• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To End All Arguements

scud101

Cricket Spectator
I don't know why people find it so hard to accept the fact that Sourav Ganguly is a world class ODI player. Look at this record in ODI's. I agree, when it comes to tests, he isn't as good as Laxman, Dravid or Sachin, but he would definetely make the cut for my World ODI XI.

[Peace]

Deja moo

International Captain
I am willing to bet the bulk of those 9000 runs have been scored on the sub-continent, where there is minimal pace and bounce......of course it is still a fine achievement to score that many runs but I still feel he is suspect against good, aggressive fast bowling on anything other than a flat piece of concrete.
Unless you include South African , australian , english pitches as flat pieces of concrete.......look up ganguly's averages against them before making these statements.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Scored a lot of runs out here has he?

This is place is like the Sourav Ganguly bloody fan club, fair dinkum.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
Scored a lot of runs out here has he?

This is place is like the Sourav Ganguly bloody fan club, fair dinkum.
Let's see Ponting has scored 67(avg. 22.33) against the likes of Pathan, Balaji, Agarkar, Nehra. Gangs has scored 102(avg. 25.2) against Gillespie, Lee, Bichel & Williams. Take your pick.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
Well, statistically speaking in test cricket all of the Australian top 7 have better averages than Gangers (who averages 41).......Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting (and Steve Waugh) all average 50 or over - Martyn's is around 46, and Langer 44. Katich, although it is early days for him, currently averages 60!
Okay so you want to compare entire Australian lineup with Gangs ?? And since when 41 became a bad Avg esp when a player has so many short comings ?

Ganguly does has a very good ODI average of 42.68.....however, the Aussie line up compares favourably with this:
Clarke 41.69
Hayden 41.00
Ponting 41.74
Bevan 54.63
Gilchrist 36.33 (93.97 S/R)
Martyn 40.92
Lehmann 39.33

Averages aren't everything, but clearly the assertation that "only Ponting comes close to him" is absurd.
Looking at above it does seem that Ganguly has been a better ODI performer than all the australian batsmen barring Bevan who IMO is in a different league. It's funny to see how you keep mentioning Michael Clark (the guy is still in his nappies compared to Gang's) ;)

And dont be mentioning Gilchrist's Strike Rate everytime you mention his avg it wont prove anything, coz Sehwag has a better Strike rate than him and avg almost similar but does that mean he is better than Gilly. Hell No.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Sanz said:
Okay so you want to compare entire Australian lineup with Gangs ?? And since when 41 became a bad Avg esp when a player has so many short comings ?

Er....actually no I didn't want to - but someone else did - I believe it was you who said "the only one who can come close to him is Ponting"
I never said 41 is a bad test average - it's just not as good as ANY of the Aussie batsman.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Sanz said:
Let's see Ponting has scored 67(avg. 22.33) against the likes of Pathan, Balaji, Agarkar, Nehra. Gangs has scored 102(avg. 25.2) against Gillespie, Lee, Bichel & Williams. Take your pick.
Ponting has only scored 67 for the entire VB series? No ****?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
VB Series Run-Scorers

1 AC Gilchrist 431 (6 inns - average 71.83 - SR 121.06)
2 VVS Laxman 414 (8 - average 82.80)
3 Yuvraj Singh 289 (6)
4 A Symonds 273 (7)
5 SM Ervine 265 (7 - SR 101.14)
= R Dravid 265 (7)
7 ML Hayden 249 (7)
8 SV Carlisle 223 (6)
9 RT Ponting 223 (7)
10 MJ Clarke 215 (8)
11 HH Streak 211 (7 - average 52.75)
12 SR Tendulkar 201 (5)
13 MG Bevan 195 (7)
== GW Flower 195 (6)
15 V Sehwag 180 (4)
16 SC Ganguly 168 (7)
17 DR Martyn 122 (8 - SR 101.66)
18 T Taibu 113 (6)
19 RS Gavaskar 90 (6)
20 IJ Harvey 87 (5)

Ponting made 18, 7 & 42 vs India and 21, 37, 63 & 35 vs Zimbabwe.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
Ponting has only scored 67 for the entire VB series? No ****?
Yes Ponting has scored only 67 in the 3 games he has played against India at an avg of 22.33 as opposed to Ganguly's avg 25.5 (including Perth). Now why am I surprised that Ganguly who is bad player of fast bowling has scored at a better avg against a quality Australian attack whereas Ponting who is supposedly a better batsman of fast bowling has score only 67 against a much weaker Indian attack.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Sanz said:
Yes Ponting has scored only 67 in the 3 games he has played against India at an avg of 22.33 as opposed to Ganguly's avg 25.5 (including Perth). Now why am I surprised that Ganguly who is bad player of fast bowling has scored at a better avg against a quality Australian attack whereas Ponting who is supposedly a better batsman of fast bowling has score only 67 against a much weaker Indian attack.
and Ganguly's runs is only against australia?

Australia's pace attack would hardly be called quality....both teams (India and Australia) have not had top quality attacks all series.....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
Er....actually no I didn't want to - but someone else did - I believe it was you who said "the only one who can come close to him is Ponting"
I never said 41 is a bad test average - it's just not as good as ANY of the Aussie batsman.
Well you are one hell of a ganguly hater. You say Gilly, Ponting, Martyn, Hayden are better ODI batsmen than Gangs despite having their avg. lower than him (in some cases you point out the strike rates as well) , when I say Gangs is better than most Aussie batsmen you jump up to the Test Stats and claim it's not as good as any aussie batsmen. Well yes, but isn't same thing true in ODIs ? Do any of the current Aussie batsmen (except Bevan) have an avg better than Gangs ? Now, Dont come up with Bull**** excuses that Gangs runs were scored on flat tracks and against minnows and blah blah blah.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SquidAU said:
and Ganguly's runs is only against australia?
Yes Ganguly's avg in the present VB series against Australia is 25.5 (102 runs in 4 innings)

Australia's pace attack would hardly be called quality....both teams (India and Australia) have not had top quality attacks all series.....
:wow: I am speechless - If Gillespie, Lee,Williams aren't world class, then I dont know who is. :duh:

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Sanz said:
:wow: I am speechless - If Gillespie, Lee,Williams aren't world class, then I dont know who is. :duh: [/B]
They certainly have not been world class this season, without McGrath and warne to lead the attack....it shows the deficiency of the Aussie bowling attack with out the world class players leading them.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Warnie - Well only team that has missed him in this series is 'INDIA'. :lol: :yummy:
Mcgrath would have made a difference but that doesn't mean Lee, Gillespie aren't world class. I hope you are not suggesting that Lee,Gillespie etc are really very ordinary bowlers who look good only in the company of Mcgrath, Are You ??

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Sanz said:
Warnie - Well only team that has missed him in this series is 'INDIA'. :lol: :yummy:
Mcgrath would have made a difference but that doesn't mean Lee, Gillespie aren't world class. I hope you are not suggesting that Lee,Gillespie etc are really very ordinary bowlers who look good only in the company of Mcgrath, Are You ??
Warnie is certainly alot better bowler than MacGill, whom the Indians took a liking too.....

And yes, I am saying, without McGrath, the australian bowling attack was very ordinary....there was no one there holding up an end...no one to keep the batsmen guessing..although I am not suggesting for one moment having McGrath and Warne would have made a difference to the Test series. India have to be congratulated on taking the attack to the Aussies when everyone was saying Australia 4-0!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
orangepitch said:
Unless you include South African , australian , english pitches as flat pieces of concrete.......look up ganguly's averages against them before making these statements.
That's how statistically challenged people make a fool of themselves. :lol: :lol:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SquidAU - Do you think the Current Australian Attack of Lee-Gillespis-Bracken-Williams-Bichel is better than Agarkar-Pathan-Balaji-Nehra-Bhandari ?

Craig

World Traveller
Sanz said:
:wow: I am speechless - If Gillespie, Lee,Williams aren't world class, then I dont know who is. :duh:
I can assure you Lee and Williams arent world class.

I have seen Ganguly hook well, so I dont know why he doesnt play it more often.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
aussie_beater said:
That's how statistically challenged people make a fool of themselves. :lol: :lol:
Is that right?
I can say with absolute certainty that a healthy percentage of those tracks would have been belters. Any argument there?

Last edited: