• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sky now claiming Paul Collingwood has resigned as ODI captain...
Haha... most bizarre resignation in history unfolds as captain sees a captain of a similar team (in the terms that there is some vague similarity between the England Test and ODI teams - and personnel has zero to do with this comment BTW) resign and decides to follow-suit, despite complete absence of further reasoning...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not unhappy if it is KP, personally. In any case, who else is there?
Andrew Strauss. Who, to me, would have seemed the best choice. A decent if not outstanding, to date, captain who's done the job at international level before and, to my mind, is clearly a Test-class batsman (when he's not treading on his stumps).

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
But that doesn't explain Collingwood being resigned. If it's not Kevin Pietersen I'll eat my computer.

Swervy

International Captain
Strauss only just got his place back and you get the feeling he's not completely out of the woods yet and loss of form could be only around the corner again. At the end of the day as much as people don't like it, KP is the only secure member of the side,
I am with that one 100%. We are still only a few tests away from discussing whether Stauss should be in the team.

Right at the mo, I would be thinking KP

pasag

RTDAS
Interesting press conference, said he'd knew this would happen if they lost to SA and wasn't far off from this against NZ where he found himself becoming more and more cynical. The obvious gist is this would never have happened if England won more. Also came out that he needs a haircut ASAP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Press conference is on Sky Active on the red button on the news for those with Foxtel.
This wasn't quite as awful as the Nasser Hussain resignation in 2003, but it was rather sad. Hussain could barely speak for much of that conference, Vaughan only seemed to have difficulty when he talked about his family - apart from that he was always steady.

Well, Graeme Smith claims two England captains (ie, they resign mid-series in a series against his SA). Dead-set, if you'd told anyone that in May 2003, they'd have laughed in your face.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why doesn't Collingwood want to take the role? I mean, he is more than capable, isn't he?
He evidently seems to think the ODI captaincy has affected his Test form. Who knows - not completely impossible that it has.

Either way, I think it's safe to say it'll be one captain in both game-forms. And almost equally safe to say England will have their first South African captain since Tony Greig.

(Discounting Allan Lamb who was only a stand-in)