• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Kirkut

International Regular
Going to Wankhede tomorrow, would love to see a double ton from Kohli. Also an opportunity to watch Cook bat from close.

Groundking

International Debutant
We should have learnt in the UAE that our pave bowling is our strength in these conditions, with Anderson + somebody on early doors for a good spell to try and take advantage of early swing, and Stokes from overy 55/60, for reverse, and that our spinners are just going to get slapped around and generally be ineffective.

But no thick **** Cook, who had a say in picking 4 seamers for this test, thinks it's a good idea to revert to plan and bowl the spinners for 2 thirds of the game, he's ****ing thick I tell you. Unbelievable score card to wake up to this morning.

Well played India, batted so well this series, shame our bowling has rarely put you under proper pressure.

cnerd123

likes this
Kohli WAFG

Also Jayant was with the A Team recently for a few series, so not a totally left field pick. They have identified him for a while. I'm still not completely impressed by his bowling, but he's more than handy as a third spinner and a number 8/9. Perfect for his role in the team.

Bhuvi yet to bat, 50 run lead, Kohli looking amazing. Excellent stuff.

cnerd123

likes this
Talk about hedging your bets. Could have claimed that whichever way it went.
I feel like I've earned this. All my work in the BD series means I don't need to Gambhir at all this series.

I'm going to have to work twice as hard when the NZ/BD and Ind/Aus series are underway tho.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Snoozefest

Vijay being literally shot against any ball above waist height and still scoring 136 says it all

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't worry. The stuff Cook said before the Bangladesh tour sounded like he was very close to the end and was looking forward to not having the stress of the captaincy and concentrating on his batting again in the near future.

Kinda think Cook's captaincy has always just been basically the same. People praise it some series and criticise it others depending on whether they are winning or losing but it's basically stayed the same for me. It's always been average. He isn't particularly inspiring or tactically good - but the rest of the team admires him massively for his test record and follow him as a result.

There isn't much you can do as a captain if you don't have the players. Sure he could do things differently but I doubt a great captain gets better results in this series. Ali is a half hearted spinner who wants to be a batsman and Rashid just isn't very good.

The Ali situation is the thing that has annoyed myself for ages and I think there is fault with Cook, Bayliss and Ali.

I made the argument he shouldn't have opened in the UAE but they put him there, this time they had less options so it was a little more understandable they have batted him at 4 or 5. I just don't see what all these fans and pundits see in his batting to make him a top 5 batsman. He just isn't good enough. Spin or Seam he is too loose. Just because he averages 88 at 7 in 10 innings doesn't make him a top order batsman. It's completely different.

What they should have been concentrating on for these tours of Asia is his bowling. Quality Spin bowling (or lack of it) is England's main weakness. England should have been putting everything into improving his bowling rather than making him concentrate on batting in the top 5. Tell him he's the number one spinner and that you're the guy. You can't win if your spin bowlers are bad. And yet they try and turn their potentially best spinner into a test batsman on tours of Asia.

Ali hasn't helped. He clearly doesn't want to be a bowler, or thinks he's a bowler. He's given interviews where he's talked about wanting to bat higher in the order so to an extent he's brought his movement up and down the order on himself.

Really Cook and Bayliss imo should have told Ali to shutup and that you're going as primarily a spin bowler. Concentrate on that. Bat 7 or 8 and whack it but first and foremost concentrate on the spin bowling.

That's probably Cook's biggest problem as captain. He's just too nice a bloke to tell someone the hard truth. Broad and Anderson have got away with loads of stuff on the field where Cook should have told them to stop whining occasionally or stop half assing it at 80mph and put some effort into it. Occasionally you need an edge to your personality. You need to make that big decision before it's obvious to everyone. Say dropping Ballance or bringing in James Taylor (and dropping Buttler or Bairstow) in UAE last winter.

Bayliss seems to have done very well generally but he struggles a bit because of his lack of knowledge of the English game. He might want to take a tougher line than Cook but he simply knows nothing about those below the test setup to really make a tough decision.

Bijed

International Regular
sackable performance by cook today?
Yeah, quite possibly. I've got no problem with giving Root the captaincy next game just to see how it goes.

I think theegyptian nailed tbh. I've personally found Cook's captaincy to be, on the whole, decent enough, but nothing more. I do think he's copped some undeserved flak (not so much here on CW, more so on things like BBC Have Your Say where in fairness you don't generally expect a high level of critical analysis) and I've fought his cause a bit because of this but I'm starting to want someone who is more than just adequate at the job (well, obviously I'd always wanted that, but had been happy enough with Cook) - I don't know if Root will be a step up, but why no give him the chance now, especially as Cook does seem to feel the end is nearing and may have already mentally checked out to some extent.

Regarding Bayliss, I'd certainly like him to have a better knowledge of the English domestic scene, but it's not at the top of my 'things I want fixed about English cricket' list.

Last edited: