• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the Worst International players U've seen?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ramkumar_gr said:
Pedro, just look at my analysis.

SS Das(IND)(BT Average 34.89 2 hundreds against ZIM)
B Pockok(NZ)(BT Average 22)
G Hick(ENG) ( BT Average 31)
M Ramprakash(ENG)(BT Average 27)
J Rudolph(SA) ( BT Av 38 60% runs against Bangladesh and Zim)
S Watson(AUS) (BT 21 Bowling 98.00)
P Patel(IND) (BT 36 Missed catches & Missed stumpings 100)
Ronnie Irani(ENG) ( BT 17 Bowling 38)
Rawl Lewis(WI) ( BT 4.3 Bowling 318.00)
Patterson Thompson(WI) ( BT 8 Bow 43)
Ian Salisbury(ENG) ( BT 16.7 Bowl 77)

If we assume every player performs according to their average,
the total they will make 239

And If we assume all 5 bowlers share 2 wickets each, the opposition team
will end up scoring 1148. This is for an international contest.

Even if you give 30% of benefit to our worst side during club matches, still they will manage to lose by a mammoth margin

So please tell us the Test averages of these club players who will beat them based on those figures...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
Of course, the trouble with having Big Robert in the frame is that it doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone else.
I saw Rob Key on telly with Ian Ward on Sky Sports News a couple of days ago - I took notice because a friend of mine in the game told me that he's really been working hard. I looked in and can say that he is positively sylph-like.

Down to his last 3 chins.

greg

International Debutant
Graeme Hick's test match innings from his first test match century vs India until the end of the South Africa tour in 95/6 when he was arguably at the peak of his international powers:

178, 47, 68, 26, 34, 22, 20, 64, 80, 36, 23, 96, 33, 5, 40, 6, 34, 59, 20, 18, 58, 37, 20, 38, 11, 25, 110, 39, 81*, 3, 80, 23, 2, 2, 98*, 18, 27, 13, 67, 3, 3, 118*, 7, 96, 51*, 141, 6, 4, 31*, 62 the vast majority against unarguably high quality bowling attacks.

Hardly a story of sustained mediocrity, more a tale of what might have been. Opinions now of Hick are always coloured by the exaggerated expectations of him and the easy target that was his final test match average. And he remained comfortably England's best ODI batsman long after he was discarded in that form of the game.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And he was always good at beating county attacks, so he'd average 100 against these "club sides". As would Rampers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I always Hick was shut out too soon. I remember a 60 odd of his at Perth, coming in at 7. Was an amazing counter attack.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
I always Hick was shut out too soon. I remember a 60 odd of his at Perth, coming in at 7. Was an amazing counter attack.
After all your comments, Hick can be comfortably replaced by Neil Fairbrother who averaged 15.64 from 10 tests, and will go down as one of the worst batsmen in the test cricket history.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Our intention is to present a team, which dont even leave themselves the least possible chance of victory. After all your inputs, the team is improving(????) all the time and this is how it stands now.

Debang Gandhi
B Pockok
Neil Fairbrother
M Ramprakash
J Rudolph
S Watson
P Patel
Ronnie Irani
Ian Salisbury
Rawl Lewis
Patterson Thompson

I feel there is still some scope for "improvement"

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Are we talking of the worst cricketers as in 'worst' or the cricketers with the worst stats as in 'statistics ??

Because if it is the latter, I propose the name, as captain if you please, of one Garfield S.A Sobers from Barbados as the worst ever one day batsman.

I can find more such worthies if we clarify the criteria please. :)

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Are we talking of the worst cricketers as in 'worst' or the cricketers with the worst stats as in 'statistics ??

Because if it is the latter, I propose the name, as captain if you please, of one Garfield S.A Sobers from Barbados as the worst ever one day batsman.

I can find more such worthies if we clarify the criteria please. :)
Make no mistake about that. We are talking about cricketers who were given a reasonably longer run and still failed to make any impression at the international stage and came a cropper in test matches.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ramkumar_gr said:
Make no mistake about that. We are talking about cricketers who were given
a reasonably longer run
and still
failed to make any impression
at the international stage and came a cropper in test matches.
Could you define the terms, reasonably longer (sic) run
and
make an impression please. They are a bit vague for me :huh:

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Could you define the terms, reasonably longer (sic) run
and
make an impression please. They are a bit vague for me :huh:
It would be better if you can tell me how to do this (Rating a player as bad). I may learn a thing or two from you.

Do you want to go by the first class record ??

i have not gone by statistics alone for sure.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Inshan Ali West Indian left arm spinner of the 70's.
- Played 12 tests as a pure bowler (in my limited knowledge since he batted at 8,9 and 10)
- Took 34 wickets at 47.7 and a strike rate of 109.3 !!

Bad enough ?

2. Tapash Baisya Pacer for Bangla Desh (bats at 9 and 10)
- Has played 21 tests so far
- 36 wickets at 59.4
- strike rate 93.8

Bad enough ??

3. Mathew Hart. NZL left arm spinner of the 90's- played 14 tests as spinner (batted mostly at no 8)
- got 29 wkts at 49.8 each
- strike rate 106.4

Bad enough sir ???

4. Mohammad Sami : Pakistani SUPER FAST bowler
- has played 21 tests till date (not a batsman to the best of my limited knowledge)
- 58 wkts at 47 runs each
- strike rate 81.9

Not a statistical marvel, you agree m'lord :)

I rest my case for bowlers for the time being :sleep:

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
1. Inshan Ali West Indian left arm spinner of the 70's.
- Played 12 tests as a pure bowler (in my limited knowledge since he batted at 8,9 and 10)
- Took 34 wickets at 47.7 and a strike rate of 109.3 !!

Bad enough ?

2. Tapash Baisya Pacer for Bangla Desh (bats at 9 and 10)
- Has played 21 tests so far
- 36 wickets at 59.4
- strike rate 93.8

Bad enough ??

3. Mathew Hart. NZL left arm spinner of the 90's- played 14 tests as spinner (batted mostly at no 8)
- got 29 wkts at 49.8 each
- strike rate 106.4

Bad enough sir ???

4. Mohammad Sami : Pakistani SUPER FAST bowler
- has played 21 tests till date (not a batsman to the best of my limited knowledge)
- 58 wkts at 47 runs each
- strike rate 81.9

Not a statistical marvel, you agree m'lord :)

I rest my case for bowlers for the time being :sleep:
What point is that you want to drive home? Yes there are other worser players agreed.
I understand. I have made the worst possible XI. As i have said, it can be "improved" all the time.

On the first place, i have not considered Bangladesh and Zimbabwe at all.

Next thing is Mathew Hart and Mohammed Sami look to be competent batsmen for me.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ramkumar_gr said:
What point is that you want to drive home? .
You really dont get it ??

You are kidding , right ?

The worst players by statistical criteria alone will always throw up this kind of a choice,. I can do the same for the best players if you want. I am trying to tap home (hammer - never) ever so politely is, that, in my humble opinion, the worst players need not be the one's with the worst statistical record ! Didnt get it ?

Oh sh**

ramkumar_gr said:
Next thing is Mathew Hart and Mohammed Sami look to be competent batsmen for me.
Ha ha ha. You sure had me fooled for a while. I was starting to believe that you didnt have a sense of humour.

hahaha indeed. :D

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
You really dont get it ??

You are kidding , right ?

The worst players by statistical criteria alone will always throw up this kind of a choice,. I can do the same for the best players if you want. I am trying to tap home (hammer - never) ever so politely is, that, in my humble opinion, the worst players need not be the one's with the worst statistical record ! Didnt get it ?

Oh sh**

Ha ha ha. You sure had me fooled for a while. I was starting to believe that you didnt have a sense of humour.

hahaha indeed. :D
The number of posts being higher does not neccessarily mean that better sense has to prevail. I do not want to waste time confronting with you.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
ramkumar_gr said:
The number of posts being higher does not neccessarily mean that better sense has to prevail. I do not want to waste time confronting with you.
Where has he suggested that post counts matter?

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Where has he suggested that post counts matter?
What i have done is one of the ways of identifying the worst players. If SJS has got other solutions, i am more than receptive to them. Just confronting for the sake of doing that looks silly.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
ramkumar_gr said:
What i have done is one of the ways of identifying the worst players. If SJS has got other solutions, i am more than receptive to them. Just confronting for the sake of doing that looks silly.
I think that he was pulling your leg a bit (at first).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Relax Ram :)

I can go into the details of what happened but its not worth it. So forget it.

Just a mionor point. U may think about it or ignore it.

If someone is going to ask,,,
Who are the Worst International players U've seen?
then people should be allowed to say who "they" think are the worst, from what "they" have seen.

It doesnt need another criteria, however appropriate it may appear to you.

If stats are to be used, then we dont have to ask any one, give me \the statistical boundaries, minimum so many tests, so and so position in the batting order for batsmen and for bowlers and so on and I will give you the names from the data that exists and is factual. It will take half an hour maximum.

BUT where is then the question of asking people on the thread who "they" think are the worst.

Get my point ??

Within statistical limits there will be the same set of names for every one if they researched right.

My humble two penny worthless. :sleep:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Plenty of people from Zim and Bangladesh..

As for the top teams?

Parthiv Patel
Thami Tsolekile
Rikki Clarke
Robbie Peterson
Nathan Hauritz