• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2011

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder how long Simon Jones injury will keep him out for. Good start to the season by Jimmy Adams. No Carberry for Hampshire, is he injured? Probably won't miss him, lot of depth in their batting.

5 wicket haul for 17 year old left armer, Reece Topley in only his second FC game. Impressive. Reece's father, Don, a former Essex cricketer himself is probably most remembered for claiming match fixing was taking place in England in the early 90s.

Disappointing that Surrey could not force a result at The Oval. Had opportunities, particularly in the first innings when Northants were reduced to 163 for 7 yet they ended up with 350+. First time in 3 years that I missed the first county game at The Oval. :(

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watched highlights last night of a pre-season T20 tourney that recently took place in the UAE involving Notts, Sussex, etc

Either Samit Patel has done a hell of a lot of work in the off-season or the English ODI hierarchy dont know the difference between being "fit" and "fit for purpose" because he is definitely in the latter camp atm

FBU

International Debutant
Wonder how long Simon Jones injury will keep him out for. Good start to the season by Jimmy Adams. No Carberry for Hampshire, is he injured? Probably won't miss him, lot of depth in their batting.

5 wicket haul for 17 year old left armer, Reece Topley in only his second FC game. Impressive. Reece's father, Don, a former Essex cricketer himself is probably most remembered for claiming match fixing was taking place in England in the early 90s.

Disappointing that Surrey could not force a result at The Oval. Had opportunities, particularly in the first innings when Northants were reduced to 163 for 7 yet they ended up with 350+. First time in 3 years that I missed the first county game at The Oval. :(
I read somewhere that Jones will be out for 10 days. Carberry is getting over the blood clot on his lung.

Woodster

International Captain

Yes worrying injury for Carberry, as FBU alluded to. Interesting to see Hants opting for Liam Dawson to open alongside Jimmy Adams, decent start by them both.

Reece Topley looks like he's going to be a very useful prospect. Was getting some decent inswing to the right-handers, and removed some very good County players. Read somewhere he was about 6'7", but he doesn't look that big on the footage I've seen.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watched highlights last night of a pre-season T20 tourney that recently took place in the UAE involving Notts, Sussex, etc

Either Samit Patel has done a hell of a lot of work in the off-season or the English ODI hierarchy dont know the difference between being "fit" and "fit for purpose" because he is definitely in the latter camp atm
I have heard that he's actually making an effort in this department of late - Newell wasn't overly impressed over the winter when he missed the targets and he looked in better shape in the Parks this week. I was also impressed to see that when Alex Hales went to get some ice creams, none of them were for Samit.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Am delighted to announce that I'll be making my first ever trip to Lord's on Saturday. Anyone here a regular there, or happens to be visiting?

Woodster

International Captain
Am delighted to announce that I'll be making my first ever trip to Lord's on Saturday. Anyone here a regular there, or happens to be visiting?
Fantastic! Wish I was going to watch the mighty Essex hopefully give Middlesex the run around. If it falls well you should get a good close up view of Ali Cook and Rav Bopara as they try and find some imposing form, also Steve Finn will presumably be in the Middlesex XI.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

I remember wathiching a Sunday League game in the early 90s. Topley was bowling the 1st ball of the innings after lunch. He ran in and bowled with a red apple that the batsman smashed into 1000 pieces. I guess that is one thing that the move to the white ball avoids happening.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Lonwabo Tsotsobe signed for Essex. Though he won't debut today due to a family bereavement, should feature next week against Northants. Interested to see how he gets on, come to the fore as a one day bowler over the past 18 months but has fallen away in FC cricket.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Interestign to see how Gemaal Hussain goes today. Willoughby, Hussain, Kirby, Trego, Mendis looks like a decent attack for Somerset.

Good to see Harris back for Glamorgan.

Root getting another game for Yorks despite Mcgraths return, Sayers injured or left out? Can't believe Pyrah still gets a game though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pyro, thank **** for that.

Reece Topley takes the only two wickets this morning at Lord's. FC average watch: 15.7 :p

Woodster

International Captain
Interestign to see how Gemaal Hussain goes today. Willoughby, Hussain, Kirby, Trego, Mendis looks like a decent attack for Somerset.

Good to see Harris back for Glamorgan.

Root getting another game for Yorks despite Mcgraths return, Sayers injured or left out? Can't believe Pyrah still gets a game though.
Yes Somerset's does look a decent attack. Think their batting has an exciting look to it too. The top four will look to set a very solid foundation, and allow Kieswetter, Buttler, and Trego to play their aggressive brand of cricket. If they lose early wickets, be interesting to see how that positive middle order play.

Woodster

International Captain
Pyro, thank **** for that.

Reece Topley takes the only two wickets this morning at Lord's. FC average watch: 15.7 :p
Yes two more for Topley, Essex needed that with Rogers and Newman making a solid start (opening partnership - 65). Topley is the man at the moment, Chambers looking a touch expensive, while Masters in typically economical form, his nine overs so far only going for ten runs.

Another ominous partnership currently building though, a confident Malan and Housego have combined for 38 so far. Suppose we'll have to wait for Toppers next spell to break it!

Woodster

International Captain
A terrible finish to the opening session for Hants. Seemed to be preogressing nicely at 91-0, then Adams, Myburgh, McKenzie and Dawson fell in quick succession against the Champions. At lunch they've plenty of work to do to re-build this innings, 104-4. Two wickets for the re-called loanee Charlie Shreck and two for last season's bowling star Andre Adams.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
'kin ell Durham, way to collapse. Hopefully Stokes and Fatty get a few.

Mendis getting some tap on debut

Looking at pictures Topley is a bit of a unit...the next Steve Finn? anyone seen him bowl? (he has 3-27 now)

Last edited: