• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know about miles. ABdv is still around. Bowling definitely not as good as the 90s but its been about the same standard for the last decade.
I think some credit needs to be given to evolution of batsmanship. Remember old days when regular batsmen didn't have the high gear and they employed pinch hitters to get acceleration? These days regular batsmen can accelerate seemingly at will, can play in all gears.

sunilz

International Regular
Mcgrath, Warne, Younis. Akram, Murali, Ambrose, Saqlain, Donald, Pollock, Akhtar, Lee , Vaas. These were some of the bowlers in 90s and mid 2000. I think only Starc from current generation is comparable to them. There is definitely a lack of good quality fast bowlers in ODI now IMO.

Bahseph

International Debutant
What a thumping. SA should be very dissapointed with this ODI series. If you play well and get beaten then it's fair enough, but this was just a mauling.

Hopefully it allows Gibson to make some tough calls. The 5-7 part of the middle order never gets exposed in bilaterals because one of either QDK, Hash, Faf or ABD performs. Then you ship them off to an ICC event and when one of the top guys doesn't perform its normally game over.

We all know Miller has glaring technical weaknesses but is fine as a hitter lower down. Behardian has a very specific role he can play, finish an innings. Not the most versatile other than that. And JP hasn't scored a century against anyone but Zim and the Netherlands. Make of that what you will. It's probably time to cut off the dead wood. Can't blame the bowling when there's nothing to defend.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fantastic from Kohli.... not just in this ODI series but including the tests. Been a brilliant series for him and should really keep the naysayers quiet.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a thumping. SA should be very dissapointed with this ODI series. If you play well and get beaten then it's fair enough, but this was just a mauling.

Hopefully it allows Gibson to make some tough calls. The 5-7 part of the middle order never gets exposed in bilaterals because one of either QDK, Hash, Faf or ABD performs. Then you ship them off to an ICC event and when one of the top guys doesn't perform its normally game over.

We all know Miller has glaring technical weaknesses but is fine as a hitter lower down. Behardian has a very specific role he can play, finish an innings. Not the most versatile other than that. And JP hasn't scored a century against anyone but Zim and the Netherlands. Make of that what you will. It's probably time to cut off the dead wood. Can't blame the bowling when there's nothing to defend.
That 5-7 middle order has been a problem for years now in bothe LO and Tests, and nobody has really stepped up. You can cover it at Test level because we have largely be playing a 7/4 split; but in LO you need the 5th bowler and we are continuously getting exposed.... no easy solutions for SA because we just don't have that quality all-rounder available yet and most of our up and coming batsmen play 1-4...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am really hoping Raina comes good in t20s and finds a spot in ODI team too. Spot of Jadhav/Iyer is up for grabs and we need some hitting ability lower down the order. Pandya needs to contribute with bat more often else we are wasting a spot for a no-rounder (harsh I know, but I have a hard time accepting bits and pieces all rounders)

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Looked at India's FTP for next year

India and Australia are playing 8 ODI and 5 T20s next year in Jan and Feb.
India and NZ are playing 5 ODI and 5 T20s in NZ next year in Jan.
India are not playing test in NZ due to time-zone difference.

Heboric

International Debutant
Looked at India's FTP for next year

India and Australia are playing 8 ODI and 5 T20s next year in Jan and Feb.
India and NZ are playing 5 ODI and 5 T20s in NZ next year in Jan.
India are not playing test in NZ due to time-zone difference.
Come on India, should have tried for a double digit ODI series

robbypark

U19 Debutant
Honestly, South Africa should be competitive in these t20s. They have a pretty good lineup for smashing in 20 overs as compared to ODIs where their batsmen trying and play tuk tuk despite having no idea what they are doing. When ABD, Klaasen, and Miller are free up to just swing they can put up a big number. They get a small bit of leeway for their ODIs because of all the injuries but nobody would have wanted QDK on the t20 squad anyway in his current form. If they aren't at least competitive in these t20s, it's unforgivable.

Dhoni being in India's side for the t20s is pretty laughable. The old man simply can't accelerate anymore and is their biggest achilles heel. It would be better for SA to not wicket him out as he'll probably waste 50 balls with a 100 strike rate lol.

Last edited:

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
I genuinely feel South Africa has upper hand in these T20s considering they have much more capable good hitters than we do. But I really hope Suresh Raina is given a chance and is able to score high. Also not sure how South African batsmen react to the spinners in this series. Guessing they will play attacking cricket against them.

robbypark

U19 Debutant
That 5-7 middle order has been a problem for years now in bothe LO and Tests, and nobody has really stepped up. You can cover it at Test level because we have largely be playing a 7/4 split; but in LO you need the 5th bowler and we are continuously getting exposed.... no easy solutions for SA because we just don't have that quality all-rounder available yet and most of our up and coming batsmen play 1-4...
Everything you say is correct but QDK needs to fire upon his return or he needs to be dropped from the national. I'm starting to think he just doesn't have the skills anymore.