• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't mind the look of Atkinson but he seems a bit skiddy from the little I've seen of him, and I don't know if that's what you need here, which let's be honest is all that matters. I'd be more bullish about your chances here if Archer is able to string some games together and play a full tour, he's the right type of bowler for our conditions.

Bashir also looks ok but visiting finger spinners often struggle here. Woakes as you say is a non-event away from home. Wood bowled well here last time but whether he's around to tour, of course, depends on both injuries and WADA staying away. What happened to that Josh Tongue bloke? He bowled decently last year and had a bit about him. Is he injured or just been passed up?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't mind the look of Atkinson but he seems a bit skiddy from the little I've seen of him, and I don't know if that's what you need here, which let's be honest is all that matters. I'd be more bullish about your chances here if Archer is able to string some games together and play a full tour, he's the right type of bowler for our conditions.

Bashir also looks ok but visiting finger spinners often struggle here. Woakes as you say is a non-event away from home. Wood bowled well here last time but whether hes' around to tour, of course, depends on injuries and WADA staying away. What happened to that Josh Tongue bloke? He bowled decently last year and had a bit about him. Is he injured or just been passed up?
RE Tongue - injured. Pretty sure he’d have been ahead of Atkinson.

Pennington will likely debut next week. Potts strikes me as a bowler who will likely do well at home but not sure elsewhere. Sam Cook may get a chance I guess? Just lots of questions.

RE your spinner point. I suppose Rehan could come into contention for Oz but think his red ball game has a way to go yet which leaves him behind the other two young lads for now.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
No chance. Said it as I see it not drunk.

This summer is a real letdown with 2 poor sides taking on a very ordinary home one. Hardly worth watching.
Did you even watch though? This was a great Test, as everyone who actually did watch it has attested. So all you're doing by 'saying it as you see it' is showing just how wrong-headedly you see it.

flibbertyjibber

Did you even watch though? This was a great Test, as everyone who actually did watch it has attested. So all you're doing by 'saying it as you see it' is showing just how wrong-headedly you see it.
I watched large parts and we won easily in the end as they had chances to put us away and couldn't. We are an average side and we have won a series with 2 big victories. Says I all.

flibbertyjibber

Where’s this ‘England are a poor side’ bit coming from flibberty?

We had a tough time in India but that’s the only series we’ve lost under this captain. Theres a bit of transition at the minute but we have a consistent batting line up that very rarely collapses, and some decent bowlers coming through albeit nobody knows the make up of our best attack just yet.

The cricket played throughout the bulk of this Test was of a pretty good standard with no side getting too far away from the other.
We have a top 6 which includes 3 players averaging under 36 with a combined amount of just under 200 matches. A brand new bowling attack with a leader who averages 50 away from home and a wicket keeper making his way in the game. We play a good side we will struggle at home or away

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
RE Tongue - injured. Pretty sure he’d have been ahead of Atkinson.

Pennington will likely debut next week. Potts strikes me as a bowler who will likely do well at home but not sure elsewhere. Sam Cook may get a chance I guess? Just lots of questions.

RE your spinner point. I suppose Rehan could come into contention for Oz but think his red ball game has a way to go yet which leaves him behind the other two young lads for now.
I was pleased to see Bashir do well yesterday, but he just gives me the vibe of a player who when facing top quality right-handed batters could absolutely be hit all over the joint. Even some of the Windies lads clearly fancied him yesterday, as evidenced by the fact that despite picking up numerous wickets he still got smashed into the stands on more than a few occasions. He's still young though obviously, so plenty of time to develop further, but some of the headlines hyping him this morning fill me with a sense of disquiet.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
RE: England being a poor/average side, the fact that Stokes is now seemingly fit and can actually bowl properly again (and can even actually walk properly again ffs) makes a huge difference to the team as a whole imo.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Deep fielder ratings based on fox stand interactions:

Shamar Joseph 5/10
Very little interaction after being sledged for poor fielding. Understandable

Mikyle Louis 11/10
Was sledged once for poor fielding, several crowd members saw this as unfair and began enthusiastically supporting him and he was showered with praise from that point on, which was acknowledged, to much joy. Briefly became the hero of the stand, including where Wood was dropped twice in succession, leading to rousing chants of 'Louis would have caught that, Louis would have caught that, la la la la'

Ben Duckett 8/10
Relatively short interaction period focusing on him wearing two pairs of sunglasses at once. Responded to 'hes got two sunnies on his head' to the tune of 'she'll be coming round the mountain' by tantalisingly threatening to remove the second pair of sunglasses, to much tension. Politely declined an offer of cake.

Ollie Pope 9/10
Consistent and significant acknowledgement of Fox stand members' advice. Was sledged for the jumping fist-pump celebration of a wicket he was nothing to do with, to which he responded 'team game, lads'. Celebrated subsequent wickets with equal vigour, and in a way that was impersonated by the crowd from that point on.

Zak Crawley 3/10
Some mild responses to 'Crawley, Crawley give us a wave' but that was about it. Repeatedly ignored some key moments of interaction:
- Offer of cake
- Compliments on his jumper
- Multiple polite requests to replace himself with Ollie Pope

flibbertyjibber

Won easily as of the last hour though. What counts is the play by play, which was incredibly close throughout. Classic hindsight stuff.
Not really. Once we had a lead of 275 plus the game was done. They weren't scoring big again, been skittled 3 times in 4 innings. That is poor on the pitches we are on

Burgey

RE: England being a poor/average side, the fact that Stokes is now seemingly fit and can actually bowl properly again (and can even actually walk properly again ffs) makes a huge difference to the team as a whole imo.
Yeah a properly functioning 5th bowler, especially if they're experienced across a range of conditions, makes a big difference to any team.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Won easily as of the last hour though. What counts is the play by play, which was incredibly close throughout. Classic hindsight stuff.
I mean, it wasn't though was it? It was for the majority of the proceedings, but the last hour where WI completely bottled it was still part of the match.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really. Once we had a lead of 275 plus the game was done. They weren't scoring big again, been skittled 3 times in 4 innings. That is poor on the pitches we are on
It was unlikely of course, but in the context of the match itself, where the pitch didn't really change much until we got to bowling on the fourth evening, they were in touch. Most of the benefit for us was from batting first, which of course they made us do, but nonetheless we didn't beat their first innings. And this worst touring team ever still managed to chase 300+ with relative ease a while back.

Just not really sure why the complete disdain, it's not at all earned. How come everyone else enjoyed this and you're sour?

flibbertyjibber

Yeah a properly functioning 5th bowler, especially if they're experienced across a range of conditions, makes a big difference to any team.
How long will it last though?

The fact he only bowled 12 overs in the match is a concern. Obviously wasn't needed in 2nd innings but should have bowled more in first.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Don't kill me with semantics man. Start of my post makes clear that's what I mean.
Haha yeah I get what you mean, but what you've basically said is "The match was competitive throughout... as long as we discount and ignore the part of the match where it was not competitive at all". I appreciate I am being somewhat facetious, but I was just poking fun at the way cherry picking/arbitrarily excluding relevant factors/data like this can lead to misleading conclusions.

In any event, "I performed really well to begin with but fell away at the very end" is the kind of thing said by blokes with marital problems/displeased wives.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We have a top 6 which includes 3 players averaging under 36 with a combined amount of just under 200 matches. A brand new bowling attack with a leader who averages 50 away from home and a wicket keeper making his way in the game. We play a good side we will struggle at home or away
Meaningless career averages. Do their averages under Stokes. Crawley’s will be below par as his upturn came later. Duckett, Pope above 40. Root above 50, Brook above 60. Stokes I’m guessing around about on par with his career average