• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

International Coach
Clearly me because I started this thread that is all about selecting mythical teams and might be the biggest thread in CC.

sincerely, Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, but you have this Miller thing, lol. But yeah, inspired move it was (starting the thread, not the Miller thing)

Reactions: Red

Coronis

International Coach
My second XI

Hutton
Gavaskar
Lara
Smith
Chappell
Kallis
Sangakkara+
Imran*
Steyn
Ambrose
Murali

Yes I chose Sanga instead of say Knott or someone else. I’m aware he likely won’t contribute as much as his full capability, but his batting ability when keeping still outstrips pretty much everyone bar Gilly. Plus, for this team, he has experience keeping to Murali.

Less sure of the batting order for this team than my first XI.

As it happens, across the two XI’s I’ve managed to include my top 13 batsmen, my top 6 pacers and top 2 spinners, along with Gilly.

kyear2

International Coach
My second XI

Hutton
Gavaskar
Lara
Smith
Chappell
Kallis
Sangakkara+
Imran*
Steyn
Ambrose
Murali

Yes I chose Sanga instead of say Knott or someone else. I’m aware he likely won’t contribute as much as his full capability, but his batting ability when keeping still outstrips pretty much everyone bar Gilly. Plus, for this team, he has experience keeping to Murali.

As it happens, across the two XI’s I’ve managed to include my top 13 batsmen, my top 6 pacers and top 2 spinners, along with Gilly.
Yeah, that's a good selling point that we generally don't factor in.

You have Hadlee and McGrath in your first team, or Wasim with McGrath?

kyear2

International Coach
All Time XI

Hutton
Gavaskar
Bradman
Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist
Marshall
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

My second XI

Hobbs
Richards
Hammond
Lara
Smith
Kallis
Sangakkara
Imran
Hadlee
Ambrose
Muralitharan

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
First XI

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Wasim
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Second XI

Gavaskar
Richards
Lara
Chappell
Miller
Sangakkara
Knott
Hadlee
Garner
Ambrose
Murali

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
First XI

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Wasim
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Second XI

Gavaskar
Richards
Lara
Chappell
Miller
Sangakkara
Knott
Hadlee
Garner
Ambrose
Murali
I think Sanga at 3, Lara/Chappell 4/5 (or vv), and Miller at 6 would be a better order.

Reactions: Red

capt_Luffy

International Captain
AT XI:

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sangakkara
Sobers
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Barnes

Second XI:

Hutton
Sutcliffe
Hammond
Lara
Richards
Miller
Gilchrist
Akram
Ambrose
McGrath
Murali

Coronis

International Coach
I’ve probably known this at some point but just forgot, did Sanga move to the slips with Mahela after he gave up the gloves? Or did he end up fielding somewhere else?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
My second XI

Hutton
Gavaskar
Lara
Smith
Chappell
Kallis
Sangakkara+
Imran*
Steyn
Ambrose
Murali

Dhoni > Sanga

Knott, Ames > Dhoni

howitzer

State Captain
Nah I think he had a tendency to let his game management go a bit across some stages of a Test match. Average Test captain, Excellent ODI captain.
Funnily enough i think the opposite of Kohli. Excellent Test captain, but didn't always know how to manage his bowling resources in ODI.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah I think he had a tendency to let his game management go a bit across some stages of a Test match. Average Test captain, Excellent ODI captain.
Funnily enough i think the opposite of Kohli. Test captain, but didn't always know how to manage his bowling resources in ODI.
MSD is really the best captain you can have when you have limited resources at your disposal. He is like that guy who is an excellent manager of finances as a middle class person but is not really sure on how to manage his funds when he gets very rich.

I remember him beating Australia in 2008 2-0 in a 4 test series in India with an over the hill Kumble, darty Harbhajan and slower than slow Amit Mishra as the spin attack on some pretty flat tracks. The way he cajoled match winning performances on absolute feather beds out of those spinners along with Zaheer (granted at his peak mentally as a bowler though mostly past it physically) and Ishant 1.0 is something I am sure Virat will never be able to do. Its easy to let the perception of MSD's test captaincy be spoiled by 8-0 and his defensive mindset in SENA but he still got us wins around the world in tests and got us the mace with a very very limited attack, even if we did have an ATG batting line-up on paper.