• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Jakester1288

International Regular
  1. 195
  2. 309
  3. 155
  4. 164
  5. 173
  6. 201
  7. 254
  8. 180
  9. 151
  10. 319
  11. 201*

Those are his last 11 centuries......

That just proves that when he scores, he scores big. And average of 230, which was helped by the triple hundreds and last nights 201 not out.

Sri Lanka in troble,went from 1/126 to 5/192, which is 4/60 odd, which is fairly dire.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harbhajan is really earning his corn today. If this is how he's going to be post-suspension then I welcome the new Bhajji with open arms.

Migara

International Coach
Nice bowling from Harbhajan. Unless Mahela does something, SL is doomed. He has to hit a 150, with halfs from Prasannan and Vaas (who are quite capable, especially Vaas, who's very good against spin)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Harbhajan is really earning his corn today. If this is how he's going to be post-suspension then I welcome the new Bhajji with open arms.
Just watch out for that backhand flick while you get close to him :dry:

ret

International Debutant
magnificent double by Sehwag .... such innings are the reason why I rate him as one of the all time Indian greats :)

looking at how the others are performing with the bat, may be it would make sense to play Sehwag and Gambhir as the only batsmen with the rest being bowlers, along with a WK :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
magnificent double by Sehwag .... such innings are the reason why I rate him as one of the all time Indian greats :)

looking at how the others are performing with the bat, may be it would make sense to play Sehwag and Gambhir as the only batsmen with the rest being bowlers, along with a WK :p
I think Sehwag has earned his place into any all time Indian XI now - mine with immediate effect.

By the way, in forty seven years of watching Indian cricket, I cant think of one Indian batsman who, while batting at 199, with the number 11 at the other end, would not go for an easy single of the third ball of the over because he did not want to expose the tail ender to Murali.

He may never have got that single he eventually got off the last ball but for me, that says something I cant say of anyother Indian batsman past or current - no Gavaskar and no Tendulkar would have ever done this.

Hats off dear Virendra.

Anyone who ever dares to talk of Viru needing to be disciplined, needs to have his/their head/s examined.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Sehwag has earned his place into any all time Indian XI now - mine with immediate effect.

By the way, in forty seven years of watching Indian cricket, I cant think of one Indian batsman who, while batting at 199, with the number 11 at the other end, would not go for an easy single of the third ball of the over because he did not want to expose the tail ender to Murali.

He may never have got that single he eventually got off the last ball but for me, that says something I cant say of anyother Indian batsman past or current - no Gavaskar and no Tendulkar would have ever done this.

Hats off dear Virendra.

Anyone who ever dares to talk of Viru needing to be disciplined, needs to have his/their head/s examined.
he doesn't have to be disciplined.

But it was obvious that he is working on his game a lot more now and there is a lot more focus in his approach. It may not be immediately visible, and for most casual fans he is still the same Viru, but there is a lot more intent and purpose in whatever he is doing. I am planning to write a pretty detailed post in the subtle changes in his game soon but one thing is for certain, the time out of the side seems to have lit up something in his belly. Irrespective of success and failure, it is his attitude that has impressed me most in his second coming...

ret

International Debutant
in 2008,

in 12 innings so far, Sehwag has scored some 900 runs a an average of 82!!!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah never thought i'd say this, but he has to be the best opener india has produced after gavaskar...and therefore would get into an indian all-time side....:-O

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In place of whom? Merchant? To me, the top five in the Indian lineup of Gavaskar, Merchant, Dravid, Tendulkar, and Hazare are pretty set. It's fair enough about the reverse sweep, but just because other batsmen wouldn't do it, doesn't make it a great thing to do. Yes, he plays the same way no matter what - but that's a weakness at least as much as it is a strength. Today it was great, tomorrow, in the second innings, it'll make everyone grit their teeth when he gets out to that same reverse sweep ten overs shy of the finishing line.

It's fair play to Sehwag, but to me an all time batsman needs more versatility.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In place of whom? Merchant? To me, the top five in the Indian lineup of Gavaskar, Merchant, Dravid, Tendulkar, and Hazare are pretty set. It's fair enough about the reverse sweep, but just because other batsmen wouldn't do it, doesn't make it a great thing to do. Yes, he plays the same way no matter what - but that's a weakness at least as much as it is a strength. Today it was great, tomorrow, in the second innings, it'll make everyone grit their teeth when he gets out to that same reverse sweep ten overs shy of the finishing line.

It's fair play to Sehwag, but to me an all time batsman needs more versatility.
I reckon if you had an all-time series training camp & it came to a shoot out between Sehwag/Merchant to partner Gavaskar at the top of the order, ATM i think Sehwag might just edge him out tbh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I reckon if you had an all-time series training camp & it came to a shoot out between Sehwag/Merchant to partner Gavaskar at the top of the order, ATM i think Sehwag might just edge him out tbh.
Not with his current second innings average, he wouldn't. And this knock not withstanding, his runs in bowler friendly conditions are quite lacking.

Lostman

State Captain
What a great knock by sehwag!
And i was expecting kumble to dominate the SL batsmen not harbajan.
For SL to have a chance in this mahela and the tail needs to grind out another~100 runs, and then hope that murali and mendis can knock off india again for less than 200.
I believe that Sehwag's second innings average is really bad, and he rarely scores big back to back anyway, so that would give them a really good chance to do so.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not with his current second innings average, he wouldn't. And this knock not withstanding, his runs in bowler friendly conditions are quite lacking.
:laugh: , you are not using your imagination here dawg.

Training camp i.e a net session where the likes of Dev, Amar Singh, Nissar plus all the great Indian spinners bowl to two of em, Sehwag would smash everyone to all parts while Merchant would go about his buisness elegantly.

Plus even if you want to look at it from a statistical point of view yea Sehwag is still very poor againts good bowling attacks in bowler friendly conditions but damn with the ability to get such big scores i'd probably start him with Gavaskar & if he fails then pick Merchant or Mankad (depending on the team balance).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
:laugh: , you are not using your imagination here dawg.

Training camp i.e a net session where the likes of Dev, Amar Singh, Nissar plus all the great Indian spinners bowl to two of em, Sehwag would smash everyone to all parts while Merchant would go about his buisness elegantly.
Or get out first ball. I'll take Merchant's consistency over the first innings flat-track flair of Sehwag, thanks. And I wouldn't even think about that choice, personally.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The problem with Sehwag is that his style of play is mostly meretricious. Yes, he can dazzle sometimes, but equally as often, he will dissapoint.

ret

International Debutant
For Merchant to be in the all-time Indian X1, he has to be the best Indian opener [thats based on his FC record] .... if anyone is picking Gavaskar first [whose FC record is not better tham Merchant's] and then Merchant over Sehwag [based on Merchant's FC record over Sehwag's] then thats poor thinking .... if Merchant is in the X1 then it should be because he is the #1 pick and then it becomes Gavaskar vs Sehwag

Sehwag is good enough to be in the Indian X1 at any position as, imo, he is one of the four all time Indian batting greats, along with Tendulkar, Gavaskar and Dravid. others are in a different league