• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Or run us into the ground, when I watch he's always really seemed to care more about himself than the team what with his running fiasco's and his girl to girl bouncing filled in the tabloids, just seems like what Beckham did to footy.
I dont think that has always been the case. Lately, yes I have been very frustrated at his dismissals, but maybe this is what he needs.
The English are quick to shun Pieterson, but the fact of the matter is, he is your best batsmen and like Australia with Warnie you must embrace his style and confidence because thats what makes them the players they are.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Its that type of viewpoint that had Botham captaining England. Let me know how that went.
Botham though was the wrong choice because there was someone very obviously better qualified for the job. That isn't the case here, we have to make do with what we've got.

Additionally, Botham and Pietersen are quite different characters.

cover drive man

International Captain
I know he's our best batsmen I understand that. And that's another thing captaincy certainly didn't help Vaughan's performances with the bat, maybe its with the pressure and responsibility of leading the team. And I don't want to see that happening to our best batsmen and one of our best finds in years. The fellas got a lot in him I don't want it ruined with captaincy.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I see. One thing that makes me doubt that is Vaughan's words about his family - and he was very, very emotional whenever he spoke about them (and this was at least 2 occasions about 5-10 minutes apart) in a way, as I said, that he wasn't at any other time. I just don't think that sort of thing could be acted unless you were Hank Marvin or Tom Hanks.
?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Botham though was the wrong choice because there was someone very obviously better qualified for the job. That isn't the case here, we have to make do with what we've got.
Who Brearley? A guy that makes Strauss look Bradmanesque?

Brearley was not a Test quality cricketer.
There are far better choices than KP and this type of cricketer, be it Botham or BCL dont do well in these roles.

I think there are 5 thing that are important for a captain

1) Must be capable of making the team on merit (KP does, Strauss probably, Brearley definately not)
2) Must be capable and willing to put the team intrests ahead of individual (Im not sure KP can)
3) Ideally have experience and be a keen student of the game (I dont think KP has this)
4) The best player of an average team should not carry additional pressures of captaincy. They carry enough weight having the expectations of performance. By putting all the eggs in one basket you risk losing both your captain and your best player if the pressure effects his game (ala Botham).
5) They must be skilled in off field politics and diplomcy. So much of International captaincy is off field roles. KP isnt the right type.

KP, himself, and a KP type of player isnt suitable for International captaincy. Its a double no-no in this case.

Absolute shambles. Why the captains are resigning when the selectors are not is beyond me?

Last edited:

cover drive man

International Captain
I don't understand this.
I was making two points.

1) He seems like a person who will be constantly in the eye of the papers due to the life he leads, he's a young fella who likes to have fun fair play to him, but do we want an England captain more celebrity than player?

2) It was around last year were Collingwood was captain in a couple of test pieterson would make some pretty bad decisions about when to run and it would often cost his team mates rather than himself.

cover drive man

International Captain
5) They must be skilled in off field politics and diplomcy. So much of International captaincy is off field roles. KP isnt the right type.

KP, himself, and a KP type of player isnt suitable for International captaincy. Its a double no-no in this case.
That was the point I was trying to make.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, Graeme Smith claims two England captains (ie, they resign mid-series in a series against his SA). Dead-set, if you'd told anyone that in May 2003, they'd have laughed in your face.
And both due largely to big hundreds from Smith himself.

Wonder what the odds are on Pietersen being given the Oval test on a temporary basis and Smith to score 200 and embarrass England so badly that he vows never to captain the side again.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was making two points.

1) He seems like a person who will be constantly in the eye of the papers due to the life he leads, he's a young fella who likes to have fun fair play to him, but do we want an England captain more celebrity than player?
Well he's married now, but even if he was shagging every bimbo in sight, I could care less, TBH. Certainly not one of the reasons I don't want him as captain.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
And both due largely to big hundreds from Smith himself.

Wonder what the odds are on Pietersen being given the Oval test on a temporary basis and Smith to score 200 and embarrass England so badly that he vows never to captain the side again.
Kevin Pietersen. Embarrassed? I think not.