• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think cricket has a lot of terminology which makes it difficult, and a lot of anglicisms.. Stuff like Silly mid off and, ambled through for a leg-bye.. Its an entirely different vocabulary you have to learn, particularly if you are not a native English speaker.. My girlfriend was listening in the car to Henry Blofeld commentating and did not even know there was a game of cricket going on.. But she'll quite happily watch T20 and give a better opinion than Danny Morrison, a man who played the game at the very highest level.. So yeah it is all about being able to see the game when describing it, very important

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I find cricket is something that is very hard to explain without having some visual aid. I can understand someone not understanding anything about it if they'd never so much as seen it.

It's one of those sports that's definitely more of a "learning by doing" thing. Or "watching", in this case.
Yeah, I agree with this. People need to be shown the game for them to understand it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My Mum took a German friend who she works with to an ODI a few years back. Seemed to be enjoying it but after about an hour asked when they are going to do a 'run.' She obviously thought it was like baseball and was waiting for them to run around the boundary.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It still amuses me that (barring some unsavoury scenes at Vicarage Road and the Emirates Stadium) the only serious instance of crowd trouble I've seen at a sporting event was at a cricket match, and a domestic one at that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My Mum took a German friend who she works with to an ODI a few years back. Seemed to be enjoying it but after about an hour asked when they are going to do a 'run.' She obviously thought it was like baseball and was waiting for them to run around the boundary.
One for the Loko thread that, imagine it. Shane Watson would be so bad.

Riggins

International Captain
A french guy at the work xmas show asked me to explain what was going on in the game that broke out the other day. I had no idea what to say.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think cricket has a lot of terminology which makes it difficult, and a lot of anglicisms.. Stuff like Silly mid off and, ambled through for a leg-bye.. Its an entirely different vocabulary you have to learn, particularly if you are not a native English speaker.. My girlfriend was listening in the car to Henry Blofeld commentating and did not even know there was a game of cricket going on.. But she'll quite happily watch T20 and give a better opinion than Danny Morrison, a man who played the game at the very highest level.. So yeah it is all about being able to see the game when describing it, very important
:laugh: Just imagined hearing "ambled through for a leg bye" and having no idea what it meant. That would **** you.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have had people genuinely ask me on more than one occasion when the test matches are going to end and the actual matches start.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I have had people genuinely ask me on more than one occasion when the test matches are going to end and the actual matches start.
Haha, used to think the same when I was a pre-teen. "Who cares we lost. It was just practice for the one day matches, right?"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
hope you give them that specific look of disdain that all fans of test cricket have mastered giving to non-test fans over the years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
presumably that is a pic of the non-test fans reacting to my look of disdain?

My look of disdain is this ftr: