• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If they've told Anderson he's done at the end of the summer have they told the same to Woakes?

If not, questions of Woakes continuing to play and not Jimmeh are still valid.

In fairness to Woakes he did bowl much better last summer than Anderson...
He did and I've no gripe with him playing home tests (very useful cricketer, ideal for English seaming decks, lower order runs and all), but as one of the reasons given for moving on from Jimmeh is t'Ashes Woakes's retention does kinda make it look like bullplop given his less than stellar away record.

Chubb

International Regular
Everything England do is about the Ashes, which is one reason the series should be abolished.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did and I've no gripe with him playing home tests (very useful cricketer, ideal for English seaming decks, lower order runs and all), but as one of the reasons given for moving on from Jimmeh is t'Ashes Woakes's retention does kinda make it look like bullplop given his less than stellar away record.
Nah Woakes will be 38 during the 2027 Ashes, recent history tells us he has a non-zero chance of being able to contribute at that age.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Only just turned on. Seems an odd one to bowl first in glorious sunshine.

But as I type Crawley goes 😂
Yep despite the start I think this a mental toss decision.

Getting this England side in on first in sunshine in England is asking for trouble.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Pope slowing down our victory push with his Boycottesque strike rate of 150. He's playing within himself like he thinks it's a T20 game and not a Test.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well I think we are for Woakes specifically. Not really an age thing in that case.
The very nub of my gist:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah if you cut Woakes now you're writing off any possibility of him playing in 2027. He's arguably England's best player at home and could easily make a contribution at age 38, especially if that's the focus and they can manage his load towards doing so.