• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If I'm Steve Smith I'm doing a Chanderpaul and remaining not out ..This is a hopeless situation kinda like how we Saffas felt in Australia lol
Not outs shouldn't count when a team is ALL OUT. Thats what all out means.

Plus if you are letting tail get bowled out, that not out is good for nothing. Your team is all out. Innings is over. Batsmen would maximise their runs with the tail if they knew there was no not out. It would make much more sense. This rule is pretty dumb and leads to lots of selfish play.

Not out makes sense when you declare or when you chase down a target, but definitely not when entire team is bowled out.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
If Smith and Labushane are struggling against the Indian spinners then it’s fair to say Travis Head would be all at sea. The calls of “oooeeerr…then why wasn’t Warner dropped?” just high-light the overall Aussie frailties in the sub-continent more than anything else. Rather than the media and fans lashing out at the Captain for ‘getting it wrong’ perhaps they should admit that the Aussies struggle against quality spin bowling, and easy answers aren’t readily available. Coach and Captain have made hard calls before - Boland over Nesser against the English for example - and that readiness to do so should be applauded.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Pujara has been better than Kohli. And has been getting 50s far more frequently (and in tricky conditions)
They both don't deserve a place in the Indian test team currently. Pujara was out and somehow came back after having a decent season for some second grade county team.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If Smith and Labushane are struggling against the Indian spinners then it’s fair to say Travis Head would be all at sea. The calls of “oooeeerr…then why wasn’t Warner dropped?” just high-light the overall Aussie frailties in the sub-continent more than anything else. Rather than the media and fans lashing out at the Captain for ‘getting it wrong’ perhaps they should admit that the Aussies struggle against quality spin bowling, and easy answers aren’t readily available. Coach and Captain have made hard calls before - Boland over Nesser against the English for example - and that readiness to do so should be applauded.
Warner should have been ‘retired’ at the beginning of the home summer series honestly

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
To state the difference between the two sides was Ashwin/Jadeja (15 for 160) vs Lyon/Murphy (8 for 250) is rather obvious. However, not much mention is made of another factor - the batting of the lower order. India progressed from 5-168 to 400 (an average of 46.4 per last 5 wickets) while we lost our last 5 wickets twice for a total of 107 additional runs (10.7 per wicket).

Mind you, our upper order fared little better than our tail (10 wickets for 161 runs - 16.1 per wicket).

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Who is Rahul's jack, how does he manage to cling on? He's only dating a second-tier, hasbeen Bollywood actor's daughter, an actress of few prospects in her own right. Guy is mediocre allround.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who is Rahul's jack, how does he manage to cling on? He's only dating a second-tier, hasbeen Bollywood actor's daughter, an actress of few prospects in her own right. Guy is mediocre allround.
Yeah, he completes our 'Big 3' passengers at the moment. Gill should be parachuted in pronto. He's in the form of his life right now.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If Green is not fit, I doubt Australia will play with 5 bowlers and weaken the batting.. even though they really really need 5 bowlers.

Expected lineup-

Khawaja
Warner
Labu
Smith
Head
Handscomb (Green if fit)
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Murphy

Australia will feel that they bowled okay and if they had held some catches, lead would have been 120 not 220. But batting wise they will feel that they are at sea and that they will need to strengthen, which makes 5 bowler strategy unlikely.

If Green is not fit, expect another 7-4 combination.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People here were saying three months ago Warner should have gone. His 200 was medium-term the worst thing which could have happened to the test side because it’s delayed the inevitable. He’s a shot duck. Even if he’d been replaced in November and the n00b struggled here, you’d have a youngish player on a learning curve not a bloke who’s in terminal decline and always been a failure in the SC (and for the most part in England too).

Burgey

Yeah, he completes our 'Big 3' passengers at the moment. Gill should be parachuted in pronto. He's in the form of his life right now.
I always felt he was a Kohli wannabe given the haircut and lookalike beard. but I didn’t expect it to extend to losing all semblance of form too

cnerd123

likes this
NSW player played 35 test for Aus
He was wisden player of the year 1922 alone with other 4

Don't need to tell @Burgey all this. He was there.

Son Of Coco

Going on my experience battling it out in street cricket here with my Indian neighbours, what Australia needs to do is tape up half the ball and bat with lighter bats - preferably plastic if available.

There's nothing more embarrassing than getting castled by your 5'3" tall neighbour because one of the other 15 year old neighbours has bought a bat that is too heavy for himself and everyone else in the townhouse complex. Driving them on the up with a plastic 6 year old's bat is much more manly.

Starfighter

Internet boomers are now up in arms claiming this would never have happened under Langer, apparently missing that Australia lost twice at home to India under him. Also apparently we'd have been better overseas in general (after failing to beat a weak England team and celebrating like it was a win anyway).

Almost as ridiculous as the claim that the runs against SA were soft runs, having been scored against an attack with a collective average the year prior of (checks Statsguru)... 23.

Burgey

NSW player played 35 test for Aus
He was wisden player of the year 1922 alone with other 4

Made 345 in less than 4 hours against Nottinghamshire on the 1921 Ashes tour, legend has it because he had the ****s for some reason. Walked out to bat snd said to his partner "some cove is copping it today." Seems an interesting character tstl.

Burgey

Smith and Labu are fine. Khwaja is due some runs and I expect will deliver.

Warner is a true passenger. Renshaw and Handscomb seem out of their depth. If I were the captain, I would tell them to take a BazBall approach and do anything as long as they don't allow the spinners to settle. Carey showed the way in the first innings. Give them full license to have a swing since they are out of options.

Absolutely essential the spinners can't have a rhythm.
If they want to do that then they may as well play Head because he's a ton better at biffing it than either Renshaw or Handscomb

Starfighter

Rumour mill in operation that Kuhnemann might be flown in, presumably because they don't consider Agar good enough.

Problem is I don't think Kuhnemann's in great nick either. He wasn't too threatening in the ongoing Shield and if anything has gone backwards (I suspect partly due to being behind Swepson and not getting matches).

Doesn't solve the weak tail either. And would they really only go in with one pair plus a just-returned Green?