• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't know enough about strategies & bowling, but I thought having a balanced attack was key. Does it make sense to bring Wood in the XI because Atkinson performed so well ? I guess it does if the selectors have gone for that :)
Though, I would have been curious to see Pennington have a bowl!
Also, I wonder if trying to have Dan Lawrence as England's spinner on 'not so spin friendly pitches' wouldn't have been a good move ? He does bowl quite a lot, and I wonder if his bowling isn't underrated a bit. And it might be better to have a good batter who you train to be an even better spinner than he is, than a spinner that you might not need ?

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Also, I wonder if trying to have Dan Lawrence as England's spinner on 'not so spin friendly pitches' wouldn't have been a good move ? He does bowl quite a lot, and I wonder if his bowling isn't underrated a bit. And it might be better to have a good batter who you train to be an even better spinner than he is, than a spinner that you might not need ?
They kinda tried that with Moeen and his batting fell away. Part-time spinners tend to be either wicket taking bowlers who go for a lot of runs or containing/economical bowlers who don't pick up many wickets.

Ideally you want a spinner who can be a containing bowler and who can also take wickets. Getting to this level really requires a full-time commitment.

England have a good PT option in Joe Root so no need for a Dan Lawrence type, plus with Stokes bowling again they can afford the luxury of always having a spinner in the side.

Qlder

International Debutant
Hilarious that they dropped Anderson to give youth a chance to develop before the Ashes, and then they go with Woakes (35) and Wood (34) 😀

Molehill

International Captain
Hilarious that they dropped Anderson to give youth a chance to develop before the Ashes, and then they go with Woakes (35) and Wood (34) 😀
Got to be honest, I don't get this selection either. Surely, this is an opportunity to find out about Pennington or Potts.

Reactions: FBU

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Like I said last week, my take was that they told Anderson he was done at the end of the summer and he decided he wanted to go out at Lord's.

I would have let Jimmy carry on as long as he wanted...NZ and Pakistan away, yes please...but I don't think talking about who we've picked for this next game actually proves anything at all

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
So Windies win the toss and choose to field. I'm guessing that Brathwaite has little confidence in his team's batting to do well, given the weather appears to be quite good for batting. That said, their strength is probably with the bowling, although Motie is out through illness and Sinclair is in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Like I said last week, my take was that they told Anderson he was done at the end of the summer and he decided he wanted to go out at Lord's.

I would have let Jimmy carry on as long as he wanted...NZ and Pakistan away, yes please...but I don't think talking about who we've picked for this next game actually proves anything at all
If they've told Anderson he's done at the end of the summer have they told the same to Woakes?

If not, questions of Woakes continuing to play and not Jimmeh are still valid.

In fairness to Woakes he did bowl much better last summer than Anderson...

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
If they've told Anderson he's done at the end of the summer have they told the same to Woakes?

If not, questions of Woakes continuing to play and not Jimmeh are still valid.

In fairness to Woakes he did bowl much better last summer than Anderson...
I think it has been overlooked at how badly Anderson did last summer when he did look somewhat world weary. It's not like he took to many wickets in India either, despite being difficult to get away.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I think it has been overlooked at how badly Anderson did last summer when he did look somewhat world weary. It's not like he took to many wickets in India either, despite being difficult to get away.
I've got no issue with Jimmy not being picked.

I just think there was no need to retire him. He could have remained in the squad as an option and him Woakes/Wood rotated alongside giving new players a go.

I don't see the point in picking two of them 3 in the same team if the goal is future proofing the side.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Yes he was terrible. But he has always struggled vs Australia even at home. And India is the hardest place to play in.
He played back to back series vs the best test teams in the world.

Chubb

International Regular
Ha! Had a very meh day but nothing quite cheers me up as much as seeing Crawley fail.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Yes he was terrible. But he has always struggled vs Australia even at home. And India is the hardest place to play in.
He played back to back series vs the best test teams in the world.
Well if you're English, always struggling against Australia is a big problem considering the Ashes rivalry which is the most important series for England..
Minnow bashing the lesser teams for stat padding can be done even by rookie bowlers

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I've got no issue with Jimmy not being picked.

I just think there was no need to retire him. He could have remained in the squad as an option and him Woakes/Wood rotated alongside giving new players a go.

I don't see the point in picking two of them 3 in the same team if the goal is future proofing the side.
I share those concerns, but an issue is aren't we likely to be going round in circles when we next play tougher opposition. I agree that it seems strange that he is let go after the first game, but at the same time when IS a good time if we note that he has struggled when the going has got tougher? Not so easy.