• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

the big bambino

International Captain
But that's whataboutism , How Mark Wood responded to his injury got nothing to do with Shamar Joseph
I think it’s quite relevant. Both responded well enough to play. I mean he wasn’t like Lillee who bowled off half his run up with a bad back. We all know fast bowlers bowl with niggles and cricbuzz didn’t notice such a discrepancy.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
So did Mark Wood but his speeds were still good. From what I saw in cricbuzz Joseph was around the same as previously.
Joseph's average speed was down by 4 mph in this series as compared to Australia. His top speed in Australia ws nearly 93mph, here he barely broke 90mph. He was not fit. Case closed.

Your other points about Australia not being arsed because of all their previous achievements etc, probably has some merit. But at the end of the day Australia did not play terrible cricket. If you analyse the dismissals, they were simply outplayed by Shamar. Possibly the bowling levels dropped off slightly, allowing Hodge, Da Silva and Sinclair to put up enough runs for us to bowl to.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
I think it’s quite relevant. Both responded well enough to play. I mean he wasn’t like Lillee who bowled off half his run up with a bad back. We all know fast bowlers bowl with niggles and cricbuzz didn’t notice such a discrepancy.
Did you actually watch any of those 3 Tests and Shamar bowling (you could visibly see him struggling and him leaving the field for treatment) or are you just going on cricbuzz text commentary?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Joseph's average speed was down by 4 mph in this series as compared to Australia. His top speed in Australia ws nearly 93mph, here he barely broke 90mph. He was not fit. Case closed.

Your other points about Australia not being arsed because of all their previous achievements etc, probably has some merit. But at the end of the day Australia did not play terrible cricket. If you analyse the dismissals, they were simply outplayed by Shamar. Possibly the bowling levels dropped off slightly, allowing Hodge, Da Silva and Sinclair to put up enough runs for us to bowl to.
Dont you know that when Aussies win its because of how they played to their potential and when they lose, its coz they did not?

What do you think? There was another team whose play may have had some bearing on the result of a cricket game involving AUSTRALIA??

C'mon mate. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No offence to bambino, who always brings something interesting to the table, but I don’t really get the point. If the reason Australia lost was because they couldn’t get to the required intensity, then that just says bad things about them as a side. Great Aussie sides of the past wouldn’t draw a series to this current Windies side. The Aussie side has very high peaks but can be terrible. Not that dissimilar to current England in reality.

The score lines may say it was a walloping but the second Test was close and the third was for a while. England would have got over the line faced with a Brisbane IMO. But Australia would probably have made a better fist of going one up in India.

Not to say Windies didn’t perform better in Oz, but it takes two to tango and I certainly don’t see how England managing a whitewash gives any context to Australia tying a series at home with an opponent they’d expect to beat.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He bowled about the same here as he did at Adelaide. His second innings spell, including the match winning one, was noticeably faster than in the other three innings in the Aus series.

the big bambino

International Captain
Did you actually watch any of those 3 Tests and Shamar bowling (you could visibly see him struggling and him leaving the field for treatment) or are you just going on cricbuzz text commentary?
I can't access OS test series. Probably just as well as I'd spend time watching that I can't really spare. So I keep us as best I can by opening tabs on cricbuzz/cricinfo or tour threads. So if I'm misinformed you guys are partly to blame. :happy:

the big bambino

International Captain

Tch tch tch ... Excuses excuses ...

It's not often I find the circumstance to quote an idiot but I've found a useful one below. if only to paraphrase.

Dont you know that when WEST INDIES win its because of SHAMAR BOWLED TO HIS potential and when they lose, its coz HE HAD A BOOWA?

C'mon mate. :p
See how it's done? :D Now a little more seriously.

I wasn't on the site when the WI won but I could imagine the euphoria on CW when they did. But surely you still have to think of the circumstances of your team's victory? I can relate. The most emotional I've got over Australia was when we beat the WI once in 85/86 and Eng in 86/87. We were a bad side and I was grateful for any win. I can remember screaming at the tv set to put on Sleep and Reid against Eng. Sleep couldn't keep a length when he was attacked. But the circumstances meant England had to play defensively. His each way spin was a better option than Peter Taylor who had 8 wickets in the match until then. England blocked, Sleep grew in confidence and bowled them out. Geez I was happy.

But I knew it meant little beyond getting a rare win. The WI now are in the same position as us then. The win v Australia was a great effort and thoroughly deserved. But i still think it has to be put into perspective that the recent series against England puts into focus. It's harder finding winning opportunities against a team that is at the beginning of their season and building to the Ashes than one that has just succeeded at the WTC, CWC and retained the Ashes and coming off a peak.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
No offence to bambino, who always brings something interesting to the table, but I don’t really get the point. If the reason Australia lost was because they couldn’t get to the required intensity, then that just says bad things about them as a side. Great Aussie sides of the past wouldn’t draw a series to this current Windies side. The Aussie side has very high peaks but can be terrible. Not that dissimilar to current England in reality.

The score lines may say it was a walloping but the second Test was close and the third was for a while. England would have got over the line faced with a Brisbane IMO. But Australia would probably have made a better fist of going one up in India.

Not to say Windies didn’t perform better in Oz, but it takes two to tango and I certainly don’t see how England managing a whitewash gives any context to Australia tying a series at home with an opponent they’d expect to beat.
Well to start, ok and thanks. It's refreshing not to have your motives questioned by those projecting their own foibles. I like my country but I don't go around spruiking Aussie Aussie oi oi oi. The only Aussie paraphernalia I've worn is a T shirt with the flag on it. And only to keep the sun off while swimming.

I agree with your comments about this Aussie side. It's just as well they had the season they did. I have more concerns for the immediate future as the side is aging. I can see more leaves falling than buds coming through. All the same I don't see it unreasonable to say Australia was looking tired by the WI series. They were against Pakistan. Plus we had lost Warner at the top of the innings. These are things for an opponent to exploit and the WI did. But keep it in perspective as they are still short of the mark. That's why i think the recent series is a reminder you won't always find your opponents in the same circumstance as they did in Australia. It is just an opinion - not an excuse.