• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I the only one here who rates Sunil Gavaskar slightly above Viv Richards in Test?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
He is lying through his teeth. Sunil played Holding and Roberts in '76 in the WI and averaged 55 which is commendable. He next toured the Caribbean in '83 and got royally owned, averaging 30. Admittedly that was against the 4 horsemen. But overall, against Holding and co, Sunil did not average 54 in the Caribbean.
I miscalculated; that's on me, barring his debut series, his average against West Indies is 45 not 54. But yeah,
"Sunil did not average 54 in the Caribbean." He averaged 70.40.

kyear2

International Coach
He also faced Marshall in India; where he scored 3 centuries in 6 games..... And in '83; he still managed to average 30, which honestly, is not good at all; but not horrible. As I pointed out, Richards average domestically is also less than 40; and he even never faced them together. Though you can argue that it was heavily due to his 147 in Georgetown.
If you're referring to '78 when Sunny cashed in during WSC? Yeah, Marshall was selected after, and I'll need to confirm, but after I believe two first class matches. He wasn't even ready to play for Barbados and I think he only played in 3 tests in that series.

And genuine question, why wasn't Gavaskar invited to WSC?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Sunil averaged 37 in 3 tests in Sri Lanka. Overall, he averages 66.67 in 7 tests vs Sri Lanka. So no, his record vs Sri Lanka does not bring his average down. As for Viv in NZ he played a grand total of 3 tests there. Surely you understand that's too small of a sample size to draw conclusions.
Definitely not; 3 matches is not a good sample size; as is Gavaskar's series against Lillee in Australia; where he also averaged 19.

kyear2

International Coach
I miscalculated; that's on me, barring his debut series, his average against West Indies is 45 not 54. But yeah,
"Sunil did not average 54 in the Caribbean." He averaged 70.40.
Hence why context is important, that feared '71 attack of Sobers, Dowe, Shepherd and Davis.

kyear2

International Coach
If you're referring to '78 when Sunny cashed in during WSC? Yeah, Marshall was selected after, and I'll need to confirm, but after I believe two first class matches. He wasn't even ready to play for Barbados and I think he only played in 3 tests in that series.

And oh, I also referenced that series in another thread, where I mentioned that the series brought Maco to tears and he vowed not to return to India. You can look it up to figure out why.

capt_Luffy

International Captain

That's genuinely interesting question; as not just Gavaskar, but no Indian have played in WSC.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Hence why context is important, that feared '71 attack of Sobers, Dowe, Shepherd and Davis.
I mean, I never said that in that '71 series West Indies had a great bowling lineup; it was an extremely high scoring series; but I think especially as a debutant against better pacers he played in India; 774 runs were still very commendable

kyear2

International Coach
Sunil Gavaskar is one of the three greatest openers of all time, four of we include Barry, but that's another conversation.

He's in my AT XI and I probably have him just outside my absolute top tier but I think last rating he was 8th.

But using his record against the WI isn't the way to prove it.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Sunil Gavaskar is one of the three greatest openers of all time, four of we include Barry, but that's another conversation.

He's in my AT XI and I probably have him just outside my absolute top tier but I think last rating he was 8th.

But using his record against the WI isn't the way to prove it.
I kinda get your point on West Indies; but as I said, I will still argue that averaging 154.8 in a 5 match debut series outside home; against better pacers you ever faced, is still very commendable and a mediocre bowling is not the sole reason.

I just rate Viv and Gavaskar neck and neck; they both had their unique strengths and glaring weaknesses; and on my last rating; Gavaskar was 6th and Viv 7th. One of main reasons, which I never got to state till now, is his one particular innings against Pakistan in Chennai of 96. That was probably one of best batting against spin I have ever seen.

kyear2

International Coach
I kinda get your point on West Indies; but as I said, I will still argue that averaging 154.8 in a 5 match debut series outside home; against better pacers you ever faced, is still very commendable and a mediocre bowling is not the sole reason.

I just rate Viv and Gavaskar neck and neck; they both had their unique strengths and glaring weaknesses; and on my last rating; Gavaskar was 6th and Viv 7th. One of main reasons, which I never got to state till now, is his one particular innings against Pakistan in Chennai of 96. That was probably one of best batting against spin I have ever seen.
To call that attack mediocre was an understatement, and generally batsmen do perform better vs poorer attacks, but I would also confidently put forward that attack as possibly the worst we have ever selected.

kyear2

International Coach
The article, which was among the first once you google Gavaskar WSC, is an excellent synopsis of his career vs the WI. The good, bad and ugly.

Never used them before and tbh the page is acting a bit dodgy, not even allowing me to copy and paste the article on my phone.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The article, which was among the first once you google Gavaskar WSC, is an excellent synopsis of his career vs the WI. The good, bad and ugly.

Never used them before and tbh the page is acting a bit dodgy, not even allowing me to copy and paste the article on my phone.
It was a fantastic article, a brilliant read and I think really reflected Gavaskar's performance against West Indies very well..... Though I must add, his comments on the Jamaican crowd; no matter how bad they were; was extremely uncomfortable, repulsive and in extremely poor taste to say the least.....

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
It was a fantastic article, a brilliant read and I think really reflected Gavaskar's performance against West Indies very well..... Though I must add, his comments on the Jamaican crowd; no matter how bad they were; was extremely uncomfortable, repulsive and in extremely poor taste to say the least.....
Was that mentioned in the article as well?

And yes, it was repugnant and made me look at him differently tbh.