• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think we might actually miss Anderson's bowling a bit in this match. He's much more of a pitch-it-up-and-swing-it bowler than Neesham. I can see Jimmy struggling a bit in these conditions.

Blocky

Banned
I think we might actually miss Anderson's bowling a bit in this match. He's much more of a pitch-it-up-and-swing-it bowler than Neesham. I can see Jimmy struggling a bit in these conditions.
Anderson really hasn't bowled well since his batting exploded though, he's been very inconsistent.

I think we're more likely to miss Wagner running in hard all day irregardless of the match position to be honest. Southee and Boult aren't built to run in hard all day on flat wickets and winkle out key wickets like Wagner has a tendency of doing. I just hope Neesham steps up and provides the work horse otherwise we'll be relying on a very green spinning attack in between bursts with the new ball and reverse swing.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Such a good days play. I hadn't realised I had timed my arrival back to NZ so well.

Although if I was smart about it I would have probably flown home via Jamaica.

A shame that Latham fell short of a well deserved century, surely he has cemented an opening slot. I'd like to say it's the end of Fulton, but Rutherford has hardly done anything to secure his spot either.

Blocky

Banned
That was always the problem with this bowling attack for me, once you leave Wagner out, you're really relying on the ball moving through the air and the ability to take quick wickets during new ball and reverse swing periods to be an effective attack, or you're placing your bets on Sodhi and Craig being able to out perform the very highest expectations anyone with a reasonable mind would place on them.

At least with Wagner you've got someone who has proven he can take guys like Chanderpaul and Bravo out even if the conditions aren't giving him much to work with.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A shame that Latham fell short of a well deserved century, surely he has cemented an opening slot. I'd like to say it's the end of Fulton, but Rutherford has hardly done anything to secure his spot either.
That's going to be the funny thing.

If Fulton fails in the second innings, there's still no justifiable reason to drop him, because the replacement is Rutherford.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Or an order re-shuffle.
I really hope Hesson doesn't.

While ultimately our ideal top 6 might include McCullum, Ryder or Williamson opening, it's very much a fantasy top 6 given that Ryder is out and we still need to play an all rounder while we're carrying not one but 2 spin bowlers in the side. I think we're better off at the moment sticking to the sacrificial lamb.

Howsie

International Captain
That's going to be the funny thing.

If Fulton fails in the second innings, there's still no justifiable reason to drop him, because the replacement is Rutherford.
Who has still been better than Fulton over the recent past. Like I said a few pages back, since that third test against England Fulton averages 18. I mean ****ing hell how did he even make this tour again? This guy literally hasn't scored a run since that third test, even domestically he's been rubbish. He's the definition of a walking wicket.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Who has still been better than Fulton over the recent past. Like I said a few pages back, since that third test against England Fulton averages 18. I mean ****ing hell how did he even make this tour again? This guy literally hasn't scored a run since that third test, even domestically he's been rubbish. He's the definition of a walking wicket.
Yeah.

I'm hoping Papps, Jeet Raval or Flynn get the call up next tour.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I don't think people are being too over the top at all.

There's been a generous smattering of congratulations for an absolutely dominant day 1 for NZ. A continuation of what happened in NZ really.

Could things fall apart tomorrow? Hell yes, NZers love to give their wicket away

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The stats indicate that a score above 300 will make it incredibly hard for the Windies to compete in their current situation. NZ look on track to make at least 400 even with a mid order collapse and without doubt have a much better seam attack than the Windies. The Windies will have to bat last on this wicket which will make crap spinners like Sodhi, Williamson and Craig look like superstars and ultimately, Windies didn't penetrate enough on Day 1 to make it difficult for NZ to set a big target.
NZ had a first innings lead the last time they played at Sabina in 2012!!..they didn't win...so again i wouldn't be counting any chickens if i was you...it wasn't long ago we posted over 500 against NZ on a similar flat deck.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I don't think people are being too over the top at all.

There's been a generous smattering of congratulations for an absolutely dominant day 1 for NZ. A continuation of what happened in NZ really.

Could things fall apart tomorrow? Hell yes, NZers love to give their wicket away
One dominant day doesn't win matches...you need more than that. I'd also mention that it was the same in Bang, big scores put on but couldn't win a game...so people need to wait until we bat first before popping open the champers imo :D .

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
One dominant day doesn't win matches...you need more than that. I'd also mention that it was the same in Bang, big scores put on but couldn't win a game...so people need to wait until we bat first before popping open the champers imo :D .
No, but one dominant day when you expected to get rolled for 200 is huge. Ohh and Howsies predictions on the WI bowling came true.

Even if we draw thats still an accomplishment for the first test on foreign soil

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
NZ had a first innings lead the last time they played at Sabina in 2012!!..they didn't win...so again i wouldn't be counting any chickens if i was you...it wasn't long ago we posted over 500 against NZ on a similar flat deck.
Against Chris Martin, Doug Bracewell, Neil Wagner and Dan Vettori. Yeah that's real relevant two years on.

I'd dare say, just looking at the history of this ground, if New Zealand go 350+ (which is looking realy good right now) we are right in the box seat.