• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

subshakerz

International Coach
But yeah at 7/240, Aus are well in the game. Had they shot out the last three for not many and India get a lead of, say, 85, then this is still a serious game. But once it gets to 200+ then Aus threw in the towel.
Sorry, I disagree. The way I see it now, I think in India, first innings leads tend to dictate the victors. A lead of 85 I would see Australia capitulating too, albeit with a bit more resistance.

Australia essentially has to act like their second innings will always result in 150 or below against Indian spin. The only way for Australia to win is for their top six to all take an ultra positive approach, don't let the spinners get in a rhythm and somehow cross 300 at the first gig. It will require courage on their part since such a strategy will also possibly blow up in their face.

When England won last time, they managed a 500 run plus first dig but got shot out for 178 in the second innings. But the lead was good enough for them to win.

Bottom-line, in India, visiting teams only have one shot at victory by the end of their first innings. Any below par first innings score is essentially match over.

Last edited:

R!TTER

State Regular
When England won last time, they managed a 500 run plus first dig but got shot out for 178 in the second innings. But the lead was good enough for them to win.
No Jadeja, Axar, Umesh, Shami in that match. They only get past 400 or even 300 is if the pitch is super flat & Kohli drops half a dozen catches himself.

This could definitely happen tbh, but IMO a better chance would be to get India out cheaply in the first innings like Ahmedabad 2008 or even Mumbai 2001 first test. I say bowling is still India's stronger suit today but if we replace the 4 duds in the middle batting would also come around sharply.

subshakerz

International Coach
No Jadeja, Axar, Umesh, Shami in that match. They only get past 400 or even 300 is if the pitch is super flat & Kohli drops half a dozen catches himself.

This could definitely happen tbh, but IMO a better chance would be to get India out cheaply in the first innings like Ahmedabad 2008 or even Mumbai 2001 first test. I say bowling is still India's stronger suit today but if we replace the 4 duds in the middle batting would also come around sharply.
Getting India out cheaply is still only job half done. They still need minimum 50 to 100 run lead to mitigate India getting them out cheaply second go.

subshakerz

International Coach
Agree with @R!TTER here. Best chance is to blow India’s batting order in 1st innings like Bangalore 2017 Test and then post 350 in reply .
Even in that test, they scored a slightly above par 1st innings score so they had enough of a lead to turn the screws.

What is more likely, blowing out India's top order every 1st innings for the next three tests or scoring 250/300?

R!TTER

State Regular
Yes that's why I said pitches like Ahmedabad 2008 or Mumbai 2001, they had some assistance in the first dig, in case of Ahmedabad a lot more actually. In fact I was 50/50 with batting first on this pitch as well. Similar case in Delhi with cool mornings, I'd back Oz to get their best pacers & try to blow India's top order with pace. That pitch, if it does have something in the first session, will generally get flatter & slightly better to bat on day 2-3 as compared to the first session on day one. I also think Oz batting is their weak suit, like India.

Any way whatever you do you have to do it almost perfectly in the first dig.
Even in that test, they scored a slightly above par 1st innings score so they had enough of a lead to turn the screws.

What is more likely, blowing out India's top order every 1st innings for the next three tests or scoring 250/300?
Right now with 4 passengers in the top 6 & a rookie keeper the first one. Scoring below par also has a multiplier effect which should not be underestimated.

Sunil1z

International Regular

Your template is repeat of 1st Test in 2017 . Which is also feasible imo . Don’t trust this batting line up at all.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes that's why I said pitches like Ahmedabad 2008 or Mumbai 2001, they had some assistance in the first dig, in case of Ahmedabad a lot more actually. In fact I was 50/50 with batting first on this pitch as well. Similar case in Delhi with cool mornings, I'd back Oz to get their best pacers & try to blow India's top order with pace. That pitch, if it does have something in the first session, will generally get flatter & slightly better to bat on day 2-3 as compared to the first session on day one. I also think Oz batting is their weak suit, like India.

Any way whatever you do you have to do it almost perfectly in the first dig.
Right now with 4 passengers in the top 6 & a rookie keeper the first one. Scoring below par also has a multiplier effect which should not be underestimated.
Yeah this is what is clear from the 1st test. Only one team is capable of recovering in these conditions, and its not Australia. They have to do everything right at first chance.

Coronis

International Coach
Yeah gotta agree with impatientline here. Rahul needs to go no matter what, averaging 15 in his last few tests or something like that
Rahul last 5 tests - 157 runs @ 17.44, 1 fifty
Kohli last 5 tests - 124 runs @ 15.50, HS 24

Who needs to go?

subshakerz

International Coach
Your template is repeat of 1st Test in 2017 . Which is also feasible imo . Don’t trust this batting line up at all.
Smith and Labu are fine. Khwaja is due some runs and I expect will deliver.

Warner is a true passenger. Renshaw and Handscomb seem out of their depth. If I were the captain, I would tell them to take a BazBall approach and do anything as long as they don't allow the spinners to settle. Carey showed the way in the first innings. Give them full license to have a swing since they are out of options.

Absolutely essential the spinners can't have a rhythm.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Smith and Labu are fine. Khwaja is due some runs and I expect will deliver.

Warner is a true passenger. Renshaw and Handscomb seem out of their depth. If I were the captain, I would tell them to take a BazBall approach and do anything as long as they don't allow the spinners to settle. Carrey showed the way in the first innings.

Absolutely essential the spinners can't have a rhythm.
I was talking about Indian batting order which starts at 5 ?
Aus batting is better than India . While we much better bowlers .

Shri

Mr. Glass
ideal scenario:

Rohit*
Shaw
Pujara
Gill
Shreyas
Jadeja
Bharat+
Ashwin
Axar
Shami
Siraj

pujara seemed back to form against bangladesh so he gets this series to do something great

sarfaraz for pujara otherwise

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Like Jadeja would be a far less effective bowler in the Dickie Bird days of umpiring because all you would ever need to do is just lunge as far as you can at the pitch of the ball, cover the turning ball with your bat, and smile as the bowler appeals uselessly for an LBW we all know now is dead plumb but simply wasn't given in those days.
It's a really valid point.

DRS has completely changed how batsmen have to play spin bowling. Jadeja wouldn't have the record he has if he'd have played in the pre DRS era.

In those days, batsmen could play primarily with their pad, hiding their bat behind it in the pretence of playing a shot. If you got forward, umpires never gave you out LBW.

Now you can't do that as DRS will give you out LBW. Spinners used to get alot of their wickets caught bat pad, now there are alot more LBWs and bowled.

It's the biggest positive effect of DRS.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
ideal scenario:

Rohit*
Shaw
Pujara
Gill
Shreyas
Jadeja
Bharat+
Ashwin
Axar
Shami
Siraj

pujara seemed back to form against bangladesh so he gets this series to do something great

sarfaraz for pujara otherwise
Pant gets in for Bharat in an ideal scenario.

Ray.

School Boy/Girl Captain
I really don’t see any Australian batsman scoring much this series except Smith and he too looks at all sea vs Jadeja, and I think pitches would get more spin friendly than this one in upcoming tests. I don’t see the hype around Labus, yeah he top scored for Australia, but he was never comfortable, and had India took the his chance early he wouldn’t have scored that much. The only real threat is Smith.

Ray.

School Boy/Girl Captain
And Kohli is done in tests, he needs to retire or go back to domestic or county for a full season if he wants to play, otherwise he’s just wasting a spot. He’s a walking wicket.