• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* T20 and ODI matches

Spark

Global Moderator
Another reason to keep Bell in and around the ODI set-up, despite his shocking dismissals, is the fact he is the best fielder in world cricket now!

As for the youngsters....

Hales, Stokes, Taylor, Buttler, Woakes, Briggs, Finn etc. all look sensational talents. But sometimes you just have to let them learn their games and make their mistakes away from the International cameras and scathing critics.

Anyone who can hit a cricket ball like Stokes at 19/20 (Not to mention bowling 83+mph outswing) is going to have an International career. But he's obviously very nervous and so you can only assume he's got doubts himself as to whether he's ready!

If someone like Ashwin gets him a few more times over this series and the next series, suddenly everyone will assume he can't play spin, which is rubbish because he can play spin very, very well. He's just nervous and very raw! You get the odd freak like Cook who just comes in and stays there for good. But most mere mortals have to come in, see what it takes, go away and then come back in 2-3 years time!

I think it would be sensible to bring in Buttler, Briggs and Taylor in India, leave Stokes to get his finger fit and work on his game. Just rotate the kids for the next few years and let them learn the ropes very slowly! Hopefully by 2015, we'll have a fantastic squad!
?!?!??!

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that was the first name that came to mind too, but there are quite a few others I'd put definitely above Bell.

Jacknife

International Captain
He's one of the best fielders around the bat but he's just a good fielder not one of the best, although he defo seemed to have improved lately.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Bell has turned into a very good fielder, both in close and now in the deep. You expect the ball to be caught or picked up cleanly and you expect a good quality throw to come in consistently. But he hasn't got that explosive athleticism that marks out the seriously excellent top tier imo.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, Bell's ground fielding and catching has been electric of late. Can't think of any run out chances he's had so can't comment there but the bloke's a demon right now. Deserves to have his name bandied about atm IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah, Bell's ground fielding and catching has been electric of late. Can't think of any run out chances he's had so can't comment there but the bloke's a demon right now. Deserves to have his name bandied about atm IMO.
he has been good but nowhere near ABDV... Maybe because ABDV hasn't played in a while, it just gets forgotten how much better he is than the rest as a fielder. Doesn't help that he keeps in ODIs too, I guess..

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's one of the best fielders around the bat but he's just a good fielder not one of the best, although he defo seemed to have improved lately.
Best short leg around at present but there are quite a few others around the world you would put ahead of him in other positions.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
he has been good but nowhere near ABDV... Maybe because ABDV hasn't played in a while, it just gets forgotten how much better he is than the rest as a fielder. Doesn't help that he keeps in ODIs too, I guess..
Even I couldn't really argue with this. SA really need to find a keeper, he's too valuable in the field.

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Thing with Bell is he's world class in every position. Short leg, long on, cover point, gully.

Only ABdV can match his all-round genius as a fielder.

Spark

Global Moderator
No, he's merely quite good in the ring. I would rate Morgan above him as a ring fielder myself.

There are at least five to ten other fielders in the world I would rate above him as an all-round fielder. He's quick but not exceptionally athletic and he has a good but not rocket throw and isn't that accurate (Anderson is probably better than him in that regard). Best short leg in the world without question but that's a very specialized position.

I mean he's doing some good work but let's not get carried away here.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Bell just had a misfield and a very sloppy four he let by the last match(2nd ODI). Though he then did make a good stop and take a very good catch.

AbDv I would say is ahead of him by a distance. He is just fantastic.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No, he's merely quite good in the ring. I would rate Morgan above him as a ring fielder myself.

There are at least five to ten other fielders in the world I would rate above him as an all-round fielder. He's quick but not exceptionally athletic and he has a good but not rocket throw and isn't that accurate (Anderson is probably better than him in that regard). Best short leg in the world without question but that's a very specialized position.

I mean he's doing some good work but let's not get carried away here.
Is Anderson the best fielder in the world when looking purely at bowlers?

Good slipper (particularly to Swann), dynamite in the ring and an excellent outfielder as well due to his athleticism and rocket arm.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is Anderson the best fielder in the world when looking purely at bowlers?

Good slipper (particularly to Swann), dynamite in the ring and an excellent outfielder as well due to his athleticism and rocket arm.
Yeah, pretty obviously so. He's a genuinely excellent fielder.

Broad's a reasonable ring fielder as well, is fairly quick and is good in the air. Good commitment on the ground too, saves a fair few boundaries and it's difficult to get runs past him (helps that he's a tree). Good thing too, otherwise he'd come off like a right old hypocrite given how easily he goes off when someone misfields off his bowling (although now that I think of it, all England's bowlers are pretty bad in that regard. Swann especially)

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Bell just had a misfield and a very sloppy four he let by the last match(2nd ODI). Though he then did make a good stop and take a very good catch.

AbDv I would say is ahead of him by a distance. He is just fantastic.
So ABdV has never, ever misfielded a ball in his life ever?!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll @ Bell being rated as the best fielder in the world.