• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
One thing I will say is that barring a sudden outbreak of covid, this is Wagner's last test. I think the selectors decided to use this game as a bowl off for who'd be the reserve/4th seamer for the Australia series. Last season when it was Tickner and Kugz waiting in the wings you could still make a plausible argument that Wagz brought more to the side (even if it was mostly based on all the credit he's built up in the bank over the past decade). But now there's no way you can justify that, especially with guys like Smith and Foulkes producing similarly superior numbers in domestics.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing I will say is that barring a sudden outbreak of covid, this is Wagner's last test. I think the selectors decided to use this game as a bowl off for who'd be the reserve/4th seamer for the Australia series. Last season when it was Tickner and Kugz waiting in the wings you could still make a plausible argument that Wagz brought more to the side (even if it was mostly based on all the credit he's built up in the bank over the past decade). But now there's no way you can justify that, especially with guys like Smith and Foulkes producing similarly superior numbers in domestics.
If the selectors did anything but pick the best XI to beat SA and win the series, I'd be livid.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Okay score card to wake up to. Well done to Bedingham.

Do you remember all how fuming Duminy was when WP/Cobras lost Bedingham to overseas. Because CSA where sitting around twiddling their thumbs and not selecting him for national duty. A big positive from him this series.
Wasn't it Prince?

Flem274*

123/5
Hahaha that is spot on.

OK, so @Flem274* I'm torn on Will. Big, strapping young man, perfectly educated, good blood lines. However, I'm not sold on a couple of points. One is the eyes - not as striking as I'd like. They just don't seem to draw you in, to engage you. Second, I would like a touch more swagger. He seems like a lovely young man, but the 'gee is that OK umpire I didn't think I'd take five on debut' look he gave when Paterson nicked out...I just need a bit more fire.

But he is in the SteveNZ XI and has been since the Aussie A tour, so it's a fine day for our organisation.
Funny you say this, because I think he has very smoky eyes. But I agree on the rage. Wagner's heir must suffer no batsman to exist.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I don't follow NZ first class cricket these days. Is Tickner no longer in the picture - he did ok last year...
Yeah, he actually performed well in the home tests but got overtaken by O'Rourke who was very impressive in the NZ A series against Australia A. I guess if Wagner bows out he could come back into the frame.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like being a cracking finish to this one. And good to see Keegan Petersen contributing, if only because I enjoy seeing cricketers named after English footballers or football teams, and it's been a while.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Also have to say watching the highlights. Hamza really is a bad cricketer when he's not on drugs. Just about every dismissal of this tour from him has been abject.
Yeah usually looks the goods until he decides to lose his damn mind.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah, he actually performed well in the home tests but got overtaken by O'Rourke who was very impressive in the NZ A series against Australia A. I guess if Wagner bows out he could come back into the frame.
It's really bizarre though. You can see him not making test squads as he seemed to be mostly injury cover iirc but he's been discarded from everything after playing all 3 formats for a good stretch.

Not saying he's been robbed but it's really weird that he's not even made a ODI or t20I squad since.