• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder what the odds of are in XI of:

Elgar
Bavuma
Amla
JP
Faf
QDK
Pretorius
Vern
Maharaj
Rabada
Abbott/Morkel
Unlikely... same team for me, except Morkel if fit, otherwise Abbott. If they not picking 4 seamers at in Perth, then not picking 4 seamers in Hobart. If they drop Cook.. should be for Rillee.

Marius

International Debutant
It's not great from Chappell, you've got to take it from whence it comes. He's an old white dude, he probably does think most black people live in mud huts and and wear loincloths.

It would have been a lot worse if Michael Clarke or someone similar said something about Rabada being from a village.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got to think Australia will bounce back in Hobart. Traditionally more of a NZ-like wicket, which will be a little softer and suit more conventional swing than reverse. Think it will be the most challenging conditions SA will face this series.

Zinzan

He said he isn't. Don't think he warrants selection over Abbott even if he was fit.
Interesting take, although in theory I suppose they would ideally replace Steyn with a more Steyn-type bowler and perhaps Abbott is closer to that than Morkel. But I would have thought Morkel was more an incumbent than Abbott all other things being equal.

SeamUp

International Coach
Got to think Australia will bounce back in Hobart. Traditionally more of a NZ-like wicket, which will be a little softer and suit more conventional swing than reverse. Think it will be the most challenging conditions SA will face this series.
That is why Abbott deserves to get the nod for Hobart.

In saying that, I think Adelaide wicket will suit Morkel. He was probably our best bowler there last time we toured and was probably the best seamer there in the warm-up game too.

StephenZA

You think that the SA batsmen are worse against swing coming from South African conditions, than the Aus are against the moving ball? Give Philander, Rabada and Abbott some swing and see what happens to the Aus line-up. I think that the Aus team will bounce back, but if they have a bad couple of early sessions their confidence will be shot after this loss.

Zinzan

So good seeing so many SA posters here at one time..Usually there's 2 SA fans on if we're lucky.

Seam-up, Capetown guy, Kykweer.proteas & stphndbsn all at the same time! Glorious.

StephenZA

My reason for picking Morkel over Abbott is variation, think if there is swing on offer Rabada and Philander will make use of it... if the swing stops, I think that Morkel would be the more dangerous bowler than Abbott....

Zinzan

You think that the SA batsmen are worse against swing coming from South African conditions, than the Aus are against the moving ball? Give Philander, Rabada and Abbott some swing and see what happens to the Aus line-up. I think that the Aus team will bounce back, but if they have a bad couple of early sessions their confidence will be shot after this loss.
Fair point, Philander in particular should relish a soft spicy swinging deck & remember this is the ground Bracewell won that Test for NZ in 2011.

SeamUp

International Coach
So good seeing so many SA posters here at one time..Usually there's 2 SA fans on if we're lucky.

Seam-up, Capetown guy, Kykweer.proteas & stphndbsn all at the same time! Glorious.
Don't forget Marius, Sonnench, Heboric, Rasimione, Tec also

Must be record level.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Unlikely... same team for me, except Morkel if fit, otherwise Abbott. If they not picking 4 seamers at in Perth, then not picking 4 seamers in Hobart. If they drop Cook.. should be for Rillee.
It wont be fair to drop Cook imo the guy still averages 44, would be harsh to drop him after just one game.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Don't forget Marius, Sonnench, Heboric, Rasimione, Tec also

Must be record level.
Was about to say that myself. Usually for series threads involving South Africa, they end up being team selection thread for the opposition. Great to see a different set of fans talking passionately about their team and discussing combinations :)

StephenZA

It wont be fair to drop Cook imo the guy still averages 44, would be harsh to drop him after just one game.
I don`t think they should drop him either... but its a tough one when you have a guys like Rillee in form sitting on the bench.

I look back to last year when we where struggling and now its seems we have great options everywhere. Its nice to see the youngsters stand up so well when given opportunity. And the confidence the team has back again.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
congrats RSA and all RSA fans here at CW.. Amazing, unbelievable, stupendous win... Australia are not as bad as people are making them out to be. I am sure they will play better as the series goes on but the scary thing for them is that, so can RSA.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Dwaine Pretorius picked to replace Dale Steyn.

Interesting. Basically said to Viljoen/De Lange your wickets mean nothing. Which I'm not too unhappy about to be honest.
Elgar
Bavuma
Amla
Duminy
Du plessis
De Kock
Pretorius
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Abbot /Morkel

team likely to play for the second test?

Marius

International Debutant
After this Test his average is 33 I think.

But I don't think he should be dropped.

I would be in favour of the selectors saying to him his spot is secure for the season. I really like him and having two proper opening bats is what we need.

StephenZA

After this Test his average is 33 I think.

But I don't think he should be dropped.

I would be in favour of the selectors saying to him his spot is secure for the season. I really like him and having two proper opening bats is what we need.
I think he should be given this series... but with AB coming back his spot is very much under threat for SL tour.