• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How does he have the ‘raw materials’ though? Feels like the equivalent of saying a long drive champion has the ‘raw materials’ to be a top golfer. Allen can bosh a 6 but when has he shown the skills to actually be a good batsman? Being able to select and execute the correct shot to the ball coming at you is like the #1 raw material of batting and I don’t see Allen having it.
"Bosh a 6" amused me.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
How does he have the ‘raw materials’ though? Feels like the equivalent of saying a long drive champion has the ‘raw materials’ to be a top golfer. Allen can bosh a 6 but when has he shown the skills to actually be a good batsman? Being able to select and execute the correct shot to the ball coming at you is like the #1 raw material of batting and I don’t see Allen having it.
There's two components here:
1. Sheer hand eye/fast twitch/physical attributes to be able to cleanly hit fast, accurate bowling.
2. Shot selection/game plan/playing the percentages

My claim is that Allen obviously has #1, Seifert does not. I agree that Allen is lacking in #2 but I think there's plenty of cases of batsmen learning that as they mature.

91Jmay

International Coach
Great win, white ball depth is nuts tbf. Plenty of international standard players not playing and still gubbing decent teams

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I’m probably too harsh on Allen tbh, just hard to resist bagging the selection of a batsman who seems to have had no onus put on him to actually score runs at any stage of his career.
That 2021 SS were he hit a purple patch and then picked up an IPL contract has ****ed his development imo. He didn't bat anything like this at age group level.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the only positive is Milne continuing to bowl well. Seems to have settled on that 140-147 pace range as the optimal for hurrying batsmen, generating swing and avoiding injury. Here's hoping he can continue.

Also, why aren't Boult and Henry playing this?

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I guess the only positive is Milne continuing to bowl well. Seems to have settled on that 140-147 pace range as the optimal for hurrying batsmen, generating swing and avoiding injury. Here's hoping he can continue.

Also, why aren't Boult and Henry playing this?
Boult isn't in the T20 squad, which is a real shame considering it would've been a good warm-up for him. Henry, well, he's only getting in if either Southee drops himself or Ferguson gets dropped.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Allen still has one of the highest strike rates since covid for a t20 opener while having an okay average despite his **** form for a long time which is why he may still be preferred

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Allen still has one of the highest strike rates since covid for a t20 opener while having an okay average despite his **** form for a long time which is why he may still be preferred
Who are the alternatives? The main semi-realistic alternative is probably Seifert, & he's batting 3 here (which I think is stupid, but hey). There's no way you're throwing Bowes in here.

That SR is a probable part of why he's being persisted with, on top of him being the long-term opener. I think he's in a couple of years early, but stuff happens.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Who are the alternatives? The main semi-realistic alternative is probably Seifert, & he's batting 3 here (which I think is stupid, but hey). There's no way you're throwing Bowes in here.

That SR is a probable part of why he's being persisted with, on top of him being the long-term opener. I think he's in a couple of years early, but stuff happens.
Mitchell

Blain

U19 Captain

Allen deserves to be in the team above Seifert.. He's a picked on potential guy himself, but is now late 20's. Stead and the selection committee have gambled on Allen over Guptill. They have to play him through the world cup and then re assess. I'm picking a couple years in domestic until we'll see him again if he doesn't put some scores together.

I'd look to move Mitchell up the order to give him more time to establish himself, and would pick Foxcroft over Seifert. At least he has form and age on his side, seems like a guy who knows how to score when required.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The mickey-mouse selections and performances look set to continue....

'Dean Foxcroft is in line for an ODI debut against Bangladesh as the Black Caps will rest a string of first-choice players ahead of the World Cup.

The Otago batter, who made his T20 international debut for New Zealand versus the UAE last month, is part of a squad missing Tom Latham, Devon Conway, Matt Henry, Daryl Mitchell, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner and Tim Southee.

Lockie Ferguson is set to captain the national side for the first time in the three-game ODI series in Dhaka before the Black Caps head to the World Cup in India.

Regular ODI captain Kane Williamson hasn’t been named in the squad as he strives to be fit for selection for the tournament, starting on October 5 when NZ meet defending champions England in Ahmedabad.'

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I can understand the stuff around managing player workloads, but it should've been planned better than this. With that said, the players missing the series have been away from home for up to several months. Mitchell, as an example, likely hasn't been home since April, Conway & the rest of the IPL guys since March. Ironically, Boult is probably the most well-rested.

Then again, if we don't even know what our WC squad is, then what's a "Lockie's Last-Minute Tryouts" series?