• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
So i havnt read through the rest of this post but, who do people think should take over from Vaughan?

Personally, im off the opinion it SHOULDNT be Pietersen. Infact, if im quite honest if i was a selector for the test team id be reluctant to pick him (but thats a different issue). Cook i think would be my pick, or possibly Strauss if Cook doesnt feel up to it!

Cook has the advantage of being young (22 or 23, cant remember exactly!), an almost guaranteed pick for the squad, playing resonably well etc etc. But then i dont think he's played captain much for county (may be wrong!).

For the one day squad, KP may be an option!

Thoughts?

P.S. A salute to Michael Vaughan, he's been a legend and i hope he comes back to the England squad soon!
You wouldn't pick Pietersen? Please go and select for Australia. Kevin Pietersen's the best batsmen in England. By quite a way.

Woodster

International Captain
So what would you call this then:

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...;spanval1=span;template=results;type=allround

Exclude Bdesh and its actually 34. Sorry but if thats even close to acceptable in this day and age then it explains why England are as poor as they are lately. He has maintained his average above 40, but thats only because, once upon a time it was 50.
Also, a batting average of 47.56 in 2007 is a strong indication he has not been out of form for the complete 5 years.

tooextracool

International Coach
Also, a batting average of 47.56 in 2007 is a strong indication he has not been out of form for the complete 5 years.
Well know, obviously anyone who plays for 5 years is likely to have a few good series and Vaughan had a few decent series in that time, but on the whole had been an average player throughout his tenure as captain. Vaughan could potentially have been very good, as anyone whos watched him can tell, but he only lived up to that potential for about a year or so.

simmy

International Regular
I even got emotional with the Vaughan interview and consider myself pretty heartless and harsh in general.

What a player, what a captain. I doubt we will ever see him in an England shirt again and that is so so so sad.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Was thinking that this series was decision point for Vaughan, it was either give up now or captain us in the Ashes because the new guy needs some games to get bedded in. Anyway KP is the only option so he gets it.

Agree with Steds, Paul Horton to come in and bat 3, hell give him the captaincy aswell, he's part Aussie and he captain Lancashires Age-group sides from a young age.

adharcric

International Coach
KP may seem like a poor choice but England don't really have any other viable options at the moment and he may actually thrive with the additional responsibility - the man has confidence, passion and swagger and while that's not enough to be a good captain, you never know - we may just see a different side of him. Collingwood probably realized he might get the test captaincy and that would put even more pressure on him and just pulled out - either way, pretty funny situation as a non-English fan.

Last edited:

gio

U19 Cricketer
I'm not sure if Cook is tough enough to be England captain. I can't see him bossing KP and Freddie around. Give him a few more years in the team with continued success, and he may be ready. I think one of the main reasons Vaughan was so successful as captain, as touched on by Andrew Miller IIRC, is that he took on the Aussies and stood up to them brilliantly in 02-03. Not sure if Cook is up to that yet. Although he definitely has the potential to, rembering the tour game when he smacked 200 of them in 05. But for the moment it is too soon.

I think KP is worth a punt. You never know, it may be crazy enough to work. At this rate, we're going to be pumped off the Aussies anyway, and as it stands KP has probably got enough self confidence to recover from it. I'm not sure if Cook does, yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Honestly dont think Smith had much to do with Hussain's resignation. Hussain was going regardless. Its not even like Hussain lost his last test as captain.
Was simply referring to the coincidence of it being Smith who inflicted the final blow on both occasions. I don't think he did anything more than that in either case. With both Hussain and Vaughan, it was coming anyway. It always is. No captain is going to resign because of 1 bad game. It was the same with Atherton before them as well - even if England had drawn that ARG Test in 1998 which they so damn well should have done but for that stupid run-out, Atherton was still going to give-up the captaincy.

It's just a shame that all three ended on a low when it could have been that bit better. By nature, though, standing down from a job you have done for a long time and will inevitably have come to love doing is never going to be a tea-party.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally id bring Horton in Vaughans empty place
Can't see him playing for England any time in the immediate future, but I am starting to warm to the idea as he's gone well of late. Right now though there are several better candidates.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think that KP is the only player with an aura that can put a bit of fear up SA and then Aus.. Flintoff's stock has fallen rapidly, and I think the other England players are a bit too timid to be a modern captain against the top teams..

pup11

International Coach
Honestly the decision to give-up captaincy by both Vaughan and Collingwood came as a bit of a suprise to me, but i don't think one can really blame the captain for their recent run of bad form, England have just lost their way badly since the Ashes 05, their players seem to get injured frequently (and the x-factor they had before is missing) and the selectors also seem to have gone bonkers post the Ashes, as they are happy to hand over an England cap virtually to anybody.
A captain is only as good as his players, and when Vaughan had a strong squad at his disposal he surely delievered the goods, i hope people remember him for all the good things he achieved during his term as the English captain, and not for his horrible final run.
Pietersen is the only choice atm, but i don't think he is really that good an option for England, he certainly seems to have a attitude problem, but more importantly the last thing England want is to see KP's batting getting effected by captaincy, imo in the longer run somebody like Bell or Cook might prove to be decent leaders.

pup11

International Coach
Can't see him playing for England any time in the immediate future, but I am starting to warm to the idea as he's gone well of late. Right now though there are several better candidates.
I would say Bell should bat at 3 and somebody else take his place at no.5, or one can think of bringing in Key into the side too, btw is this the end of Vaughan, or would he get a chance to add to the number of his test caps.