• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

mackembhoy

International Debutant
TBF, baz mccullum didn't make england good by bringing a ton of new players in, he just seemingly got more out of the guys who he actually had. I wouldn't be TOO worried about the lack of changes. Bairstow is in much better red ball form, crawley is performing better and duckett looks like a huge improvement on either burns or sibley, while pope is in a new role that should mean he's seen a few balls from the seamer's before the spinner's come on.
True enough. My natural stance is that of pessimism and viewed us going in with Brook as our best chance.

I wanted one of Stokes/Bairstow at 3 and pope not even in the side. I don’t think Pope has kicked on enough to be any better than he was last time.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Except that the Lions are in India and Lawrence isn't.
Better for those lads to keep playing instead of carrying drinks. Not difficult to draft them in if needed. Rew,Mousley and Robinson are the ones batting 4-6 and not sure any of them offer an alternative to Brook if required.(well I do with Robinson but then he scored low last game)

Lawrence is most like for like as middle order player that can whack it and give some overs if needed. He also got a half century last time round batting 6 iirc

kevinw

International 12th Man
Sad for Brook and hopefully he overcomes whatever issues he's having. Lawrence has been in and out of the side so you can't argue against his selection but Bohannon might have been a bolder choice perhaps. I'd personally pick Lawrence ahead of Pope. The latter is a flat track bully and is going to be marmalised in this series by India's spinners.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
But what is the point of selecting Jennings for the Lions tour other than have him in-country for a call up?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
But what is the point of selecting Jennings for the Lions tour other than have him in-country for a call up?
So he can replace one of the openers in the event of injury and/or rubbish form.

Are you of the view of bringing Jennings into 3 as the replacement for Brook. Otherwise what’s the point?

Must point out I feel Keats arguably should be in the side as opener. As a horses for courses pick, but that isn’t how McCullum/Stokes operate.

Last edited:

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Jennings was only the most obvious example, but shipping in Lawrence by Tuesday, very doubtful he is going to play. And is not a vote of confidence in Rew, Mousley or Bohannon for example. The Lions might as well be playing somewhere else, like they used to.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can’t remember on which podcast, but I remember someone explaining they’d rather Lawrence was playing franchise than touring with the Lions, but he remained the next in line.
Anyway. Bairstow back at 5 hopefully. Whether he can recreate 2022 (or the tailend of his Ashes form) in India remains to be seen but I do think that’s where he can do most damage.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad for Brook, hope whatever it is isn't too bad but clearly something important. Least we basically know the team now.

Duckett
Crawley
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Ahmed
Robinson
Leach
Anderson

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
It should be fascinating to see how Bazball goes for the first time on Indian soil.
In reality the all out attack is by far their best chance of success imo, but they'll need a fair share of luck on their side.
The loss of Brook is a big blow though, even if he hasn't been that good lately.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Jennings was only the most obvious example, but shipping in Lawrence by Tuesday, very doubtful he is going to play. And is not a vote of confidence in Rew, Mousley or Bohannon for example. The Lions might as well be playing somewhere else, like they used to.
Whether they picked Lawrence or Jennings, neither would have likely played in the first test.

Brooke's departure just means that Foakes can now slot into the XI. I suspect he would have missed out otherwise.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Echo what everyone else says, hope to see Brook back and ok soon.

Pleased that we probably get Foakes now, but Brook is a big loss.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sad for Brook, hope whatever it is isn't too bad but clearly something important. Least we basically know the team now.

Duckett
Crawley
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Ahmed
Robinson
Leach
Anderson

If Anderson Thaatha (grandpa) gets injured, do we get Stokes, Foakes, Woakes?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
and somewhat well hidden, as in I went in maybe 10 mins ago, load of headlines about women salary, bouncers, NZ, Hartley, Jacks, Lewis, Rohit, Sackin, retiring quartet, emissions etc, (reeling off the cricket home page) and no sign that England lions were even playing!!!

not sure re mackem "Parkinson giving a good account of himself" will be viewed as highly by selectors, two lower order batsmen for the A side 1st innings, ER doesn't matter heaps in Tests so not bad SRs either innings, but relatively speaking better than some fellow bowlers, not that impressive compared to eg Potts.

can't see it securing him an India Test tour in the future, maybe why he's been fringe for so long when really given the (lack of) competition ought to be in most subcontinent touring parties if much kop
Maintain Parky gave a good account of himself. Now seeing his wickets.

His celebrations ala Imran Tahir are something

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame about Brook, but glad it means Foakes will probably play, mind you I may put a bet on Lawrence being Englands top wicket-taker.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Woakes isn't in the squad. Wood and Atkinson are the other seamers.
Yeah but I assume if Anderson were to get injured, they will send a replacement in for him in the squad itself. And from there, its just 1 bad test of bowling away from the dream 6-8 :p