• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, I get that England fans don't like him and want him out too. It's just that every time his deserved dropping from the side gets brought up, all sorts of excuses get trotted out as to why now is not the apropos time.

Meanwhile, England have now spent over 31 matches wasting a slot in their side for a player who brings in the value of roughly 2/3 of an opener. Fans should be asking for for someone, anyone with two arms two legs and a half decent batting record who is available to come in and take that spot.

Instead I see a PEWS post about timing of an injured players' return, and other people also having to score runs, before dropping Crawley.

Apologies if I've broad-brushed England fans, but PEWS isn't the first person to make post including pre-conditions for Crawley's removal, when in actual fact the only reasonable action would be to drop him yesterday.
Crawley should have been dropped ages ago, but dropping him for this test wouldn't have made much sense after he averaged 39 in his last series after all the (misguided) faith.

I was making a prediction about when and how it might finally happen rather than expressing a desire for him to remain in the side.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, I get that England fans don't like him and want him out too. It's just that every time his deserved dropping from the side gets brought up, all sorts of excuses get trotted out as to why now is not the apropos time.

Meanwhile, England have now spent over 31 matches wasting a slot in their side for a player who brings in the value of roughly 2/3 of an opener. Fans should be asking for for someone, anyone with two arms two legs and a half decent batting record who is available to come in and take that spot.

Instead I see a PEWS post about timing of an injured players' return, and other people also having to score runs, before dropping Crawley.

Apologies if I've broad-brushed England fans, but PEWS isn't the first person to make post including pre-conditions for Crawley's removal, when in actual fact the only reasonable action would be to drop him yesterday.
Thats the reality though. Drop Crawley now who are you bringing in that hasn't already been tried and failed?

As soon as Bairstow is fit we have a good top 7 if you accept that a middle order bat is going to have to open. But right now we're going to be playing with 1 spud no matter what.

On one hand it's nice that for once we'll have a batting line up that picks itself, but the truth is there's certainly no depth in options so any injury will have us with a passenger back in the side.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol fans discussing the game. Just sit back and embrace Bazball. Win or Lose it's all just vibes. Take a chill pill.

Must be pretty sweet being Joe Root right now. Probably making close to £2 million before tax with his central contract, sponsorships, random t20 money he gets for skipping ODI matches. Don't even have to train most of the time it seems. Probably has at least another 20 tests of averaging 20 and making up random shots to play before his place will be questioned. And England seem to win every game regardless. What a life.
He deserves it after carrying the whole team on his back for those dreadful last 2 years as captain. Repeatedly getting hit in the nuts by starc must have been pretty bad aswell.

thierry henry

International Coach
I quite like Tickner’s action FWIW, he’s just not a good bowler. Tall guy, gets up nice and high and fully uses his LONG LEVERS. If I’m critiquing it technically, he has a very long delivery stride which maybe isn’t ideal.

Kuggeleijn’s action is quite comical but you can see why he is (was) quick. Shouldn’t be there regardless obv.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Thats the reality though. Drop Crawley now who are you bringing in that hasn't already been tried and failed?

As soon as Bairstow is fit we have a good top 7 if you accept that a middle order bat is going to have to open. But right now we're going to be playing with 1 spud no matter what.

On one hand it's nice that for once we'll have a batting line up that picks itself, but the truth is there's certainly no depth in options so any injury will have us with a passenger back in the side.
I was thinking this earlier what our 2nd xi would be.
Lees
Hameed
Laurence
Vince
Jacks
Buttler
Woakes
Rehan
Broad/wood, depends who you pick in the 1sts
Archer
Stone

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Every single England fan"??? Seriously mate, how do you come up with this stuff? How is it possible that you can invent a consensus of opinion that is the exact opposite of the truth and palm it off as a reality with a straight face?

Show me 1 single post here, just 1, from the last 6 months supporting Zac Crawleys selection.
Yeah the post was nonsense, but I actually can see why Crawley is picked and it doesn't make me as angry that he is picked as it should.

First and foremost if I never saw Zak Crawley bat again I would be perfectly content, but

I can't be arsed to statsguru it, but since Strauss retired we've had about a zillion openers, Cook, who was strauss' partner is by far the best, but even then he wasn't prime cook after that. So our openers, apart from a fading little chef, have been hideous, a virulent carbuncle on anything we have tried to achieve for a decade or so now.

Sibley and Burns actually weren't as appalling as most, but hardly fit into the new way. So Crawley is generally no worse than most of them, the last discarded one averaged 5 less, and he does advance the game which seems to be the main theme of the new management, 90% of the time he advances it by getting out early so real bats can come in, but ho-hum.

So I get his selection, because it's hard to see who is better. Yet when YJB comes back, if he's still in the side I might cry. I actually think we may just go Root to open, he's doing little recently so why not?

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He wouldn’t be near the squad if they did have a problem with him. But let’s be honest, the whole ‘cracked it’ culture has always been pretty rife in sport.
What's cracked it culture?

I'm far from a fan of what Kuggeleijn did, I will declare that right now. I'm also not a fan of him as a cricketer in any format. But it should be made crystal clear that of a by-gone era, that sort of behaviour and ill-treatment of women - cricket, rugby the worst proponents - there are plenty of skeletons in closets that lucked into not getting to the stage Scott did. Certainly anyone who played in the 90s and 00s professionally, there would be a lot of people casting stones from glasshouses if they did have a problem, if you want to read into that what you will. That's changed in the modern era, fortunately.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

I'm far from a fan of what Kuggeleijn did, I will declare that right now. I'm also not a fan of him as a cricketer in any format. But it should be made crystal clear that of a by-gone era, that sort of behaviour and ill-treatment of women - cricket, rugby the worst proponents - there are plenty of skeletons in closets that lucked into not getting to the stage Scott did. Certainly anyone who played in the 90s and 00s professionally, there would be a lot of people casting stones from glasshouses if they did have a problem, if you want to read into that what you will. That's changed in the modern era, fortunately.
Regarding rugby it has thankfully changed re the r word, but some of the domestic violence perpetrators who've worn the black jersey in recent years (or promising players given name suppression) are hardly ideal role models.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Ftr, PEWS isn’t English,

Also, it’s a bit tiresome to start every post surrounding selection with “of course, if I was selector he already wouldn’t be in the team but….”
The fact we all would have dropped him a long time ago is irrelevant to the fact he hasn’t been. So when discussing circumstances in which he may or would be dropped they’re very different from discussions around when people would have liked him to have been
Speak for yourself.

Back in our day we would start every day by posting "Please selectors, drop Mohammad Sami." It worked... eventually. Maybe if you start now with Crawley, he could also be gone after another 6-7 Tests.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Regarding rugby it has thankfully changed re the r word, but some of the domestic violence perpetrators who've worn the black jersey in recent years (or promising players given name suppression) are hardly ideal role models.
Nah, you're right. It's far from ideal. I think you'd have to do something really abhorrent to be ostracised, and in fact it would probably have to be horrendous or affect your performance for you to be cast aside. For example, Jesse Ryder, who (to my knowledge) never did anything of that level but his drinking obviously affected his preparation/ability to score runs. And the playing group have admitted they wanted him gone. Yet some ABs, a couple who played on the wings in the last few years, have been convicted of domestic abuse yet there is obviously no condemnation within the group.

Flem274*

123/5

Haha I think I know who you're referring to.

Wasn't Kuggs bad, as I understand.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
This is what I don't like with day/night games.

The conditions can really change under lights, particularly with the new ball and that could be the defining spell of the match.
Proper technic can saves you, Devon bats so well so far.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
English bowler found proper Length.

I wish Wagner (66)beat his highest score today, He not looks but he will be 37 soon.