• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

cover drive man

International Captain
Well he's married now, but even if he was shagging every bimbo in sight, I could care less, TBH. Certainly not one of the reasons I don't want him as captain.
But you'll get pathetic so called "News" Jumping over anything like that, would make our side even more of a laughing stock.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
1) Must be capable of making the team on merit (KP does, Strauss probably, Brearley definately not)
2) Must be capable and willing to put the team inerests ahead of individual (Im not sure KP can)
3) Ideally have experience and be a keen student of the game (I dont think KP has this)
4) The best player of an average team should not carry additional pressures of captaincy. They carry enough weight having the expectations of performance
5) They must be skilled in off field politics and diplomcy. So much of International captaincy is off field roles. KP isnt the right type.

KP himself and KP type of player isnt suitable for International captaincy. Its a double no-no in this case.

Absolute shambles. Why the captains are resigning when the selectors are not is beyon me.
Personally I feel KP fills criteria 1 to 3 (I think he is a team player personally, however arrogant, and he has always struck me as a keen student of the game, and potentially tactically astute). 4 is potentially a problem, but not necessarily. We have seen some individuals actually improved by the captaincy, and I think KP has the right character to be one of these. I disagree that 5) is necessary for a captain at all, especially at the current time, I feel someone to stir the pot is required tbh.

I agree that Vaughan should not have resigned instead of the selectors.

Brearley would have been a better choice than Botham (though in my original post I was forgetting that Botham himself took over from Brearley and Brearley could hardly have taken over from himself). Whether he gets in the side on merit or not is irrelevant, a captain must be judged on results, and, for the most part, Brearley achieved results. If the superior captaincy is enough to make up for the poorer batting, then you have to accept the rough with the smooth, the team comes first. But this is drifting away from the point, anyway.

Napier16

Banned
I was making two points.

1) He seems like a person who will be constantly in the eye of the papers due to the life he leads, he's a young fella who likes to have fun fair play to him, but do we want an England captain more celebrity than player?
Isn't he actually pretty professional, dedicated and boring though in actual fact?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
2) It was around last year were Collingwood was captain in a couple of test pieterson would make some pretty bad decisions about when to run and it would often cost his team mates rather than himself.
?

Collingwood has never captained in a Test match. I don't recall this at all.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Pietersen comes out with the team in trouble you think "ahh here's KP, i hope he doesn't screw up or we're ****ed". As opposed to Mahela Jawardene, the best of the current international captains IMO, when he comes out with the team in trouble you think, "ah it's okay, Mahela's here, he'll dig in and help us out."

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But you'll get pathetic so called "News" Jumping over anything like that, would make our side even more of a laughing stock.
AS I say, don't care, wouldn't read it. If he won cricket matches, he could go through a monastery. Maybe was why Shane Warne wasn't made captain of Oz, but I think the selectors were wrong on that one. On-field activities should be the only thing in consideration. I don't think KP would be terribly good at that, which is why I wouldn't pick him.

I wouldn't say no to Vanessa Nimmo or Jessica Taylor either. Yet I'm not fussy, I guess, or ever likely to be England captain, I suppose.....

cover drive man

International Captain
What exactly?
The dodgy run out thing.

AS I say, don't care, wouldn't read it. If he won cricket matches, he could go through a monastery. Maybe was why Shane Warne wasn't made captain of Oz, but I think the selectors were wrong on that one. On-field activities should be the only thing in consideration. I don't think KP would be terribly good at that, which is why I wouldn't pick him.

I wouldn't say no to Vanessa Nimmo or Jessica Taylor either. Yet I'm not fussy, I guess, or ever likely to be England captain, I suppose.....
Look what happened to Bill Clinton he did some good things and was a pretty decent president the the Lewinsky thing and unfortunately his personal life got wound up with his professional life.

Uppercut

The dodgy run out thing.

Look what happened to Bill Clinton he did some good things and was a pretty decent president the the Lewinsky thing and unfortunately his personal life got wound up with his professional life.
It shouldn't have though. That was just American politics being ridiculous as per usual. Personal life should not affect your ability to do a job, whether it be US president, captain of Australia or captain of England.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Politician and sportsmen are different things though. Politicians give us waffle about morals and such when they get elected, don't think this will be KPs route :unsure: to office. Anyway Clinton served two terms which is all you can do in the states. Gave Letterman and Leno something to make jokes about, will be forgotten in 20 years time. Hardly Watergate was it?

Anyway I don't know why I got into this, I passionately hope the ****e won't be our captain. So if it counts against him, YAY.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It shouldn't have though. That was just American politics being ridiculous as per usual. Personal life should not affect your ability to do a job, whether it be US president, captain of Australia or captain of England.
One of the most naive things I have ever heard.

Leaving aside the cricket, the personal life of US President greatly effects his ability to do the job as it becomes a potentially massive security risk.

Uppercut

One of the most naive things I have ever heard.

Leaving aside the cricket, the personal life of US President greatly effects his ability to do the job as it becomes a potentially massive security risk.
Yeah but getting a quickie from Monica under the table isn't.

Maybe i came across as making a general point when i was really referring to the specific respective situations.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but getting a quickie from Monica under the table isn't.
That 1 incident (and the conservative right and its pursiut of Clinton) clogged all politics and prevented the government working.

That 'quickie' (and the fallout) tied up the President, Congress and Senate and prevented any real legislation and discussion on other important issues.

The calls for his impeachment (as he lied under oath) nearly caused the shortterm breakdown of democracy in the United States.

Personal lives (including this incident) have a massive impact. Things dont happen in a bubble. Clinton 'dipping his cigar' (both literally and figuratively) may not sound like much, but in the context of party politics, national security and purgery laws then it has serious implications.

Last edited: