• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kuggs has one of the ugliest bowling actions I've seen. Tickner's isn't pretty either.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of the Nicholls dismissal Fleming, Gower, McMillan all seemed to agree it was a good piece of bowling and not much he could have done differently?
No doubt the pink ball does allsorts at night, Anderson had it on a string and it did a bit, but it was average technique to a ball that was short of a length. He wasn't necessarily drawn into it. Those guys know more about batting than I ever will, however.

shortpitched713

International Captain
They wouldn't do it now, but I think the timing of his return might coincide with Crawley obviously needing to be dropped.

Would probably require Foakes, Brooks and Pope to all be making runs in the meantime too though.
Or you could just ****ing drop him after this Test, because he's actually just ****e.

It's like this whole thing has just gaslighted every single England fan out of having a bit of sense and seeing that he's not worthy, instead of some sort of undroppable stalwart of the side like Tendulkar or some ****, where you'd have to explain yourself and cushion the letdown to all the fans and whatnot.

I have a new theory on him. He's got the selectors' kids hostage. I'm running out of other ideas, at this point.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that Root is either bored or simply frustrated with Bazball

That shot was disgraceful and totally out of character for one of England’s greatest ever players
I just don't get it. The guy has 10000+ runs at nigh on 50s, and 28 tons, is one of the best pure stroke makers in the world. Why is he reverse sweeping a seamer bowling innocuous 120km stuff on a road? Is he truly bored at 32 when there's so many more records and things he could still do?

You can say the shot was disgraceful - and I'd agree, honestly it was the worst I can remember in Test history. But out of character, he played it what, 3-4 times? At least 3 in his 14. Honestly, it's bemusing. He's one of the best of his generation, who could hit an aging Neil Wagner anywhere he wanted in an orthodox way. Yet he's going to this low percentage option over hitting him through the covers, he could come at him and clip legside, bloody hell he could do anything. What a waste of a career to all of a sudden do that ****.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As for NZ, you play stupid games you win stupid prizes. Scott Kuggeleijn even being in this squad was a joke, and the fact he played over Duffy is more so. One guy who is in form in domestic cricket and has played a lot of it, has played for NZ A, and played for NZ recently, against one who has done none of that. Guess which one we picked? I'm aware Duffy wouldn't have done much better yesterday but it just shows the sort of gormless thought process that goes into our selection policy nowadays.

I'm going on Saturday and am seriously nervous I won't get to watch a full day's play.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Or you could just ****ing drop him after this Test, because he's actually just ****e.

It's like this whole thing has just gaslighted every single England fan out of having a bit of sense and seeing that he's not worthy, instead of some sort of undroppable stalwart of the side like Tendulkar or some ****, where you'd have to explain yourself and cushion the letdown to all the fans and whatnot.

I have a new theory on him. He's got the selectors' kids hostage. I'm running out of other ideas, at this point.
"Every single England fan"??? Seriously mate, how do you come up with this stuff? How is it possible that you can invent a consensus of opinion that is the exact opposite of the truth and palm it off as a reality with a straight face?

Show me 1 single post here, just 1, from the last 6 months supporting Zac Crawleys selection.

shortpitched713

International Captain
"Every single England fan"??? Seriously mate, how do you come up with this stuff? How is it possible that you can invent a consensus of opinion that is the exact opposite of the truth and palm it off as a reality with a straight face?

Show me 1 single post here, just 1, from the last 6 months supporting Zac Crawleys selection.
Nah, I get that England fans don't like him and want him out too. It's just that every time his deserved dropping from the side gets brought up, all sorts of excuses get trotted out as to why now is not the apropos time.

Meanwhile, England have now spent over 31 matches wasting a slot in their side for a player who brings in the value of roughly 2/3 of an opener. Fans should be asking for for someone, anyone with two arms two legs and a half decent batting record who is available to come in and take that spot.

Instead I see a PEWS post about timing of an injured players' return, and other people also having to score runs, before dropping Crawley.

Apologies if I've broad-brushed England fans, but PEWS isn't the first person to make post including pre-conditions for Crawley's removal, when in actual fact the only reasonable action would be to drop him yesterday.

shortpitched713

International Captain
To this specific point, I don't have to find that exact post. I just have to pick any of the multitude which posit a delay to his being dropped. Logically, that is the same as supporting his selection, regardless of how half-hearted or mealy-mouthed of a support that might be.

Howsie

International Captain
Just a small point on the Kuggs selection & paying close attention to his teammates celebrations at his first wicket, clearly his teammates don't seem to feel the same way posters here do as they seemed genuinely smitten with him, otherwise the players (especially those senior) would have been made it crystal clear to the coach & the selectors that there would be a revolt from the others to boycott playing if he was selected, and he wouldn't have been chosen.
He wouldn’t be near the squad if they did have a problem with him. But let’s be honest, the whole ‘cracked it’ culture has always been pretty rife in sport.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
One of the easiest drop catches I've seen in test cricket in the slips grassed by Crawley yesterday and that of Conway. Hopefully Conway goes on to get a very big one. Of all the batsmen Conway looked the most assured. Kane was battling, kind of knew he wasn't going to last. Nicholls unfortunately doesn't have as many shots as he thinks he does and looks to be positive with one or two shots in the kitty but can only fend at good balls. He struggles to keep good balls away and only scoring opportunity arises if one bowls short and wide outside off like Tickener did. England side is not going to give that to him. Maybe if it was Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or West Indies they probably would have.

I have seen Latham get out in strangest of ways even when he middles it. It must be frustrating it's not the good balls that get him but innocuous ones mostly.

nzfan

There are going to be lots of ups and downs this test match. Plenty of cricket to be played but the game has moved so quick. England are in the driving seat but conditions should be good for batting in the fist couple of sessions on day 2. If we can be a bit positive with the bat and get as much as we can prior the last session the game will be set up nicely.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, I get that England fans don't like him and want him out too. It's just that every time his deserved dropping from the side gets brought up, all sorts of excuses get trotted out as to why now is not the apropos time.

Meanwhile, England have now spent over 31 matches wasting a slot in their side for a player who brings in the value of roughly 2/3 of an opener. Fans should be asking for for someone, anyone with two arms two legs and a half decent batting record who is available to come in and take that spot.

Instead I see a PEWS post about timing of an injured players' return, and other people also having to score runs, before dropping Crawley.

Apologies if I've broad-brushed England fans, but PEWS isn't the first person to make post including pre-conditions for Crawley's removal, when in actual fact the only reasonable action would be to drop him yesterday.
Ftr, PEWS isn’t English,

Also, it’s a bit tiresome to start every post surrounding selection with “of course, if I was selector he already wouldn’t be in the team but….”
The fact we all would have dropped him a long time ago is irrelevant to the fact he hasn’t been. So when discussing circumstances in which he may or would be dropped they’re very different from discussions around when people would have liked him to have been

theegyptian

Lol fans discussing the game. Just sit back and embrace Bazball. Win or Lose it's all just vibes. Take a chill pill.

Must be pretty sweet being Joe Root right now. Probably making close to £2 million before tax with his central contract, sponsorships, random t20 money he gets for skipping ODI matches. Don't even have to train most of the time it seems. Probably has at least another 20 tests of averaging 20 and making up random shots to play before his place will be questioned. And England seem to win every game regardless. What a life.