• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
pretty sure West Indies A has become more active in the past 12 months, touring Bangladesh and South Africa.

all these suggestions are just band aids tho. call up the white ball players, pick Sinclair, Shamar will acclimatise blah blah blah

until West Indian governance improves (never gonna happen) and ICC funds are distributed more fairly (never gonna happen) the West Indies will continue to flounder.
I would argue top level governance (CWI) has improved dramatically over the last 2 years. We have the academy system and really impressive central coaching programmes in place.

The big problem remaining is the territorial boards. What on earth have the Jamaica Cricket Association been doing to develop cricket in their country? The answer is nothing. Berbice in Guyana have much more robust programmes than Jamaica and they are a county. It's disgraceful. It's no accident that Guyana are producing good cricketers and Jamaica are not.

The more even distribution of wealth is a fundamental problem that the ICC don't look interested in solving.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would argue top level governance (CWI) has improved dramatically over the last 2 years. We have the academy system and really impressive central coaching programmes in place.

The big problem remaining is the territorial boards. What on earth have the Jamaica Cricket Association been doing to develop cricket in their country? The answer is nothing. Berbice in Guyana have much more robust programmes than Jamaica and they are a county. It's disgraceful. It's no accident that Guyana are producing good cricketers and Jamaica are not.

The more even distribution of wealth is a fundamental problem that the ICC don't look interested in solving.
This is a good place to highlight these two entities: one at one end of the spectrum and the other at the opposite end.

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
" There are dangers attached to England talking about Australia this far away from the trip down under. " is about the only bit of sense in that crapload.

Amazed to see Josh Hull touted as Ashes hopefull [FC 10 wkts at 80].
It seems thay still have [or Shemelt thinks so] an obsession with 2m+ bowlers.

Hopefully England are gonna concentrate on the matches this summer not fixated on
avoiding future ashes humiliation down under.

Isura

U19 Captain

Usain Bolt is mostly to blame I guess. I heard basketball is very popular in the Caribbean these days. Is that true? I imagine the top athletes aren't coming into cricket anymore.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Usain Bolt is mostly to blame I guess. I heard basketball is very popular in the Caribbean these days. Is that true? I imagine the top athletes aren't coming into cricket anymore.
There's enough talent going around, just no pathway. So many TALENTED U19 batsmen end up taking until 25 to develop at all.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Merge the US and West Indies cricket boards. Windies has the talent, the US the money.
Good idea. They could eventually even make it a college sport and give out scholarships to some of that Caribbean talent. Good pathway to expanding the game over there.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
This is honestly the most frustrating falsehood out there. We have ridiculous talent throughout the region. Just look at some of our under 17 and under 19 players. But they do not get developed in the same way unfortunately, we lose them between 20 and 23.

ma1978

International Debutant
Good idea. They could eventually even make it a college sport and give out scholarships to some of that Caribbean talent. Good pathway to expanding the game over there.
There’s something here. I’m seeing the MLC on TV in random restaurants and bars. My niece who lives in a rural area where there are hardly any South Asians / Caribbeans does cricket for PE every now and then. It’s logistically feasible and the US is technically the West Indies.

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
They replace a 41yrold with 34 yrold, what happened to picking players for the future?
on 5live they suggested england want to win the series first before they pick
potty or penny. Wood bowled fast in the windies but he got collared by everyone
except the omanis.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Back in the day we used to pin/sticky tour threads.

@mods, get it done please. It’s test cricket.

Anyways, we’ve announced our XI to play in the second test. Unchanged. A losing combination remains a losing combination, maybe, they are now accustomed to the Lord’s wicket.