• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Slifer

International Captain
McGrath basically never bothered with the tail.

Botham was the bigger match winner and on field personality than Walsh but Walsh had a better career as a bowler.

This thread has made me rethink Walsh a bit. I've always seen him as a dramatic step down from Curtley but maybe I'm interesting him a bit. I'd still pick half a dozen other West Indies quicks over him but perhaps he was better than I was giving him credit for. Tbf I mostly saw him play in Australia and he was definitely a support act over here.
Just look at his stats for a start. 500 wkts at 24. Walsh averaged sub 30 vs all teams (I'm not counting 3 tests vs SL). The only place he really struggled was away to Australia. Walsh's sr and wpm pale in comparison to his contemporaries because when Walsh came into the team in 84 in Australia he was the 4th bowler in an outstanding lineup. Invariably, Walsh got the older ball bowling into the wind and had very few wickets to take after his teammates had cleaned up ahead of him. Post I'd say 98 or so, walsh just got better and better. He had the new ball regularly and only Ambrose to compete with for wickets. I took '98 because that's when Bishop retired for good. That period is probably a true reflection of what Walsh should've been. In any event, the entire product was still a great career.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Along with Bishop the Benjamins were no longer there post 98 either

It's really sad how gradually the pace stocks dwindled. From having potential ATGs unable to find a place in the 80s(Croft and Clarke) to the 3rd and 4th seamers still being very threatening on their day in the 90s (Benjamins, Bishop and Patterson) to only Walsh and Ambrose with no support cast, then finally Walsh as an aging lone wolf in 2001

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
And lol now look at what we have left. Holder and Roach are decent but afaic, they're home track bullies. Nothing more

Logan

U19 Captain
Walsh : 519 wickets @ 24

Botham : 383 wickets @ 28

Pollock : 423 wickets @ 23

I would rate them in this order
1. Pollock
2. Walsh
3. Botham

This thread has made me rethink Walsh a bit. I've always seen him as a dramatic step down from Curtley .
That’s because Ambrose was one of Top 10 or even Top 5 fast bowlers of all time.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Walsh : 519 wickets @ 24

Botham : 383 wickets @ 28

Pollock : 423 wickets @ 23

I would rate them in this order
1. Pollock
2. Walsh
3. Botham

That’s because Ambrose was one of Top 10 or even Top 5 fast bowlers of all time.
According to Bag, it should be Botham>Pollock>Walsh. I honestly think he's trolling at this point. Pollock > Walsh I can accept but not Botham

Slifer

International Captain
That's because botham isn't. Not even remotely close. FWIW walsh is probably outside a wi top 5 as well but who knows.

Marshall
Ambrose
Garner
Holding
????

Maybe Walsh is in the top 5 after all.

bagapath

International Captain
McGrath only had 2 more fifers than Beefy in a lot more matches too
Shows how good beefy was in that part of his his career. Thanks for pointing it out. He was the most exciting cricketer and one of the greatest match winning bowlers in the world. Could be as good as Lillee or holding on his day. (Imran hadlee and Marshall attained greatness after 1982)

Also shows how ****** beefy was for the last third of his career. Falling from Barnes level to Mohammad Sami.

bagapath

International Captain
Add Pollock to that. He took what 16 five fors and 1 ten for in 108 tests. I guess according to Bag, Beefy is better than pollock as well.
That’s right. But not just because of the fivefers. Garner is a giant of a bowler with just seven five fers

I rate Botham above pollock and Walsh because he ran through batting line ups more often than them. Shaun and Courtney are the ringo Starrs. Greatish. But one step below definitely great zone.

bagapath

International Captain
Definitely inferior to Beefy in their core strength XI (the last 40 years)

Mike Atherton
John Wright
Nasser Hussein
Kim Hughes (c)
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Shaun Pollock (AR)
Jason Gillespie
James Anderson
Shoaib Akhtar
Courtney Walsh
Wicket keeper +

Last edited: