• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

howitzer

State Captain
MSD is really the best captain you can have when you have limited resources at your disposal. He is like that guy who is an excellent manager of finances as a middle class person but is not really sure on how to manage his funds when he gets very rich.

I remember him beating Australia in 2008 2-0 in a 4 test series in India with an over the hill Kumble, darty Harbhajan and slower than slow Amit Mishra as the spin attack on some pretty flat tracks. The way he cajoled match winning performances on absolute feather beds out of those spinners along with Zaheer (granted at his peak mentally as a bowler though mostly past it physically) and Ishant 1.0 is something I am sure Virat will never be able to do. Its easy to let the perception of MSD's test captaincy be spoiled by 8-0 and his defensive mindset in SENA but he still got us wins around the world in tests and got us the mace with a very very limited attack, even if we did have an ATG batting line-up on paper.
I like this description.

kyear2

International Coach
So what does Smith have to do to take Tendulkar's / Richards place in your AT team?

Think Tendulkar is greater, but a lot of that is due to longevity, but is he still better? And Smith brings ridiculous hands in the cordon.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith is very overrated as a slip fielder. He's dropped far too many for it to be a differentiating factor over Lara and Sachin. It doesn't matter because he's a better batsman than Tendulkar,Richards and Lara anyway imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Smith is a decent slip fielder IMO but he did have that one series in Pakistan where he basically couldn't catch a cold (then ended it by taking a blinder which effectively won the series, which shows how these things go). He's a better ring fielder, like many modern "great" fielders.

OverratedSanity

Smith is a decent slip fielder IMO but he did have that one series in Pakistan where he basically couldn't catch a cold (then ended it by taking a blinder which effectively won the series, which shows how these things go). He's a better ring fielder, like many modern "great" fielders.
He is fine. He is nowhere near good enough for it to be some tiebreaker between him and lara/Sachin imo. He has a good argument as batsman alone.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
So what does Smith have to do to take Tendulkar's / Richards place in your AT team?

Think Tendulkar is greater, but a lot of that is due to longevity, but is he still better? And Smith brings ridiculous hands in the cordon.
Idk man, I am not placing him in the highest of tiers until he retiers.

kyear2

International Coach
Smith is very overrated as a slip fielder. He's dropped far too many for it to be a differentiating factor over Lara and Sachin. It doesn't matter because he's a better batsman than Tendulkar,Richards and Lara anyway imo.
So for you he's already clearly surpassed them as batsmen.

kyear2

International Coach
He is fine. He is nowhere near good enough for it to be some tiebreaker between him and lara/Sachin imo. He has a good argument as batsman alone.
He's passed Lara already in my mind, just not sure about Viv and Sachin quite as yet.

Sachin has his consistency and longevity, plus a technique I trust more. Viv is there for his ability to take over a match or series like few others ever had, and turn the tide in session.

And I'm not that concerned about the cordon for my first team, Sunny, Sobers and Richards are good enough for me, with Warne in the gully.

kyear2

International Coach
My memory isn't the best, but don't recall any drops in the last ashes or this series. The consistency seems to be improving the last year plus?

TheJediBrah

he's such a good ring fielder kind of a shame he's wasted in the slips

Spark

Global Moderator
My memory isn't the best, but don't recall any drops in the last ashes or this series. The consistency seems to be improving the last year plus?
He definitely dropped at least one and maybe two at the Oval, which turned out in general to be a terminal day of catching for the team.

Coronis

International Coach
ATG Bazball XI

Sehwag
Warner
Bradman*
Richards
Trumper
Gilchrist+
Botham
Shakib
Kapil
Starc
Southee

Team bats deep, bats fast and eh, bowls ok. Perfectly Bazball. (cbf searching for great bowlers who were aggressive bats too).

Bradman the clear weak link with a SR of 61.

ataraxia

International Coach
ATG Bazball XI

Sehwag
Warner
Bradman*
Richards
Trumper
Gilchrist+
Botham
Shakib
Kapil
Starc
Southee

Team bats deep, bats fast and eh, bowls ok. Perfectly Bazball. (cbf searching for great bowlers who were aggressive bats too).

Crawley would get picked

howitzer

State Captain
ATG Bazball XI

Sehwag
Warner
Bradman*
Richards
Trumper
Gilchrist+
Botham
Shakib
Kapil
Starc
Southee

Warne and Jessop for Shakib and Southee.

TheJediBrah

ATG Bazball XI

Sehwag
Warner
Bradman*
Richards
Trumper
Gilchrist+
Botham
Shakib
Kapil
Starc
Southee

Why Shakib? Aggressive behaviour?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In an era where strike rates are the lowest there's ever been. That same strikerate compares to 80 odd 50 years ago and 90-100 for the couple of decades before that.
I think he might mean batting strike rate. But not sure as his actual test strike rates are 61.95 batting and 63.4 bowling.