• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would say Bell should bat at 3 and somebody else take his place at no.5, or one can think of bringing in Key into the side too, btw is this the end of Vaughan, or would he get a chance to add to the number of his test caps.
I really hate Bell at three - five and six is his position and IMO always has been.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, right. That's a pointless question TBH. I wouldn't have selected that squad, so I can't be expected to work with it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh, right. That's a pointless question TBH. I wouldn't have selected that squad, so I can't be expected to work with it.
Course you can, it's a position captains find themselves in all the time.

Looking at the squad available I think I would go Strauss-Cook-Pietersen-Bell-Colly-Bopara

Though I'd actually be seriously tempted to stick Flintoff or Ambrose at six and go with Broad or Harmison, simply because I don't trust Bopara at all

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Course you can, it's a position captains find themselves in all the time.
And they shouldn't IMO. Either they should have a say in the selection of the squad or should have no say in any form of selection at all. A compromise is the worst possible option.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
My team:

Squad Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Tim Ambrose (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Steve Harmison, Monty Panesar.

Cook
Strauss
*Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
+Ambrose
Broad
Harmison
Anderson
Panesar

And the ODIs:

Squad Alastair Cook, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Owais Shah, Ian Bell, Samit Patel, Paul Collingwood, Matt Prior (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Chris Tremlett, Luke Wright.

Cook
Bell
*Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Shah
+Prior
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom/Tremlett [based on fitness]
Anderson

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just out of interest, what position does he usually bat for Warwickshire?
These days, three - and with success. However, he batted five or so in 2001 at the age of 19 and scored a crateload, then was promoted to three (for no good reason) and in 2002 and 2003 had shocking seasons.

I dread to think how good he might have been had he batted five for Warks in 2002 - he might well have been in the England team at the age of 20 and who knows, might have excelled at five there, and stayed there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My team:

Squad Alastair Cook, Andrew Strauss, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Tim Ambrose (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Steve Harmison, Monty Panesar.

Cook
Strauss
*Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
+Ambrose
Broad
Harmison
Anderson
Panesar
Well, if Anderson has an off-day then it looks like we're relying on Flintoff for a lot of overs :dry:

Very worrying.

jammay123

State 12th Man
My team:

Cook
Strauss
*Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
+Ambrose
Broad
Harmison
Anderson
Panesar

And the ODIs:

Squad Alastair Cook, Ravi Bopara, Kevin Pietersen (capt), Owais Shah, Ian Bell, Samit Patel, Paul Collingwood, Matt Prior (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Chris Tremlett, Luke Wright.

Cook
Bell
*Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Shah
+Prior
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom/Tremlett [based on fitness]
Anderson
not a good idea he blows at odi's

Days of Grace

International Captain
So England have hit the self-destruct button 12 months out from the Ashes. It is a huge mistake i.m.o. to appoint Pietersen as captain. Not only will his ego get in the way of his decision-making, but the captaincy will also greatly affect his batting.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Bopara called in to replace Vaughan who is taking a rest from cricket.

Prior recalled to the ODI side.

****ing lolling so hard here. And I thought NZ was a joke (Marshall etc).

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Lets not get too carried away with bashing England here.

There was really no alternative to Pietersen. Cook is too young (plus needs to focus on his technique first and foremost), Bell too timid, Strauss not guaranteed a spot in the team in the long term, Flintoff still not 100% sure about his fitness and already had his chance.

Add in the fact Pietersen is the first name on the team sheet for Tests / ODI and Twenty20 and it was always going to happen. I also think the captaincy will be the making of him. It will make him more Team focused than just focusing on himself which can only be a good thing.

As for Bopara. He's scored 883 runs at an average of 63 (be it in Division 2) and also has taken a number of wickets (20 @ 25.5) which is a nice bonus. So its not like he's not getting picked on form. Shah on the other hand has 654 runs @ 38.47 and Key 484 runs @ 40.33 (be in Division 1 and as opener).

Obviously averages dont tell the whole story. But it shows that Bopara isnt a mug and has reasons for getting in the squad. Especially given he's so much younger than Shah / Key