• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Conway continuing to have a problem with Right arm round the wicket. Apart from Piedt, Moreki was hard out targeting his front pad from round the wicket and Conway did not look convincing as he played around his front pad to keep the probing deliveries out.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
At least Conway lasted long enough that no one else had to bat tonight. Had we sent a night watchman in that would have mucked up our run chase plans tomorrow.

Meridio

International Regular
Very disappointing for Conway to not make it through to stumps...feel like he was hell bent on surviving there to the point where he actually forgot to bat. Got in a tangle with that loopy ball where he yorked himself - was a very juicy full toss if he'd gone forward and he should have smacked it out of the park, and I think that gave Piedt the confidence to really try and rip one, which he did. Was a cracking ball though Conway played it badly, angle of the bat was all wrong, was going towards mid on and well in front of his body.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Very disappointing for Conway to not make it through to stumps...feel like he was hell bent on surviving there to the point where he actually forgot to bat. Got in a tangle with that loopy ball where he yorked himself - was a very juicy full toss if he'd gone forward and he should have smacked it out of the park, and I think that gave Piedt the confidence to really try and rip one, which he did. Was a cracking ball though Conway played it badly, angle of the bat was all wrong, was going towards mid on and well in front of his body.
Also on one of the previous deliveries he offered a bat pad opportunity but there was no fielder there. I felt that influenced him to try to play the fateful delivery only with his bat rather than his bat and pad together.
Probably Latham was thinking to himself "I would have gone back foot to that jaffa".

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Surely O'Rourke has done enough to book himself into the test series against Aussie. An attack with him and Jamieson in it could be half way useful.

He reminds me of an old fashioned nasty fasty. Likes to hit people on the body. Looked really pleased with himself when he hit Von Berg in the stomach.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Like a taller version of a 90's Baldwin brother?
Hahaha that is spot on.

OK, so @Flem274* I'm torn on Will. Big, strapping young man, perfectly educated, good blood lines. However, I'm not sold on a couple of points. One is the eyes - not as striking as I'd like. They just don't seem to draw you in, to engage you. Second, I would like a touch more swagger. He seems like a lovely young man, but the 'gee is that OK umpire I didn't think I'd take five on debut' look he gave when Paterson nicked out...I just need a bit more fire.

But he is in the SteveNZ XI and has been since the Aussie A tour, so it's a fine day for our organisation.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Conway continuing to have a problem with Right arm round the wicket. Apart from Piedt, Moreki was hard out targeting his front pad from round the wicket and Conway did not look convincing as he played around his front pad to keep the probing deliveries out.
Yep he really is cooked with that angle. Did OK initially and tried to bat positively, but still can play around that front pad and is following the ball with his hands in the channel. T20 habits? I dunno.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
O'Rourke obviously has to play the Australia tests now.

Part of me wishes we'd saved him until then and ambushed the Aussies, rather than giving them the chance to study video footage from the last few days. But that's probably a fair trade-off with the confidence boost that he should take from this performance.
Yep he's in that XI now. He has to be. If the Basin/Hagley are featherbeds we need his extra pace/bounce.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I used to bowl part time off spin. I was very good in lower grades as I could put it on a dime every delivery for an entire spell. I once took 7 wickets in a Gillette cup match.
When I bowled in the premier division I was destroyed consistently. All my good nuts went for prolific sixes. The top batsman could hit me at will for a boundary and only played a defensive shot when they had already filled their boots for the over.
Nonetheless based on my experience bowling spin I think the reason for Rachin's implosion today and falling apart at the bowling crease is his run up. It is a non repeatable run up. He bobbles up and and down with his legs with his upper body raising and lowering six inches to a whole foot with each stride on the way to the bowling crease, instead of a run up like Piedt's or Lyons where they just stroll to the crease with a level head throughout it and rely on their jump and bowling action to deliver the ball. If I were bowling coach I would be working on reinventing Rachin's run up and probably shortening it to a few steps.

My two cents only.

Rachin is by far better than Phillips though.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Mitchell would be handy here as he would smash Piedt over his head. May need to promote Wagner as Dane’s a threat here if you are not doing anything. Bowled three half volleys to start their spell and none were put away.
Captain needs to bowl tomorrow as well. It was only O’Rourke that made von Berg look serviceable.
Latham and Williamson need to take charge and bring out their spin batting chops. Lyon will be watching closely too. Rachin and Phillips can hit of course but they’re up against someone who’s in control of his craft.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Sears and O'Rourke have similar actions. In my humble view.
O'Rourke also looks like he bowls the heaviest ball I have seen in quite some time. On a couple of occassions I thought Bedinghams bat had broken playing a forward defence stroke.

Final comment, how thrilling was it to hear one of the female commentators describe Will's spell as being "ferocious". When was the last time we heard that about one of our quicks?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Sears and O'Rourke have similar actions. In my humble view.
O'Rourke also looks like he bowls the heaviest ball I have seen in quite some time. On a couple of occassions I thought Bedinghams bat had broken playing a forward defence stroke.

Final comment, how thrilling was it to hear one of the female commentators describe Will's spell as being "ferocious". When was the last time we heard that about one of our quicks?
This is a very timely performance given how medium-paced the attack is looking. We are pretty much at the closing stages of the Southee-Boult-Wagner era (even if 2/3 of them are still active in tests), so great to see the options come in. If Shipley can bounce back from injury he too should be in the frame.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is a very timely performance given how medium-paced the attack is looking. We are pretty much at the closing stages of the Southee-Boult-Wagner era (even if 2/3 of them are still active in tests), so great to see the options come in. If Shipley can bounce back from injury he too should be in the frame.
an attack of shipely O'Rourke and Jamieson would have some serious height and bounce