• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I literally sat there watching the ball hoop around corners once it became 30 overs old. Sure they bounced people out too, but don't pretend the ball hasn't been reversing in Aus in recent years fs
Lol

Smith scored for fun against everyone, everywhere and Cummins bounced people out

Have you seen the records of Haze and Starc?

2005 Ashes were waaaay more dodgy than anything seen in Australia

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As mentioned on Fox Sports coverage today, odd how poor Nathan Lyon's record at the SCG is - currently averaging almost 50 a wicket.

Can only guess he usually has a massive workload each summer and with Sydney being the final Test, he runs out of gas here.
Not sure what's odd about it. The Sydney pitch has been crap for years.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I don't think he will be as penetrative, or as quick, in this test match as he was earlier. Bowlers from both sides are a tired lot.
I wouldn't mind india batting the whole day tomorrow and if possible even further ( not that it is easy). Bumrah and Shami will be much fresher on 3rd day.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I watched every ball today from the Brewongle stand and they bowled too ****ing short all day. That doesn't mean they bowled bouncers all day, it means that they didn't attack the stumps. It was mind-numbing.
i watched the first hour from home before work and mcgrath wouldn't shut up about how they were bowling too full and needed to bowl shorter. clearly they got his memo

SeamUp

International Coach
Not sure what's odd about it. The Sydney pitch has been crap for years.
Only after MCG slightly by the least amount of false strokes played at test grounds in Australia in the last few years. The least swinging ground in Australia too.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
i watched the first hour from home before work and mcgrath wouldn't shut up about how they were bowling too full and needed to bowl shorter. clearly they got his memo
They did bowl fuller early, especially Hazelwood who seemed to pull his length back as the day went on. It's obvious they have plans for certain players, which is obviously cool because they no doubt have the data to back it up. When it's obviously not working I'm just not a fan of continuing to do the same thing. For starters it's so very predictable and for a patient batsman the boredom of it is of no consequence.

Spark

Global Moderator
Only after MCG slightly by the least amount of false strokes played at test grounds in Australia in the last few years. The least swinging ground in Australia too.

tbh all this graph is really telling me that, before this year, your only chances of a pitch with mild interest for bowlers was a d/n test or a hobart greentop

Spark

Global Moderator
"false shot" sounds far too subjective a measure to be of any use in a statistical analysis.
eh so long as you have someone actually having a consistent criteria as to a false shot, then i don't see the issue. you probably should assume a decent margin of error on it.

SeamUp

International Coach
tbh all this graph is really telling me that, before this year, your only chances of a pitch with mild interest for bowlers was a d/n test or a hobart greentop
"false shot" sounds far too subjective a measure to be of any use in a statistical analysis.
Both true but the amount of stick MCG has got seems to stand out for me. Waca too but I've always felt SCG tests have been just as mundane.

Sure False shot is subjective but if you read CricProfs timeline he is no average armchair cricket bunny.

Wouldn't take it too seriously though. Just put it out there.

Top_Cat

They did bowl fuller early, especially Hazelwood who seemed to pull his length back as the day went on. It's obvious they have plans for certain players, which is obviously cool because they no doubt have the data to back it up. When it's obviously not working I'm just not a fan of continuing to do the same thing. For starters it's so very predictable and for a patient batsman the boredom of it is of no consequence.
Ya reckon they might be just shagged? No excuses, I doubt they were just unlucky all day but just about all the bowlers have put in a truckload of overs all year, that on top of having to back up quickly when the bats fell over again.

Funny thing about pundit opinions, though. Every former player who's had a mic thrust into their face has put in their 2c and tbh I can't think of one of them who hasn't said something a bit bone-headed about someone. Must wear you down when you're getting regularly potted by the experts.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
RIP Australian cricket. 1886-2018. Here lie the ashes of a once proud cricket nation. Destroyed by their own hubris at the belief that the moral superiority gained by pointlessly banning two star batsmen was better than actual results.
I watched an Andy Zaltsman stand up show. He pointed out that David Cameron whistled to himself after his resignation post-Brexit and Steve Smith cried after ball-tampering gate while being comforted by his father. Strange perspectives.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
eh so long as you have someone actually having a consistent criteria as to a false shot, then i don't see the issue. you probably should assume a decent margin of error on it.
Margin of error on false shots is high.

vcs

The last time the Sydney pitch had anything in it for the bowlers was in Ashes 2013-14 IIRC. Smith made a hugely impressive ton there.