• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Well the thing is I'd seen plenty of Walsh. It's just that he wasn't great when I saw him. Easily overshadowed by Ambrose and Bishop. It's a bit like when Indian fans underrate Warne.
LOL. It's nothing like any of that. You should just try to lecture others less on how they are not good at rating players when there are so many holes in your grasp of careers of non Aussie greats.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm a bit with Burgey on this. Pollock was great but he seems to be passing from underrated into overrated territory.

I think Pollock's batting is often still underrated though.

Burgey

He averaged 47 in SA v Australia and his overall SR against them was 80 odd, home and away. And it was over 15 odd tests across a decade, so it' snot like it was a one series sort of thing. No worries if you want to mark Botham down for not performing vs WI, but Pollock needs the same treatment for how he went vs Australia. Honestly, I watched all the SA v Aus tests of that era, and there were some crackers,. But SA performed well in them despite Pollock, not because of him.

Last edited:

Burgey

This is very true. The final bowling stats that he has is quite surprising to me. I don't think he struck any kind of fear factor to the batsmen.
Yeah I agree with that. I'm surprised by it too. I mean, he's by no means awful and was a great servant, but I never thought of him as an ATG bowler. I wouldn't even have him in the top three of SA bowlers I've seen post admission (Steyn, Donald, Rabada ftr).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if it's because the Aussies of the era got to practice against a much better version of Pollock.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He averaged 47 in SA v Australia and his overall SR against them was 80 odd, home and away. And it was over 15 odd tests across a decade, so it' snot like it was a one series sort of thing. No worries if you want to mark Botham down for not performing vs WI, but Pollock needs the same treatment for how he went vs Australia. Honestly, I watched all the SA v Aus tests of that era, and there were some crackers,. But SA performed well in them despite Pollock, not because of him.
Killed it in the KO WC game against us in '99 though

bagapath

International Captain
This thread seems to have turned into a competition about who can express the most outrageously wrong opinion. Bagabath, no need to continue with the crazy botham comparisons. You won already with the Ntini=Pollock. Not that it is necessarily the worst comparison on this thread, but it is the most easily debunkable seeing as they were teammates for most of their careers.

Ntini averages 37 away. The people we normally mock for being htbs (Anderson, jadedja etc) would throw up in their own mouths at the thought of those kind of stats
I decide when to take my insulin. So I will decide when to stop posting on this thread. Thanks Bolo.

Burgey

That may well have something to do with it. I don't want to bag the bloke - he was obviously a fine bowler and took on the SA captaincy young and at a tough time for the side. His overall record says ATG (23 is none too shabby a bowling average, and he bowled for a decade plus, had great control and a skiddy enough bouncer) but yeah, just never struck me as a "hide behind the lounge" sort of bowler like an Ambrose or even a Donald when he was on song (usually about six overs before he pulled a heartlige as well tbf).

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He was mediocre against Australia, but you can't discount the rest of his bowling career based on the 13 tests he played against Australia. The rest of his career was really high quality. He was never a strike bowler but his accuracy and frugalness was a massive asset to his team.