone. If we're average than who's actually good in your eyes?

Only India and Australia? If so why you watching cricket anymore if you derive so little joy out of a good test match?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Think it’s only flibberty tbf, in terms of England fans.
Yeah 100 percent I've seen nothing but praise for the Windies from most England fans on the other forum I post on too. All but FJ on here have praised WI.

It's easy to acknowledge the Windies are an inexperienced side, while commending them on batting very well in the first dig and dismissing our final 7 for 96 in our second dig.

Sides don't prepare for away tours anymore it's hard for sides to get going in conditions they've barely played in now.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You can't cherry pick like that though. Even if Pope keeps his average at Stokes captaincy level he will never get near averaging 40 in his career which isn't really good enough.

Duckett I won't criticise as he has a superb record since he came back in and is our best opener since Cook and Strauss. Crawley we know what he is, a player of great innings not a great player, just as likely to fail like this week as come off like last week. He has had a very good 12 months though so hopefully that continues.
It’s not cherry picking when we’re talking about how good the side is now

Groundking

International Debutant
1721640098281.png

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Where Stokes has been really good is giving his team-mates the confidence to go out there and perform, instead of being intimidated by international cricket. Bashir and Hartley are obvious examples. Maybe Atkinson, although it's very early days. Probably Brook although he's talented enough to do something at this level whoever's in charge. Pope and Crawley probably. Bairstow's upturn in 2022 before be was too injured and too fat. I suppose I'm saying that he's got the side to be more than the sum of its parts. Go back 12 months, and I thought we'd lose 3-1 to Australia because, man-for-man, that looked the likeliest outcome. Well that didn't happen, did it. I'm old enough and grumpy enough to be unhappy with some of the performances some of the time, but lets give the ginger bugger credit where due. And, by extension, let's give the side some credit too.

EDIT
I should have included Duckett in that list of course. Not just because his test figures have been so much better than what he previously managed, as that was eons ago. But more because he's had the freedom to play the way he does. And, without checking, I suspect that his test performances since he returned to the side are significantly better than his CC stats would have suggested. And then there are the individual performances. Jacks taking a six-fer on debut was ridiculous. Ahmed is at least a proper bowler, but to come in and take a five-for on debut and at his age was quite something. Then there's Joverton scoring 97 on debut against a decent NZ attack who had reduced us to 55 for 6. I think it happens too often to be a coincidence.

Last edited:

CartyDurham

International Captain
The strange thing in the recent postings is that I’ve got most of them on ignore basically as they post to annoy and nothing else

Also most of them never posted in match time

says a lot that imo and now they are getting a kick out of contrary posts

flibbertyjibber

The strange thing in the recent postings is that I’ve got most of them on ignore basically as they post to annoy and nothing else

Also most of them never posted in match time

says a lot that imo and now they are getting a kick out of contrary posts
Says the bloke who hasn't been here for most of the last year.