• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* T20 and ODI matches

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just dont understand why did they brought aaron in squad when they had no intention of playing him.
He's injury cover obviously.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be playing but there's no reason to play someone just because they happen to be in the squad; the squad exists primarily to insure against injury.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
He's injury cover obviously.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be playing but there's no reason to play someone just because they happen to be in the squad; the squad exists primarily to insure against injury.
Agree, all I am saying that whats the harm in giving him a try when other bowlers are performing bad. He is either going to be an improvement or be same in performance level.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, pretty obviously so. He's a genuinely excellent fielder.

Broad's a reasonable ring fielder as well, is fairly quick and is good in the air. Good commitment on the ground too, saves a fair few boundaries and it's difficult to get runs past him (helps that he's a tree). Good thing too, otherwise he'd come off like a right old hypocrite given how easily he goes off when someone misfields off his bowling (although now that I think of it, all England's bowlers are pretty bad in that regard. Swann especially)
Apparently it's a deliberate policy, it's been said in interviews, all England bowlers slag off bad fielding, seems to work for us, not my idea of proper cricket though.
Sidebottom was the best for overreacting to poor fielding

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sidebottom wag. Miss him.

I'm far from falling for the hype of Aaron, but he should have got a game this week instead of Munaf or RP imo. Gotta test out some of the youth in this series (which has been done with the batting, which is good).

Howe_zat

Audio File
Finn in for Dernbach. Not convinced he's a big improvement as far as one day cricket goes but Dernbach really did have to go. Probably would've gone Patel myself.
Finn's a much better bowler than Dernbach, and has played really well in limited overs cricket this year. Good move.

Spark

Global Moderator
Probably, but I think that might be a bit of an indictment on the lack of absolutely outstanding fielders around.

I'd definitely have de Villiers, Duminy, Clarke, Steve Smith and Anderson ahead of him. Probably Ponting, haven't watched him enough to judge if he's gone from ATG to just very good properly.
Yeah all of this. Ponting is still an excellent ground fielder, lightning on the field. Just lost his aim a bit.

EDIT: Raina is a very good shout.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
So the whole "we're at Lord's, lets bowl tripe down the leg side" stuff has started already. We'll get even more of that with Finn in the side.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
But seriously, good start from him. These two will bowl most of their overs at the start, try to get them a few down early to make up for the lack of death bowling, I'd imagine.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Man, Why was douchebag preferred over Finn?
He had a reputation for being good at the death and England were searching for someone who could perform that role. The fact that the guy goes for over 6pro in one day domestic cricket was probably the best hint to how he'd go though.

Personally I think that Bresnan and Broad have the skillset to develop into good death bowlers if they work on it, so I'd much prefer that option with England either playing who they think their next best bowler is (as they've done here) or another allrounder of some sort to shorten the tail (like Patel, or even Woakes perhaps).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Finn is quite the prospect. Bowls with consistent pace, 6'8", 15 years old (or so), and a great temperament.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like Finn, but the best thing he's ever done imo is be bagged out by Swann in Swann's Ashes diaries. Was hilarious :laugh: