• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
Dwaine Pretorius picked to replace Dale Steyn.

Interesting. Basically said to Viljoen/De Lange your wickets mean nothing. Which I'm not too unhappy about to be honest.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
That's kinda dire, even for his standards.

Also why are they saying they want to know about his background while live on air? Find out yourselves then give the info to the viewers maybe?
Na it was very complementary. Ian Healy was saying "I want to know everything about this young man. Who he played for, when he started bowling fast, who his idols are etc". Chappell said "if you want to find out when he started bowling fast, just ask the people in his village, they'll tell you"

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant

Interesting. Basically said to Viljoen/De Lange your wickets mean nothing. Which I'm not too unhappy about to be honest.
Not really a like-for-like swap though.

But think this shows Pretorius is close to a Test call-up.

Marius

International Debutant
Na it was very complementary. Ian Healy was saying "I want to know everything about this young man. Who he played for, when he started bowling fast, who his idols are etc". Chappell said "if you want to find out when he started bowling fast, just ask the people in his village, they'll tell you"
In that context, it sounds pretty bad.

SeamUp

International Coach
The thing is, that sort of comment is typical Chappelli.

It's not derogatory , it's actually a compliment to how he probably stood out in his village/community/school etc

Sure, he should do his homework before making comments like that because the only thing he got wrong , was he stereotyped.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Pretorius is an all-rounder though. Not exactly comparable to Hardus and De Lange.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol that village comment was nothing. People trying to read controversy where there isn't any.
Yup, sounds like a non-event that some people are desperately trying to be outraged by if the way seam-up described it was accurate.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not really a like-for-like swap though.

But think this shows Pretorius is close to a Test call-up.
I think the selection has got a lot to do with the two venues coming up. Don't think they require pace through the air like a MCG/scg/Gabba/Adelaide in the day would require.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Or we already have two bowlers who can bowl 145kph in the squad, so we are well covered there. Pretorius can also act as cover for Vernon and they may want to go into the Adelaide test with four seamers, two of whom can really bat.

OverratedSanity

There's something a little problematic about making the assumption that he grew up in a village though.

Whether his intentions were, you don't make a comment like that on air when you're live. At the very least it shows how poorly he's done his homework. At worst, people will point to his comment as a racial stereotype. Either way, it was extremely dumb.

Zinzan

Speaking of which, whatever happened to De Lange. I often used to think if he was a Kiwi, he'd hardly miss a match.

Marius

International Debutant
Or we already have two bowlers who can bowl 145kph in the squad, so we are well covered there. Pretorius can also act as cover for Vernon and they may want to go into the Adelaide test with four seamers, two of whom can really bat.
Wonder what the odds of are in XI of:

Elgar
Bavuma
Amla
JP
Faf
QDK
Pretorius
Vern
Maharaj
Rabada
Abbott/Morkel

SeamUp

International Coach
See above comments on conditions. Which probably turns a Pretorius into more of a danger with the ball so not really a work-horse in those conditions.

I think it's more perceived not replacing strike bowler with strike bowler. But if you look into it deeper, you can see why they did it like you say.

Zinzan

There's something a little problematic about making the assumption that he grew up in a village though.

Whether his intentions were, you don't make a comment like that on air when you're live. At the very least it shows how poorly he's done his homework. At worst, people will point to his comment as a racial stereotype. Either way, it was extremely dumb.
Ah... turn it up seriously. I swear people go out of their way almost looking for things to be offended by these days.

We just had a cracking Test match with an incredible display of team unity from SA against all odds, surely a side comment that insignificant isn't going to be a thing is it?

TheJediBrah

It shows a lot about the current political climate that just being a dumbass makes people think you're racist

"Village" can mean anything, doesn't literally have to mean a couple of mud huts in the middle of a savannah lead by a shaman.

Ah... turn it up seriously. I swear people go out of their way almost looking for things to be offended by these days.

We just had a cracking Test match with an incredible display of team unity from SA against all odds, surely a side comment that insignificant isn't going to be a thing is it?
They actually, genuinely do. Its just the way the world is right now. It's baffling how often this happens.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I am surprised they replaced Steyn and it makes sense they are trying to cover the all-rounder position, we already have 2 cover seamers. Olivier would have to be picked if it was a seam bowler replacement. Viljoen and De Lange are not my favourites.

SeamUp

International Coach
Speaking of which, whatever happened to De Lange. I often used to think if he was a Kiwi, he'd hardly miss a match.
Injury, Injury. Injury.

Then bowling pace while being erratic.

I also think he started bowling shorter of a length and lost one of his greatest strengths in targeting the stumps.

It's nice having two 150kph bowlers like him and Viljoen testing your domestic batsman though at least. It does separate men from the boys to a certain extent.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Fwiw people are blowing up on twitter about it. One person insinuated people in Johannesburg will/should shoot chappelli next time he goes there. Ah, bless their fragile hearts