• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
the constant 3rd umpire decisions going against us
Is this regarding Latham being given out caught of his thigh pad and it (rightfully) being overturned on review?

If so, there was no way in hell it was out. No deviation off the bat, the rotation pattern on the ball stayed the same, there was no woody sound whatsoever. It was an appalling decision by the on-field umpire, the 'howler' that the DRS system is there to remedy. Obviously we can't be Doug Bollinger 10,000,000% certain because of no HotSpot and Snicko, but with the evidence available I reckon it was as close to conclusive as you can get. Latham didn't hit it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm actually really enjoying the 3am starts. I've already got dinner on. Game of Thrones has almost finished downloading. I'll watch that, go to sleep around 9, and be up at 3 for an even bigger breakfast.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, we said that several pages back.
It's basically the entire point every NZ poster was making for those pages.

"Oh we're 2/240, awesome, that's pretty great considering we were 1/10 in foreign conditions after the first half hour. Nice position to be in, but who knows, Taylor and Shillingford might rip in and induce one of our famous lol-lapses tomorrow morning."

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Is this regarding Latham being given out caught of his thigh pad and it (rightfully) being overturned on review?

If so, there was no way in hell it was out. No deviation off the bat, the rotation pattern on the ball stayed the same, there was no woody sound whatsoever. It was an appalling decision by the on-field umpire, the 'howler' that the DRS system is there to remedy. Obviously we can't be Doug Bollinger 10,000,000% certain because of no HotSpot and Snicko, but with the evidence available I reckon it was as close to conclusive as you can get. Latham didn't hit it.
He's referring to the "no ball", which was perhaps marginal. Could have gone either way.

The third umpire is neutral. I see no reason to be upset with his decision.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm actually really enjoying the 3am starts. I've already got dinner on. Game of Thrones has almost finished downloading. I'll watch that, go to sleep around 9, and be up at 3 for an even bigger breakfast.
1am here, which is horrendous. Can't go to bed early and wake up for the first session -- I either have to ruin my sleeping pattern even more, or fix it so I can wake up and catch the last session.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He's referring to the "no ball", which was perhaps marginal. Could have gone either way.

The third umpire is neutral. I see no reason to be upset with his decision.
Part of his foot was behind the line when he bowled...it was a BS decision imo and just another in a long line of them against this team.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's basically the entire point every NZ poster was making for those pages.

"Oh we're 2/240, awesome, that's pretty great considering we were 1/10 in foreign conditions after the first half hour. Nice position to be in, but who knows, Taylor and Shillingford might rip in and induce one of our famous lol-lapses tomorrow morning."
^ Precisely, If there's any fans in the world who are cautious, pessimistic & cynical of being in such a position, it's NZ fans. We've learnt the hard way over the years.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
1am here, which is horrendous. Can't go to bed early and wake up for the first session -- I either have to ruin my sleeping pattern even more, or fix it so I can wake up and catch the last session.
Yeah that's a horrible time.

Part of his foot was behind the line when he bowled...it was a BS decision imo and just another in a long line of them against this team.
I thought I could see a part of the foot behind the line from some angles too. But it was extremely close. It's not a BS call.

Marginal calls go against every team. Certainly they don't go against WI any more than NZ.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You mean those two players you've been raving about for the last couple of years? Why do I get the feeling that if Narine had played and there was a similar end of day result, you'd be saying Narine was rushed back from the IPL too early and Shillingford should have played.
I don't really need to "rave" about Roach tbh...his stats are there for all to see. Shilly i've never actually backed that much because i'm a Narine man as everyone knows...and unless Shilly somehow turns this game around for me this should be his last in a WI shirt because he's looked absolute crap.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That conspiracy against the Windies was supposed to be secret, how did you get to know about it WW?

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Low i know, but hey puts of this internal for a little while longer.

I don't really need to "rave" about Roach tbh...his stats are there for all to see. Shilly i've never actually backed that much because i'm a Narine man as everyone knows...and unless Shilly somehow turns this game around for me this should be his last in a WI shirt because he's looked absolute crap.

Well it looks like the third test will be moved from Guyana to St-lucia...pretty much Shillingford's doorstep where he's been unplayable in recent years. Will post more as it comes in.
Tough one...Southee and Boult are likely to be NZ'a main weapons while Roach is gonna have Taylor, Narine and Shilly/Benn for competition..i'll think about it :D .
HI!!..personally..with our tracks being spinner friendly i doubt we'll be playing three quicks, we'll probably play Narine and Shilly with Roach and Rampaul!!..thats our best attack and i'm not sure many teams will cope with that on our turf!!..but we'll see. This and the India series has been a massive wake up call for our cricket and though we're hurting it could very well be a blessing in disguise!!..big changes are sure to be made and most importantly our domestic games needs drastic improvement!!..which is currently being discussed right now.

Maybe i'm naive or it's just wishful thinking but despite the mess we've seen from this series i don't see NZ surviving our spinners in our conditions!!..Shilly has a 10fer vs Australia at home while Narine tormented the NZ batsmen the last time they visited us!!...and when you also have Roach and Rampaul to deal with!!..who imo are every bit as effective as Southee and Boult!!..then the story should look a lot different this time..whatever the case it should make interesting viewing..
To me they struggled a little in Bangledash!!..and in india Nz had as big a nightmare against spin as we did!!..Shilly is destructive at home and Narine would be there to keep the pressure on!!..although he can be destructive himself so ust having those two at you for long periods would certainly be a massive test..

Well you talk about the last two years but wasn't Roach/Rampaul and Southee/Boult all on the same pitch in the Caribbean only last year? and there was only one winner...Boult and Southee are very impressive!!..no doubt about it but imo Roach is the best of the bunch and when you have someone who is world class that kind of changes things.
Well for a start Roach says HELLO...secondly what have those two won NZ away from home? aside from one test in SL i don't see much. Narine, Roach, Shilly and Taylor/Holder are more dangerous as a unit than anything that NZ will muster up on this tour in my opinion.

Boult and Southee done very well in NZ..but they were no more devastating than Roach and Narine were when we won in the Caribbean...and soon enough one of them won't fire and what then? If Roach doesn't fire we'll have Narine and Shilly..if Taylor doesn't fire we'll have Roach and Narine..We'll see how the kiwis deal with that.
In international cricket Shilly has been called twice Hendrix..wasn't Murali called a number of times aswell? i never agreed with Shane being picked ahead of Narine but he seems to have sorted out the action problems now so we'lll see how it goes..He bowled against England, Zim, SA and Australia and wasn't called so it's not like he's been throwing all along. If he doesn't play Benn or Ashley Nurse will step in who are both very effective in home conditions.

Anyway yes Taylor scored the ton after getting dropped twice in that third test iirc? So there was an elemant of luck in that one...he did get it done although to be honest he struggled just as much against Narine as the others did from what i remember...and this time he won't just be able to be defensive against sunil and milk the others because the others will be dangerous aswell.

And lastly we played on pretty much the same kind of wickets when we last toured Bang in 2012 and we managed to win both tests...NZ's lack of quality spin is why they couldn't get the job done and it could well prove to be the case again in the caribbean.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We certainly won't with this attitude.

Guess what we're two openers away from being close to with the performance of our top seven post SL 2012?

We're sitting on a world class batsman, one of the best young batsmen in the world, a world class keeper batsman and a guy who is finally delivering on the talent he promised for a decade. We also have two young allrounders who are already impressing. We're two openers and a spinner away from starting a run to rival Hadlee's NZ.
I think that if Latham can just average 32-33 opening that will be good enough for us to go up even further in the rankings. Back in the day we had Wright and Franklin - and Franko wasn't great shakes. One decent opener (and averaging 32-33 is good enough for a NZ opener) and we are good to go. I don't see us getting that spinner you are looking for in this generation.

It happening at least every two or three tests now...pretty hard not to "know" about it. :@
Windie I am your biggest supporter and your own self analysis is accurate - you are peeved about the Narine situation and some other issues. Normally you are more composed than this. You need to lift.

Regarding your conspiracy theory. I agree with it. I think the Windies do get shafted on a regular basis based on games have seen. It is because you are lowly ranked at the moment and umpires seem to pick on such teams. However whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere and secondly it sounds ridiculous because apart from me everyone else is going to think you are smoking something for even suggesting it. I would keep that theory to being conversation piece amongst you and your friends (even though you have a case IMHO).

Flem274*

123/5
I think that if Latham can just average 32-33 opening that will be good enough for us to go up even further in the rankings. Back in the day we had Wright and Franklin - and Franko wasn't great shakes. One decent opener (and averaging 32-33 is good enough for a NZ opener) and we are good to go.

Windie I am your biggest supporter and your own self analysis is accurate - you are peeved about the Narine situation and some other issues. Normally you are more composed than this. You need to lift.

Regarding your conspiracy theory. I agree with it. I think the Windies do get shafted on a regular basis based on games have seen. It is because you are lowly ranked at the moment and umpires seem to pick on such teams. However whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere and secondly it sounds ridiculous because apart from me everyone else is going to think you are smoking something for even suggesting it. I would keep that theory to being conversation piece amongst you and your friends (even though you have a case IMHO).
dwta

Howsie

International Captain
"Excuses" where? i said i wasn't gonna bash Roach just yet because this is one of his first games back!!...why would i need an "excuse" when we haven't actally lost anything at this point? :blink:
3rd umpire, no Narine. As was just shown you talked up Shillingford and your've already deemed him done after one day. Talk about an overreaction.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I know Australia isn't Macedonia or anything, but a 3 hours highlights package ain't too bad. Really well done Williamson but I think this is one of those Test pitches where you wont know what a good score is until the opposition has batted. I don't expect the second innings to start until around half way through day 4, but who knows with Test Cricket.