• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
See, this is good. Everything is subjective. I'm not a fan - I just don't think they seduce me as much as they could.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I don't follow NZ first class cricket these days. Is Tickner no longer in the picture - he did ok last year...
He's looking good, actually, in domestics this season.

Overtaken by O'Rourke, quite rightly. But he is on a level way above current-Wagner. Should be in the frame for a next few years given the fragility of tall seamers. I'm not saying he's 'world class'. But 3rd 4th seamer is one of the hardest gigs in cricket and Tickner is of a 'quite decent' class at this very hard role.

Jamieson, O'Rourke, Tickner. For 3d and 4th seamers depth. Foulkes coming through for a totally different style of non-opening bowler, but should still be held back another year at the moment IMO. All are above Wagner IMO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's really bizarre though. You can see him not making test squads as he seemed to be mostly injury cover iirc but he's been discarded from everything after playing all 3 formats for a good stretch.

Not saying he's been robbed but it's really weird that he's not even made a ODI or t20I squad since.
I do wonder if the demotion of some of the 29-32 fringe players is part of a conscious effort by Wells to try and build a core of younger players who can take the team forward once the classes of 08 and 10 retire.

thierry henry

International Coach
Wasn't Tickner always reasonably far down the pecking order though and it was just one of those situations where he was consistently available when others weren't? Like, the best guy he was getting picked ahead of was maybe Duffy?

If they're consciously moving away from him that's cool too, but I'd be surprised if he wouldn't still be in the frame if we had enough guys unavailable.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Have seen the odd comment hoping for plucky little South Africa to earn an upset here, but they're not really the underdog like WI vs Australia or Bangladesh touring NZ and so an upset wouldn't have the feelgood factor imo. The XI on the park are plucky, yes, but CSA has chosen to send this B/C/D team and anything short of a 2-0 shutout will encourage them to think that wasn't so bad, they can get away with it again. Would be a bad message for everyone. It won't be easy, but I hope we dominate today and chase these runs down easily.

Latham to channel the spirit of playing Sri Lanka at Hagley Oval pls.

Flem274*

123/5
Tickner improves every year and we saw against England he (and Kuggs) can bowl test class spells, but he needs to consistently deliver through a series.

His problem is O'Rourke is almost a decade younger and bowling well. It's hard to keep your spot when someone brings a potential decade of service.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
In the spirit of Captain Hindsight. Here's a quirky stat.

Santner has taken 44 of his 113 FC wickets at the 2 grounds being used in this test series.