• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

howitzer

State Captain
I did not know batting SR’s were at their lowest. Is good info.
My point still remains though. People who seem desperate to big up Shakib's credentials as an ATG all rounder lead to him being just about the most overrated bowler in the history of the game. He's a decent bat, sure, but no more than decent.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shakib is still a suboptimal choice. I mean you've got Warne whose aggressive, intimidating, entertaining and results-oriented style of cricket epitomises what "Bazball" is supposed to be all about. He should be the first player on the team sheet

TheJediBrah

Well actually the first player picked for Bazball XI should be pretty obvious . . . and he didn't make the team either. Unless he's the coach which would be fair enough

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I think a BazBall XI would be:

Virendra Sehwag
Victor Trumper
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Gilbert Jessop
Mike Procter
Kapil Dev
Shane Warne
Sydney Barnes

Last edited:

howitzer

State Captain
I'm also not sure that batting deep is particularly a Bazball philosophy. There have been a couple of games here and there we've batted deep but also some long tails too.

TheJediBrah

I'm also not sure that batting deep is particularly a Bazball philosophy. There have been a couple of games here and there we've batted deep but also some long tails too.
It should be aggressive, wicket-taking bowling too. Again the main point of Bazball was being results-oriented and that would involve taking 20 wickets as fast as possible.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think picking part time spin 'allrounders' and players who've barely played on a hunch is, but the latter's a bit hard for an all time XI.

For example, having Richards as one of the main spinners in an a match in Asia would be very BazBall.

howitzer

State Captain
I think picking part time spin 'allrounders' and players who've barely played on a hunch is, but a the latter's a bit hard for an all time XI.

For example, having Richards as one of the main spinners in an a match in Asia would be very BazBall.
Yeah. He'd be the second spinner.

howitzer

State Captain
Botham was attacking enough in his prime; but I think if Miller doesn't count the Syd Barnes, Ben Stokes orA B de Villiers are even better choices.
Barnes is interesting for a different team balance. Stokes as captain would be a fun option. AB wasn't a particularly attacking batsman in tests but i'm sure he could be persuaded to be. I think you underestimate how attacking Botham could be when he got going though. He was also an attacking bowler too, sacrificing economy to try and take wickets as quickly as he could. A very bazball player.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You also need to pick players on attributes rather than ability. For example, neither Malcolm Marshall nor Rangana Herath would be picked, even if things were perfect for them, because they are/were not tall (which seems to be the primary criterion by which England are picking unproven bowlers of any pace at the moment)

howitzer

State Captain
Also the dichotomy of Cricketweb. Here we have ABDV (strike rate: 54.51) described as Bazball and in another thread we have Langer (strike rate 54.22) who was described as a defensive accumulator.