• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

pup11

International Coach
The new ball is due after 15 overs tomorrow so in the morning session i would start with Hogg and Johnson and give the new ball to Clark and Lee.
I just don't think Johnson is using the new ball well enough, he keeps on slanting the ball away from right handers hardly making them play anything with the new ball, Clark would pitch the new ball in right areas and make the batsmen play every ball and hence make it tougher for them.
Btw the morning session is gonna be really important for both the teams and it could pretty much decide the fate of this game.

tooextracool

International Coach
hmmmm, Shane Warne's shoulder. Steve Waugh and Gillespie after they crashed into each other. Gillespie in general for a long time. Brett Lee had a fracture in his back. Glenn McGrath's ankle in the 2005 Ashes. Stuart MacGill's wrist before the start of this series. Justin Langer's injuries in the last twelve months of his career. Shaun Tait's elbow.

Add to that McGrath's absence on family leave for the best part of a year, and Shane Warne's self-inflicted one year absence, and I don't think there's much of a case to say that Australia hasn't had to deal with injuries and forced absences.

If we get fewer chronic injury problems with particular players, I would indeed put that down to a superior fitness program and work ethic amongst the players.
I am not talking about minor injuries. If that were the case I would need a calculator to count the list of English players who get injured seemingly after every series. My point is that many of the English players have had career ending injuries. Jones has played 18 tests in 5 years, Gough missed pretty much half of his career through injury( barely played a game after 2001 and was half the bowler when he did), Craig White went from being an absolutely brilliant bowler to a very ordinary one almost overnight as a result of injuries, Atherton played half of his career with a bad back which he himself suggests severely hampered his career and now Flintoff will probably never be as good as he was in the Ashes in 2005 because of his ankle(if he ever plays again). How on earth that is comparable to Mcgrath, waugh and warne-all playing over 100 tests is beyond my comprehension or any of the above players you have mentioned. Those injuries kept them out for a couple of series at best, certainly not career threatening injuries. And it doesnt matter whether you have the best trainers, support staff, superior fitness programs or whatever you want, none of them can prevent you from twisting your ankle in the middle or tearing your knee ligaments.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I am not talking about minor injuries. If that were the case I would need a calculator to count the list of English players who get injured seemingly after every series. My point is that many of the English players have had career ending injuries. Jones has played 18 tests in 5 years, Gough missed pretty much half of his career through injury( barely played a game after 2001 and was half the bowler when he did), Craig White went from being an absolutely brilliant bowler to a very ordinary one almost overnight as a result of injuries, Atherton played half of his career with a bad back which he himself suggests severely hampered his career and now Flintoff will probably never be as good as he was in the Ashes in 2005 because of his ankle(if he ever plays again). How on earth that is comparable to Mcgrath, waugh and warne-all playing over 100 tests is beyond my comprehension or any of the above players you have mentioned. Those injuries kept them out for a couple of series at best, certainly not career threatening injuries. And it doesnt matter whether you have the best trainers, support staff, superior fitness programs or whatever you want, none of them can prevent you from twisting your ankle in the middle or tearing your knee ligaments.
Yeah, a shoulder reco is not a career-threatening/ending injury for 99% of wrist-spinners. You can split hairs if you want about what you MEANT to say, IMO you're point is incorrect. Simon Jones I'll give you - but that's a rare case IMO, and other teams all have similar, including Bond in NZ and Watson with Aus.

BTW - quite amused that it was only after disagreeing with my other post that you felt it necessary to go back 24hrs into the thread to find another comment of mine to disagree with...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Best day of cricket, though I'm as red as a commie. So hot.

Laxman's innings was beautiful, the best I have ever seen live. Thought Lee bowled superbly, Clark steady, Johnson's first spell was awful but he improved as the match went on. George Bradley Hogg is a wonderful man. Fielded on the boundary in front of we were (Bay 8) and we loved it. Was in an awesome section of the crowd and we were on the telly quite a lot. Very good times. We got a wave from all the players and also Steve Bucknor, he did a hilarious double arm wave.

Other highlights were Hogg getting Laxman out, crowd went beserk, Dravid being on 18 for about four years, and then getting a standing ovation when he hit a single. Very nice to see Tendulkar bat. Ganguly looked a bit shaky against Lee and Hogg, but hit some nice shots aswell. Reckon Lee will pick up Tendulkar tomorrow tbh.

Was extremely joyous to see Symonds make his highest ever Test score aswell. Lee and especially Johnson also looked extremely natural at the crease.

All in all, such a good day. Lot of luck for the Indians aswell which should surely stop a lot of silly comments on here.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, I haven't seen him keep like that for a long time.

Just had 'The Great Walking Debate' on ACA...gee they're wankers! haha

They show the Symonds stumping from behind the keeper as some sort of definitive proof he was out...spend more than 5 minutes trying to come up with ideas guys!
AWTA.

That would hurt us. Our only hope to win this match would be to bowl the Indians out by tea tomorrow before any rain begins.
Haha, welcome, gun user name.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
except that dropped catches are not 'bad luck'. They are down to cricketing skill. Its about as ridiculous as claiming that Laxman's dismissal was down to bad luck because 9 out of 10 times he would not have hit that shot to the fielder.
Wickets of a no-ball are much the same, especially when you overstep by about a foot it does give any bowler a significant advantage. AFAIC, its the bowlers fault and no one elses for not getting the wicket. I dont really think luck has evened out yet, India have most certainly had the bad side of it and the fact that Andrew Symonds alone had more luck than the whole Indian side did today emphasises that.
Depends on your perspective - playing a falso shot and getting away with it is "lucky."

The fact that the umpires and Australian fieldsmen didnt capitalise on a no. of errors doesnt change that fact

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Two excerpts from CricInfo that I was extremely proud to start/participate in -

CricInfo said:
A few moments after tea, Rahul Dravid received the sort of ovation that is usually reserved for a special hundred. He was on 18 for 40 balls and the crowd decided it was time to egg him on to get to 19. The first ten deliveries he received following the break had the crowd glued to the action, with them cheering as if he was on 99 and sighing when he left or blocked. Finally he pushed towards extra cover and brought up a single, prompting more raucous applause. Dravid sportingly raised his bat to prolong the ironic ovation.
CricInfo said:
Brad Hogg wasn't used until the 42nd over and after tea the crowd tired of waiting for their new hero, who won them with 79 on day one. "Hoggy, Hoggy", they chanted as they waited for him to be employed and roared whenever he fielded the ball. The attention continued and he repaid the support with the wicket of Laxman.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah, a shoulder reco is not a career-threatening/ending injury for 99% of wrist-spinners. You can split hairs if you want about what you MEANT to say, IMO you're point is incorrect. Simon Jones I'll give you - but that's a rare case IMO, and other teams all have similar, including Bond in NZ and Watson with Aus.
Err as i mentioned earlier NZ are the team WORST hit by injuries. They cant put the same combination on the field for longer than a game, and EVERY one of their faster bowlers since the days of Richard Hadlee have been SEVERELY affected by injury. Lets look at their list:

Chris Cairns-played 62 tests over 15 years, suffering from every type of injury under the sun.
Dion Nash- played 32 tests over 9 years, suffering from recurring back injuries
O'Connor-played 19 tests, retired at age 30 due to recurring knee injuries
Simon Doull-back and knee injuries played 32 tests in 9 years retiring at 31.
Shane Bond-back, played 17 tests in 7 years.
Geoff Allott-back, played 10 tests in 4 years retired at age 28.
Tuffey-shoulder, played 22 tests in 7 years.
and now things seem to be going the same way for Mills and Franklin.
There is little doubt in my mind that some countries such as NZ and England have suffered more than most from injuries, whereas some such as Australia have had particularly good luck in that respect.

BTW - quite amused that it was only after disagreeing with my other post that you felt it necessary to go back 24hrs into the thread to find another comment of mine to disagree with...
Not really. i generally read the entire threads worth of posts during the days play to get other perspectives of performances. Both were direct responses to my posts and incase
you dont know me well enough, i very rarely dont respond to arguments made against my own posts when i see them.

tooextracool

International Coach
Depends on your perspective - playing a falso shot and getting away with it is "lucky."

The fact that the umpires and Australian fieldsmen didnt capitalise on a no. of errors doesnt change that fact
The game is played between 2 teams. Not between the umpire and the team of players. As such if a team makes incompetent errors from fielding or bowling then they dont deserve to get wickets. Simple as. On the other hand if the umpire makes wrong decisions, then this is not the case as the players have done everything right to deserve the wicket. Like it or not, fielding and general discipline are as important aspects of the game as plain bowling and batting. Australia have not caught their chances and they have taken a wicket while overstepping, this IMO is all their own fault, its not down to 'bad luck'.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Err as i mentioned earlier NZ are the team WORST hit by injuries. They cant put the same combination on the field for longer than a game, and EVERY one of their faster bowlers since the days of Richard Hadlee have been SEVERELY affected by injury. Lets look at their list:

Chris Cairns-played 62 tests over 15 years, suffering from every type of injury under the sun.
Dion Nash- played 32 tests over 9 years, suffering from recurring back injuries
O'Connor-played 19 tests, retired at age 30 due to recurring knee injuries
Simon Doull-back and knee injuries played 32 tests in 9 years retiring at 31.
Shane Bond-back, played 17 tests in 7 years.
Geoff Allott-back, played 10 tests in 4 years retired at age 28.
Tuffey-shoulder, played 22 tests in 7 years.
and now things seem to be going the same way for Mills and Franklin.
There is little doubt in my mind that some countries such as NZ and England have suffered more than most from injuries, whereas some such as Australia have had particularly good luck in that respect.

QUOTE]

Aside from injuries, all those bowlers have one thing in common - actions that placed incredible strain on their bodies

tooextracool

International Coach
Aside from injuries, all those bowlers have one thing in common - actions that placed incredible strain on their bodies
Not really, while not many of them had the free flowing actions of Kapil Dev of Glenn Mcgrath, their actions were not severly worse than those of Gillespie, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini or even Stuart Clark. Dion Nash for one had a extremely decent action, about as good as one can get IMO without putting too much strain on your back. Shayne O'Connor and Geoff Allott had conventional left armers bowling actions. The fact that many of them barely even managed more than 30 odd tests while someone like Lasith Malinga has already played more is nothing less than bad luck for mine.

Laurrz

International Debutant
The game is played between 2 teams. Not between the umpire and the team of players. As such if a team makes incompetent errors from fielding or bowling then they dont deserve to get wickets. Simple as. On the other hand if the umpire makes wrong decisions, then this is not the case as the players have done everything right to deserve the wicket. Like it or not, fielding and general discipline are as important aspects of the game as plain bowling and batting. Australia have not caught their chances and they have taken a wicket while overstepping, this IMO is all their own fault, its not down to 'bad luck'.
nobody is saying Aussies have had bad luck
but India have had good luck... (which i understand is normal..in the game)

Evermind

International Debutant
Remember that V.V.S. Laxman was responsible for their current run rate ending up higher than expected. But if we can get Tendulkar or Ganguly out in the first session tomorrow, dismiss Dhoni (considering his poor form) and finish off the tail in the afternoon session, we would be set up in a comfortable position rain or no rain.
Australia are in a very strong position ATM. If I were an Aussie I wouldn't be worried - after Ganguly and Tendulkar, you're essentially into the tail. Yuvraj and Dhoni are walking wickets, and both are gonna be outscored by Brett Lee in this series, by the looks of it :laugh: