• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

cover drive man

International Captain
Nobody is mentioning Ian Bell?

He's a fixture in both tests and ODI's and seems like a smart, thinking cricketer.

English fans help me out, not a very good tactician or simply not captaincy material?
I thought Ian Bell but thought he's a bit too quiet for it he seems more like the unsung hero of the bunch.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Dissagree, why do you think that?
I'd have stuck with Vaughan, but given he's gone, I think KP is genuinely the next best choice.

As others have said, I don't think Strauss is as yet completely assured of a place, and there's no-one else.

While he's got no captaincy experience, I think his character is such that he might (emphasis on "might") turn out to be an excellent captain.

With the Ashes only a year away, I'd have kept Vaughan until then and made changes (if necessary) after - I think a settled side is paramount. But with no choice now, I think we need to take somewhat of a risk, and KP represents that, with IMO the potential to really turn us around.

pasag

RTDAS
Well he's not known for his mental strength as a cricketer by any stretch of the imagination. :p

I imagine he'd be fine tactically, but I have severe doubts over whether he'd cope with the pressure of it all and how it'd effect his batting.
Would be Kim Hughes all over again.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I see. One thing that makes me doubt that is Vaughan's words about his family - and he was very, very emotional whenever he spoke about them (and this was at least 2 occasions about 5-10 minutes apart) in a way, as I said, that he wasn't at any other time. I just don't think that sort of thing could be acted unless you were Hank Marvin or Tom Hanks.
Hank Marvin? of The Shadows?

Anyway, Ive been around sports long enough to not believe a word of resignation or retirement press conferences (most recent see Brett Favre). People are leant on and pressured and a day/a week/ a month or so later regret being allowed to be pushed and influenced.

I just think this is best for the management as it keeps the Test captain as high in presige and cash as the T20 capt and takes away the awkward possibility of the T20 captain earning double that of the Test captain.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I see. One thing that makes me doubt that is Vaughan's words about his family - and he was very, very emotional whenever he spoke about them (and this was at least 2 occasions about 5-10 minutes apart) in a way, as I said, that he wasn't at any other time. I just don't think that sort of thing could be acted unless you were Hank Marvin or Tom Hanks.

:laugh:

masterblaster

International Captain
Out of a choice of KP and Strauss I'd definitely pick Strauss. He has captaincy experience, seems tactically solid and is a perfect role model for the younger players. Let KP stick to his batting, I just don't see him as a viable leader.

Spinksy

Banned
Nobody is mentioning Ian Bell?

He's a fixture in both tests and ODI's and seems like a smart, thinking cricketer.

English fans help me out, not a very good tactician or simply not captaincy material?
I actually mentioned him somewhere in another thread. He is captain material in my opinion and probably wouldn't be a bad selection either, even if it is only for a short period of time it would be a good choice for them, I am not an English fan, nor am I even English by the way.

cover drive man

International Captain
I'd have stuck with Vaughan, but given he's gone, I think KP is genuinely the next best choice.

As others have said, I don't think Strauss is as yet completely assured of a place, and there's no-one else.

While he's got no captaincy experience, I think his character is such that he might (emphasis on "might") turn out to be an excellent captain.

With the Ashes only a year away, I'd have kept Vaughan until then and made changes (if necessary) after - I think a settled side is paramount. But with no choice now, I think we need to take somewhat of a risk, and KP represents that, with IMO the potential to really turn us around.

Or run us into the ground, when I watch he's always really seemed to care more about himself than the team what with his running fiasco's and his girl to girl bouncing filled in the tabloids, just seems like what Beckham did to footy.

Napier16

Banned
Ian Bell? Don't be absurd.

I doubt games would ever get further than the toss, with the opposition captain unable to call due to hysterical fits of laughter towards his counterpart.

Can you imagine the likes of Biff, and Punter standing in the middle taking it seriously with the Sherminator there in his school blazer?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
when I watch he's always really seemed to care more about himself than the team
I don't think KP will make a great captain, but I don't really think that is true. There seems to be a general connection between arrogance and selfishness in people's minds and it isn't always the case.

I wouldn't consider Pietersen a selfish cricketer judging from what I've seen when he's out there.

cover drive man

International Captain
I don't think KP will make a great captain, but I don't really think that is true. There seems to be a general connection between arrogance and selfishness in people's minds and it isn't always the case.

I wouldn't consider Pietersen a selfish cricketer judging from what I've seen when he's out there.
Maybe selfish is the wrong word, but I still dont think much of his attitude.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Or run us into the ground, when I watch he's always really seemed to care more about himself than the team what with his running fiasco's and his girl to girl bouncing filled in the tabloids, just seems like what Beckham did to footy.
Odd post, as Napier above me said, most of this is news to me.

He might well be a poor captain - I don't know. He's still IMO the best option, and the captain who, I feel, has the best chance of winning the Ashes next year, even if it still a minute one. We need to take risks at this stage I feel, Pietersen is the only one with that something extra.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Odd post, as Napier above me said, most of this is news to me.

He might well be a poor captain - I don't know. He's still IMO the best option, and the captain who, I feel, has the best chance of winning the Ashes next year, even if it still a minute one. We need to take risks at this stage I feel, Pietersen is the only one with that something extra.
Its that type of viewpoint that had Botham captaining England. Let me know how that went.

cover drive man

International Captain
After the ashes he was in the papers a few times one time with some bimbo from big brother then about a week later with some model. The running fiasco was around last year and he did lots of dodgy run outs.