• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Groundking

International Debutant
Maybe.. but even he wont have done that to Steyn, which is the point.
I don't think he trusts seem up options/trusts the spin far too much in the subcontinent, otherwise why would have persisted with spin so ****ing much in now the 9th test in Asia (UAE, Banga, India) in 12 months, despite repeated showings they don't threaten and just get slapped around the park and make it easy peasy for the batting side. It's ****ing ridiculous, we have a 4 man seem up attack, there's no reason what so ever they can't all put in 14/5/6 over shifts in in a day. It's absolutely stupid that Anderson/Woakes/Stokes/Ball have only bowled 45 overs in ~5 sessions of play, they should be touching 70 overs by now really, and to top it all off, other than Woakes, they all have a better economy than our spinners, so had we bowled them a bit more India might only be around 400 right now, which in turn makes it mile easier for us when we have to bat again.

Honestly it's like he has no plan on how to bowl our seem options. Surely you go 6 overs each from whichever 2 of Anderson, Broad and Woakes that are playing, then chuck the ball to the other 2 for 3 or 4 overs minimum to see if they can get anything out of the pitch, extend the session if they're going well, THEN you turn to spin for a bit, save Stokes for overs 60/65/70 if there's any reverse and give the other 3 3 or 4 over stints with spin mixed in up until then. Then you go Stokes + Spin trying to get reverse out of the ball, take the new ball and bowl a rested up Anderson, and should the new ball be 20 odd overs into the new day you start the day off with whichever 2 of Anderson, Broad and Woakes that are playing for a few overs.

But no, this prat thinks it's a good idea to keep plugging away with Rashid and Moeen for over after over on end, not take the ****ing new ball for forever, and scratch his head whilst Kohli + somebody mauls the **** out of them, despite either spinner EVER showing anything like the consistency in control and accuracy to test bowlers that between them bowl 2 THIRDS of the ****ing overs, after 8 previous tests in Asia where they've been mostly utterly ****ing ****e.

It's not even ****ing hard, our seem bowling is our huge strength over everybody else (except arguably SA), why has he been so hesitant to use them in this series?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not really... Ashwin was not given much of a bowl in conditions which were obviously not suited to spin. MSD won't have done it to Shane Warne. Pretty pertinent observation given some of the discussions happening around other threads on the ATGs amongst fast bowlers and questions on Mitch Johnson and Anderson etc. in comparison to Steyn.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think he trusts seem up options/trusts the spin far too much in the subcontinent, otherwise why would have persisted with spin so ****ing much in now the 9th test in Asia (UAE, Banga, India) in 12 months, despite repeated showings they don't threaten and just get slapped around the park and make it easy peasy for the batting side. It's ****ing ridiculous, we have a 4 man seem up attack, there's no reason what so ever they can't all put in 14/5/6 over shifts in in a day. It's absolutely stupid that Anderson/Woakes/Stokes/Ball have only bowled 45 overs in ~5 sessions of play, they should be touching 70 overs by now really, and to top it all off, other than Woakes, they all have a better economy than our spinners, so had we bowled them a bit more India might only be around 400 right now, which in turn makes it mile easier for us when we have to bat again.

Honestly it's like he has no plan on how to bowl our seem options. Surely you go 6 overs each from whichever 2 of Anderson, Broad and Woakes that are playing, then chuck the ball to the other 2 for 3 or 4 overs minimum to see if they can get anything out of the pitch, extend the session if they're going well, THEN you turn to spin for a bit, save Stokes for overs 60/65/70 if there's any reverse and give the other 3 3 or 4 over stints with spin mixed in up until then. Then you go Stokes + Spin trying to get reverse out of the ball, take the new ball and bowl a rested up Anderson, and should the new ball be 20 odd overs into the new day you start the day off with whichever 2 of Anderson, Broad and Woakes that are playing for a few overs.

But no, this prat thinks it's a good idea to keep plugging away with Rashid and Moeen for over after over on end, not take the ****ing new ball for forever, and scratch his head whilst Kohli + somebody mauls the **** out of them, despite either spinner EVER showing anything like the consistency in control and accuracy to test bowlers that between them bowl 2 THIRDS of the ****ing overs, after 8 previous tests in Asia where they've been mostly utterly ****ing ****e.

It's not even ****ing hard, our seem bowling is our huge strength over everybody else (except arguably SA), why has he been so hesitant to use them in this series?

Is it possible that there was some disagreement between him and the coach and/or other selectors? I pointed out earlier that I think it might be good for England if Root can take over in tests as soon as possible. Cook is invaluable as an opener and a good first slipper and Root looks like someone who will be buoyed by the extra responsibility. And since Morgan anyways leads the white ball teams, he wont be taxed as a captain either.

Its about time for all fab 4 to be captains, damnit. :p Root the only one not yet captain too. :laugh:

Groundking

International Debutant
Is it possible that there was some disagreement between him and the coach and/or other selectors? I pointed out earlier that I think it might be good for England if Root can take over in tests as soon as possible. Cook is invaluable as an opener and a good first slipper and Root looks like someone who will be buoyed by the extra responsibility. And since Morgan anyways leads the white ball teams, he wont be taxed as a captain either.

Its about time for all fab 4 to be captains, damnit. :p Root the only one not yet captain too. :laugh:
Honestly I don't think it'd be the worse idea, especially with the way we have gone about our business here, really pissed off TBH with Cook today, and his lack of runs outside of the first test is also pissing me off, he's supposed to be this maginificent subcontinent batter, and the the captain of a team with batters who had only played 4 innings total in India before (2 a piece for Root and Bairstow), and I'm not being funny, but you've got to be doing better than 292 runs @ 41.71, with 1 ton in the first test being his biggest contribution, which ultimately meant jack **** as we drew a test we had a chance of winning. Utter ****ing rubbish.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jono: Do you like apples?
Howsie: What?
Jono: Do you like apples?
Howsie: Yeah.
Jono: Well,How do you like them apples?
Heh, made my post in the other Howsie thread before seeing this. You know me well Gob.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's also remember Cook's the only English captain to win in India in decades. Trusting spin in Panesar and Swann worked for him last time, sadly for him, Rashid and Moeen aren't anywhere near that level this time. But I don't know whether his over allocation was so lopsided last time as it is now. Anderson and Finn did make quite an impact on that tour.

OverratedSanity

He bowled poor Rashid into the ground yesterday. Why he only gave Woakes and Stokes only a handful of overs was baffling to me. It's not as though the pitch was dead for the pacers.

Rootfan

Banned
Cook has a series win in India and England have won their last 3 series comprehensively vs India. India need to put together a string of two unbeaten series at least to gain parity in this rivalry.

vcs

Standing in cue since 7:30 in morning and just been told tickets have been sold out. To watch any game in India, book your tickets online don't rely on cues.
bookmyshow worked for me last time.. they generally have cricket match tickets available.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Amazing how the capacity is now as low as 28 or 30K now at the Wankhede. For what is supposed to be one of the premium stadiums in India, that is shockingly low, esp. given the actual population of the city itself. Eden has a capacity of 65K and Bangalore and Chennai stadiums have capacities of 40-45K, think Hyderabad, Delhi etc. have between 35-40K too. Shockingly low capacity. :(