• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He evidently seems to think the ODI captaincy has affected his Test form. Who knows - not completely impossible that it has.

Either way, I think it's safe to say it'll be one captain in both game-forms.
TBH, I think is more to do with having the Test guy as also the same guy that captains in the Stanford multi-millions games, rather than ODIs.

I wondered how they would deal with Vaughan being Test captain (the premier role in English cricket) and not being part of the big money pay out. Almost as if Test captain was secondary to T20.

This is an easy fix.

I reckon a lot has gone on behind the scences for this to happen.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Colly there's also the small matter of that incident against the Kiwis, personally I'd of never had him captain us again. Went against the bone.

It's not as if England have been stellar in ODIs since he took over. Not his fault actually, just we're crap at it, but still...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Felt for Mick in the conference. Poor bloke nearly went a couple of times. Handled himslef with candour & dignity tho.

I'm now happy inasmuch as I'm sure he's gone of his own volition rather than being leant on too. Thanks for the memories, Michael. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I think is more to do with having the Test guy as also the same guy that captains in the Stanford multi-millions games, rather than ODIs.

I wondered how they would deal with Vaughan being Test captain (the premier role in English cricket) and not being part of the big money pay out. Almost as if Test captain was secondary to T20.

This is an easy fix.

I reckon a lot has gone on behind the scences for this to happen.
Hmm. I seriously hope not but I'm not going to be foolish enough to rule the thing out.

Did you watch the conference?

masterblaster

International Captain
Felt for Mick in the conference. Poor bloke nearly went a couple of times. Handled himslef with candour & dignity tho.

I'm now happy inasmuch as I'm sure he's gone of his own volition rather than being leant on too. Thanks for the memories, Michael. :)
Agreed entirely. Michael Vaughan is a class act and a fine ambassador for English Cricket. Disappointed to see him go, and would hate to see a mug like KP replace him. He has said that he will play on so here's hoping he regains his touch as a batsman.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Not sure about giving KP the captaincy, but I suppose Strauss is no longer a viable option after a couple of disasters he had. Still, averaged something like 55 as captain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did not
I see. One thing that makes me doubt that is Vaughan's words about his family - and he was very, very emotional whenever he spoke about them (and this was at least 2 occasions about 5-10 minutes apart) in a way, as I said, that he wasn't at any other time. I just don't think that sort of thing could be acted unless you were Hank Marvin or Tom Hanks.

masterblaster

International Captain
Nobody is mentioning Ian Bell?

He's a fixture in both tests and ODI's and seems like a smart, thinking cricketer.

English fans help me out, not a very good tactician or simply not captaincy material?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The return of the selectorial knee jerk reaction that served so badly in the late 80's/90's

I predict a disaster

It seems no lessons have been learned from Duncan Fletcher - sadly his legacy will be a twisted and bitter volume of autobiography and not the introduction of a sensible structure to the selection of international cricketers in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

He's a fixture in both tests and ODI's and seems like a smart, thinking cricketer.

English fans help me out, not a very good tactician or simply not captaincy material?
I guess too many people think he's just too timid.

Faulty first impressions tend to stick.

cover drive man

International Captain
I see. One thing that makes me doubt that is Vaughan's words about his family - and he was very, very emotional whenever he spoke about them (and this was at least 2 occasions about 5-10 minutes apart) in a way, as I said, that he wasn't at any other time. I just don't think that sort of thing could be acted unless you were Hank Marvin or Tom Hanks.
Of course it would be emotional and maybe there's some aspects with his life we don't need to know about.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Well he's not known for his mental strength as a cricketer by any stretch of the imagination. :p

I imagine he'd be fine tactically, but I have severe doubts over whether he'd cope with the pressure of it all whether he could minimise the effect it'd have on his batting.

Last edited: