• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I the only one here who rates Sunil Gavaskar slightly above Viv Richards in Test?

kyear2

International Coach
Some players have **** countries where they don’t succeed. Whether their tours there coincide with bad form or they end up with bad matchups or they just have bad luck. Also “lol sample size”. Blaming it all on umpires is just a pathetic crutch. Garner has an excellent record in New Zealand. Greenidge’s is also excellent.

Conversely, Garner was relatively crap against NZ at home, whereas Marshall destroyed them.
I didn't blame it all on umpires and I literally said I didn't have a reason.

But Viv, Marshall, Sobers, Lloyd, the three greatest WI players and our greatest captain all had abysmal records down there.

I referenced, injury, occuring after long Australian tours, sample size, all I said is there must be a reason.

Coronis

International Coach
Batting or Bowling?
Both of course

I didn't blame it all on umpires and I literally said I didn't have a reason.

But Viv, Marshall, Sobers, Lloyd, the three greatest WI players and our greatest captain all had abysmal records down there.

I referenced, injury, occuring after long Australian tours, sample size, all I said is there must be a reason.
Mate you literally just quoted a post about umpires and said “there must be a reason”.

number11

State Regular
The title describes itself..... I rate Gavaskar over Richards; not just because Gavaskar played for a much much weaker side, opened the innings and played more tests while still averaging more than Richards; but also as Richards never played against the best bowling unit of his era, against whom Gavaskar has ridiculous records (even barring his debut series, he still averages 54 in West Indies).
Yes. No one else is that detatched from reality.
I am sure I can guess your nationality/background based on this one post.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Interesting

As a result, umpires became the most travelled members of the cricket community, and were no longer charged with partisanship. But the irony is this: home teams have fared better since the introduction of a neutral umpire, with a win-loss ratio of 1.57:1 compared to 1.43:1 before.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yes. No one else is that detatched from reality.
I am sure I can guess your nationality/background based on this one post.
Dude, you don't need to "guess" my nationality; it's in my profile...... And honestly, I feel like I pointed out enough points for my reasoning, so no more am I doing a rehearsal.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Will look up the 54 average, as he only faced Marshall in the Caribbean in '83. And in that 5 test series only had one score above 35 and that was in Georgetown. Holding he also faced in '76
He also faced Marshall in India; twice, in the first series he averaged around 90 and in the second he scored 3 centuries in 6 games including his best 236.... And in '83; he still managed to average 30, which honestly, is not good at all; but not horrible. As I pointed out, Richards average domestically is also less than 40; and he even never faced them together. Though you can argue that it was heavily due to his 147 in Georgetown.

Last edited: