• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After this Test his average is 33 I think.

But I don't think he should be dropped.

I would be in favour of the selectors saying to him his spot is secure for the season. I really like him and having two proper opening bats is what we need.
This means that Bavuma is dropped on AB's return though. Game for that?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unfortunately tough calls have to be made. Logically Bavuma would be the one dropping out, but you know the story with that one...
I do, the story of the world's cutest cricketer and how that means he can't be dropped.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
After this Test his average is 33 I think.

But I don't think he should be dropped.

I would be in favour of the selectors saying to him his spot is secure for the season. I really like him and having two proper opening bats is what we need.
So many teams around the world are struggling in the opening positions. England are still trying to find someone to partner Cook long-term, WI are desperate to find a partner for Kraigg, Aus are struggling to find a partner for Warner, NZ are having issues with Guptil and now SA potentially have some decisions to make. Hell even India have been forced to go back to Gambhir. And perhaps that's why batting in the current climate is so up and down because settled batting orders are simply not in vogue these days.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Got to think Australia will bounce back in Hobart. Traditionally more of a NZ-like wicket, which will be a little softer and suit more conventional swing than reverse. Think it will be the most challenging conditions SA will face this series.
Fair point, Philander in particular should relish a soft spicy swinging deck & remember this is the ground Bracewell won that Test for NZ in 2011.
lol you can't help yourself, can you?

StephenZA

Unfortunately tough calls have to be made. Logically Bavuma would be the one dropping out, but you know the story with that one...
If we went on recent form Cook and Faf are the most likely to be dropped. Bavuma has done everything you would ask of a young batsmen coming into a side at 6. Scored a good ton and a couple of good 50`s and 40`s. His 50 this game in the first innings shows real temperament. And finally he is 26/27 has a good 8 years. What has Cook got for us maybe 3/4 years? Never mind the politics.

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar
Bavuma
Amla
Duminy
Du plessis
De Kock
Pretorius
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Abbot /Morkel

team likely to play for the second test?
Real possibility. Just don't want to mess with Bavuma's head. I guess the same can go for Rilee as well if they decide to open with him.

Opening the batting in test cricket is probably the toughest role. But for me I like a grafter and a bravado opener if you want to call him that. Suppose we had two bravado's with Smith/Gibbs.

In the past we seem to force openers who aren't as well like Gibbs (worked), McKenzie (worked for a little bit), Rudolph/Dippenaar/Prince/van Zyl (not really)

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
To be fair SA has had issues at the top of the order since Gibbs stopped opening alongside Smith.

McKenzie was useful for a bit and so too Alviro. There was Imraan Khan for one match and the failed Prince experiment. Elgar got the shot after Petersen was deservedly dropped but then Smith retired shortly afterwards.

Just in the last season we have had Stiaan v Zyl, Bavuma and QdK at the top of the order.

SeamUp

International Coach
If we went on recent form Cook and Faf are the most likely to be dropped. Bavuma has done everything you would ask of a young batsmen coming into a side at 6. Scored a good ton and a couple of good 50`s and 40`s. His 50 this game in the first innings shows real temperament. And finally he is 26/27 has a good 8 years. What has Cook got for us maybe 3/4 years? Never mind the politics.
Faf scored a crucial hundred in his last series and has shown as much of an improvement as Duminy has so I don't think there is a difference between them either.

StephenZA

Real possibility. Just don't want to mess with Bavuma's head. I guess the same can go for Rilee as well if they decide to open with him.

Opening the batting in test cricket is probably the toughest role. But for me I like a grafter and a bravado opener if you want to call him that. Suppose we had two bravado's with Smith/Gibbs.

In the past we seem to force openers who aren't as well like Gibbs (worked), McKenzie (worked for a little bit), Rudolph/Dippenaar/Prince/van Zyl (not really)
Peterson, as well... we have a tendency to ask middle order batsmen to open. Even de VIllers opened for us when he first came into the team. Some work most don`t. This is why QDK becomes so tempting even though I think he should stay at 7... it was interesting to see them open with Bavuma in that ODI against Ireland though?

SeamUp

International Coach
Peterson, as well... we have a tendency to ask middle order batsmen to open. Even de VIllers opened for us when he first came into the team. Some work most don`t. This is why QDK becomes so tempting even though I think he should stay at 7... it was interesting to see them open with Bavuma in that ODI against Ireland though?
At least that is where Vrius and AB were batting domestically when they got the call-up.

I think that was the only place they could for him into the ODI side so probably wasn't in their thinking for the tests.

Maybe go back to AB.....