• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah true. With Pucovski likely out Burns will keep his spot now. Would love Mad Dog to get a go. Deserves it tbh.

Daniel Hughes once again doing SFA at the start of a Shield season and its cost him, though tbh when the Shield was on he was miles down the list anyway

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
wtf are you dribbling about hb? I'm saying a kid who's looking to play for Australia must have a technical issue playing the short ball, which renders him comparable to a bloke I don't rate, and somehow that's "salty." Have had a cerebral event?
Is this the fabled SC sense of humour I've heard about before on CW?
Oh yeah it's a big worry. If you can't play the short stuff you can't play test cricket in the southern hemisphere. Sadly it's as simple as that. If the kid has been sconed that many times there must be a technical issue to it, just as much as there is with the periscope numpty in the Indian LO set up whose name understandably escapes me as he is a non-event.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That Pucovski incident is really unfortunate too as it was not even that short, that ball. Its really bad luck I feel, perhaps the length made him a bit indecisive as it was not completely short but reared up higher than it should have? I only saw the twitter clip once but I think others said here it did not get up as high as it should have? I got the opposite feeling seeing that clip.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I've been getting excited with the puc hype. However, if he gets hit a lot, as some have indicated, that cant be a good thing. Bummer.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Neser looks pretty decent.

Haze, Cummins and him in an attack would be pretty samey, though I suppose if you want a one dimensional attack having it molded after Cummins is hardly the worst thing.
Neser is a class bowler. Ridiculously unlucky not to have played tests

Last edited:

Jfry

U19 Debutant
FTR Steve Waugh wasn't a particularly good player of the short ball.
I can't agree with this. After he stopped taking it on, he basically never got out to it. Repeated short ball bowling is very exerting, so being able to play it consistently safely, and scoring runs against other deliveries, can be seen as playing it well

OverratedSanity

I can't agree with this. After he stopped taking it on, he basically never got out to it. Repeated short ball bowling is very exerting, so being able to play it consistently safely, and scoring runs against other deliveries, can be seen as playing it well
I dont know, I think if your scoring ability can be restricted by short pitched bowling, then "not particularly good" is a reasonable way to describe it. He merely needed to not be Raina against the short ball to be a great batsman because the rest of his game was great.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Pedantic, but he WAS a great batsman. After he shelved playing at the short ball he averaged more than Tendulkar and Lara and was the premier batsman of the late 90s.

OverratedSanity

Mid 90s more than late 90s, and yes, I literally said he's a great batsman. But if he had an attacking game against the short ball in addition to his survivability, he'd be even better than he was. Do you disagree

Victor Ian

International Coach
He merely needed to not be Raina against the short ball to be a great batsman because the rest of his game was great.
I read this as he would have been great but for not being able to play the short ball. I think i knew what you meant, but felt like being in pedant mode. I don't disagree with you.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I read this as he would have been great but for not being able to play the short ball. I think i knew what you meant, but felt like being in pedant mode. I don't disagree with you.
It can work in tests but in LO cricket today, if you cant attack the short ball or score off it, you will be a liabiliity. Which is interesting, considering how we keep saying test cricket is the ultimate test of a batsman. Its actually possible that when it comes to playing the bouncers, it may well not be, lol.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know how on earth they can call it a mild concussion btw
The same way Boyd Cordner got let back onto the field during Origin this year after having his brain turned to mince meat for the 28th time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of Pucovski's concussions haven't been due to his batting. He's had a run of knees and bats to the head, tripping down stairs and all sorts of unlucky things.

But the problem with concussion is that once you've been concussed you are more vulnerable to further concussions. Pucocski seems to be particularly vulnerable at the moment so even a relatively small head knock is giving him new concussions.

It's a real shame because I think it's going to dramatically impact on his long term ability to play test match cricket and have a mentally healthy life.

TheJediBrah

But if he had an attacking game against the short ball in addition to his survivability, he'd be even better than he was. Do you disagree
I think I do disagree tbh. Can't see how he would have been much better by attacking the short ball more. Even if he was hypothetically one of the best hookers/pullers in the world he might still have gotten out to the short ball more than the extra runs he made would have compensated. We're not talking about a 40 averaging batsman who had a lot of room for improvement. He was one of the best of his time who was at his best against the exact type of bowlers who utilised the short ball most.

DriveClub

International Regular
I think I do disagree tbh. Can't see how he would have been much better by attacking the short ball more. Even if he was hypothetically one of the best hookers/pullers in the world he might still have gotten out to the short ball more than the extra runs he made would have compensated. We're not talking about a 40 averaging batsman who had a lot of room for improvement. He was one of the best of his time who was at his best against the exact type of bowlers who utilised the short ball most.
He obviously wasnt a good 'hooker', if he was he would've scored some runs off it and he wouldn't have had to shelve it in international cricket. His hooking might have been good enough at domestic level but obviously not up to mark in the international level. Not everyone has all the shots in the book. He was a mentally strong batsmen to have the discipline to shelve a shot entirely but not skilled enough to execute it consistently at the top level. So yes he's a poor player of the short ball who had the mental fortitude to work around it.